Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bantry, Cahirciveen Sat wLAN BB

Options
  • 19-07-2003 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

The South West Regional Authority yesterday launched their second Satellite wLAN service in Bantry.

The service is now rolled out in Cahirciveen and Bantry. If they are a success they will look into rolling out in other towns in the Cork - Kerry area, so it's in your interest to make it work.

€20/m for residential, €50/m for business (dunno - 'spose business get priority access?). It's free for the first three months while they trial it. Apparently, and unlike previous Sat offerings, these charges cover all ongoing costs. They say it would need c. 50 subscribers for the service to be viable. Considering the fact that a public awareness meeting in Cahirciveen the other week had an attendance of over 60, this shouldn't be too difficult.

11Mb/s service - obviously this is shared out, so if everyone is on the service they get a corresponding percentage of the entire bandwidth, but then again this is how bandwidth should be shared out, not by some arbitrary speed-limit, i.e. when there's a drought you don't wash your car/water the lawn etc. They've also got some cheeky caching going on, normal I suppose for a Sat solution. Any bs filtering appreciated, though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

What about installation costs? any mention of those? ....

I dunno about Bantry, but Caherciveen is on the side of a hill (pretty much) and so it should be easy to reach most of the town ... provided that they dont put the satellite dish and transmitters at either end of the town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Originally posted by BigEejit
    What about installation costs? any mention of those? ....

Hmm. They could do a bit of cleaning up on the website to make these kind of questions clear. All I can find is:

There is no charge for accessing the service during the field trial. Users will however require a wireless card for either a laptop (PCMCIA Card) or desktop (USB or PCI Card). 3Com have agreed on a government discounted rate for cards which are available from Ildana Teo.

As to the other bits 'n bobs, I guess you'll have to ask. Let us know what you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Spoke to the guy who installed this service, he does some training courses where I work. The 11MB/s is misleading as they are using 802.11b to distribute the service, hence the 11MB/s but iirc the internet connection is a 2MB satellite link. The project was wholly funded by some EU agency or other (I forget which one) on the proviso that the local UDC support and maintain the service.
    This was Cahirciveen I spoke to him about, I was unaware Bantry had been done.

Advertisement