Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca Land Ronaldinho...****!!!

• 19-07-2003 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

This is going to deeply affect Manchester Uniteds hopes of winning Europe.

jus go to football365.com for yourself...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS I don't know what you Manu fans are harping on about. The guy looks like a primadonna and could have caused all sorts of problems. Now you can make an attempt to get Duff.

Its not the end of the world you still have a strong squad and at least it hasn't gotten any uglier :p

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Not exactly a done deal yet - Barcelona claimed that Beckham was all but theirs too.

And if Barcelona steal their man why don't Man U go steal some of theirs - wasn't there talk that you could get Aimar AND Ayala for 25m?Now i know you think Ronaldinho is the best attacking midfielder but would you rather have just Ronaldinho or Aimar/Ayala for the same money? And bringing in two Argentinians might do wonders for Veron. But would they ditch Spain for England?

I still think Man U should keep after Defoe too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Lets just wait and see what happens...just remember, our squad is the same as it was...if not weaker since Becks departed.....

From a supporters point of view, i would make it a priority to go over and look at Ronaldinho and kleberson play....there brazilians...the stuff theyd do would be dead entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

From a supporters point of view, i would make it a priority to go over and look at Ronaldinho and kleberson play....there brazilians...the stuff theyd do would be dead entertaining.

Yeah but im Irish i would rather see an irishman do all that dead entertaining stuff.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

Its not the end of the world, its not like the squad isn't strong enough anyway. They did bring in three players already, its not like they'll have no squad depth. And besides it was never a guarantee that Ronaldinho would help Utd win the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

gandalf is right. We don't need a player who is looking for money and money only. We need one that is hungry for success and one whom is loyal to the club. I think Duff will bring loyalty with him if we do make an offer and get him. If we don't get him I think we should try for deco.

Well now everyone will see i wasnt talking **** before when i said Ronaldinho was easily and i mean EASILY one of the best midfielder in the world. Its a huge pity Utd didnt get him from a football point of view and i still rate its a loss. A big loss. Barcelona have Aimar and Ronaldinho in the same squad now. Lethal. And in my opinion, Utd still dont have a player good enough to replace Beckhams qualities. Duff is not better than Ronaldinho and i would prefer Ronaldinho there ahead of him any time but it aint gonna happen...

From a supporters point of view, im pissed off we didnt get him...but from a reality point of view...i couldnt give a ****. Not as if i get paid for saying how good of a player Ronnie is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

in a way im kinda glad, im a total neutral, not even really an ABU-er, so im sad that we wont be seeing Ronnie's skills week in week out, but this should pave the way for the Dufer move, imagine, an all-irish left hand side at ManYoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I'm mostly pissed off with Kenyon & Fergie , they spent all their efforts in trying to sign Ronnie and neglected supposed other targets.

Escude has moved to Ajax
    Quaresmo has moved to Barca
    D'Alessandro has moved to Wolfsburg.

United have lost out on some talented players this summer and may yet lose out on our star man Duff.

I would be happier to see Duff come than Ronnie for reasons that appear obvious to me , he's a proven Premiership player and isn't a flamboyant w*** !!

They better get their finger out and get Duff !!

Has Aimar moved to Barca ?

Where the f*** are they getting all the money ?

And if Barcelona steal their man why don't Man U go steal some of theirs - wasn't there talk that you could get Aimar AND Ayala for 25m?Now i know you think Ronaldinho is the best attacking midfielder but would you rather have just Ronaldinho or Aimar/Ayala for the same money? And bringing in two Argentinians might do wonders for Veron. But would they ditch Spain for England?

youve just confused the **** out of me. Ayala and Aimar dont play for Barcelona. they play for valencia.

What i meant to say in my last post is that Barcelona have Ronaldinho and Saviola in the same team now...not Aimar...

• Advertisement

This is not good...

"Fergie and the marketing director and kenyon were seen having a very serious discussion today in the departing lounge before they left off. Apparently, Ferguson has not only let his peers see that he has a weakness for the best players in the world but the pride of the club has been effected. Ferguson WOULD on any other occasion have immediatly rejected the transfer immediately when a player would have asked for a helicopter. This is worse than any request David Beckham has asked previously. "

Make your mind up on that...

Im interested to see how this turns out...Duff for me is a left player where he is his best. We NEED a player to fill the gap behind the forwards and a new centre back. Even Real made that their priority when Hierro left. Real have gotten stronger...Utd have gotten weaker in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i really hope that united don't buy any big names!! The last thing we want for entertainment is for the best team to get better and the 2nd best not improve at all. If arsenal don't buy anyone apart from goalie and nether do united i think the gap between these 2 and cheski newcastle liverpool etc will close.

very good for entertainment. nothing against united tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I could cry .... not because we didn't sign Ronnie .... it's more the fact that Utd have been second placed again in the transfer market & it is getting to be a joke!!

I can't believe that he wanted a helicopter, the fecker!!

United should definately go after Duff and Aimar now!!

I CANT WAIT to hear what Kenyon and Ferguson have to say. Especially since both said they were very confident he would be a player by today. And the fact they said theyve been wanting him since last summer.

Utter disgrace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Blacburn are going to ask for some god awful huge sum for Duff so he wont be sold.

PHB , haven't you be listening to the news over the last couple of days ?

Duff has a clause in his contract that allows him to talk to clubs that offer a certain figure believed to be £17 million.

All United have to do is match Cheski's offer of that amount and they should be in the frame to sign him providing of course he hasn't signed a deal with them already !!

Maybe he could do a Roy Keane on it agree verbally to the deal and pull outta it again and sign for the best club in the world instead !!

Ironically it's ten years exactly since Roy did that to Kenny Dagleish !! 16th June 1993 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hopefully United will go after Duff now, would be excellent to see him play for United - a tad exspensive but I guess thats what you pay.

The whole Ronaldhino thing was getting extremely irritating with all the bull****ting and humming and hawing. It was nearly as bad as the Beckham transfer, actually worse - I dont think it took that long to get him out the door. At least now its finished and United can begin to concentrate on the season ahead. It looks likely Howard will be first pick keeper if Ferguson was willing to push Barthez out as part of the Ronaldhino bid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thank God, Premadonna alright Gandalf. Totally over rated player, had never done anything to justify the fee and played in a poor league.
    Good ridance, Barca are fools to pay that money in this market, I can see Duff now going for 20 million as they know that United want him.

20 million what?

Duff has a 17mill pound sterling thing in his clause...

But i have to admit...im ****en real pissed off Ronaldinho went to Barca instead. Utd didnt do it properly...

Utd didnt do it properly...

I still don't believe it was United's fault!!

I'd say United were still in there until he demanded a Helicopter!!

Ah well, Barca will probably go bankrupt over this season .... Then we'll be able to get him for €50.00 :D:D

• Advertisement

It was clearly Utds fault...did you not read todays paper?

They thought because they had spoken to him before they spoke to the club they would have him...Utd deserved to lose him but i cant believe they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

You're being linked with Dyer for £20m now - muhahaha.

Oh please please buy him.I'm a Toon fan too and think he's one of the most overrated players in the Premiership.He runs around alot and makes it look like he's doing something but he's usually not - bit like Beckham i guess.He's totally un-needed now as we have plenty of quality midfielders so if Fergie could buy the twat that would be much appreciated.

Kenyon and Co messed up the Ronaldinho move alright , just read now on teletext him qouted as saying they won't attempt to hijak Chelski's move for Duff .

Great Peter , what now you t***er

There is a huge state of panic going around now between the Old trafford Officials...they need to get some players quick...they have just missed out on the worlds best up and coming midfielder in my opinion and thats hard to digest from a football perspective of course...

A great pity we did miss out on him...btw has anyone heard news about this Kleberson deal? I cant imagine it happening...this was meant to be a cushion for what is a highly temperamental footballer. thats the reason they were going for him mainly in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Originally posted by 50Cent
    There is a huge state of panic going around now between the Old trafford Officials...they need to get some players quick...they have just missed out on the worlds best up and coming midfielder in my opinion and thats hard to digest from a football perspective of course...

A great pity we did miss out on him...btw has anyone heard news about this Kleberson deal? I cant imagine it happening...this was meant to be a cushion for what is a highly temperamental footballer. thats the reason they were going for him mainly in my opinion.

Get off Ronni's dick, ffs he isn't "the worlds best up and coming midfielder" he is 23 almost 24, Aimar IS a lot better and will be better in 5 years time, Pirlo at milan is light years ahead of him, Donati at Parma is showing alot more promire than him, Motta would be a better buy from Barcelona, Portillo WILL be the best player in the word in 3 years time, he makes Raul's underage records at underage levels in spain and at madrid look like small figures.

in short, Ronni isn't all he is hyped up to be, and wouldnt suit English football anyway.

btw has anyone heard news about this Kleberson deal?

I was watching MUtv there now & Kenyon said in his interview that the deal for Kleberson is at very advanced stage!! But hey, the Ronnie deal was @ an advanced stage too & we all know what happened there!!
    Aimar IS a lot better and will be better in 5 years time

I have to agree that Aimar is better than Ronaldinho, but who's to say that he'd be better suited to the Premiership than Ronnie would have been??

It's funny though, for the last couple of months they've been raving about Ronnie on MUtv, but now that he's signed for Barca they saying that they're all relieved!! I hate all that hypocritical sh1t!!

did you not read todays paper

Hey 50, I don't believe everything I read in the papers. If they media were to be believed, Ronnie would have been a United player months ago!

Well thats true...i seem to trust the Irish Times Sports section though...

FFS Seanah get that dick out of your arse...Ronnie is a better player than Aimar.

I think he is anyway...big mistake Utd didnt get him...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Lads lads lads calm down. It's only personal opinions FFS.

We shall see what happens in the coming weeks. But I hope we get one big signing this summer.

• Advertisement

We need at least 2 i rate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Okay the news and low down on Ronaldinho.

I was invited to go up to Barcelona and be in the audience of the TV3 (Catalan TV) interview and unofficial presentation. I also had lunch with Cruyff before he went to the see the what was left of the Open.

As Rosell stated before, the big obstacle was Ronaldihno's brother. Why? Because Ferguson had promised him 20% of the total operation. That comes from Rosell - it has not been confirmed but I see no reason to disbelieve what I was told.

Why did both the player and his brother/agent change their minds? In their own words they became increasingly aware that Manchester were "playing to the gallery" and "were not really serious about signing"...

Rosell said that PSG gave Manchester three opportunities to officially confirm a verbal bid of 33 million Euros. The first fax to confirm the bid had 27 million Euros as the total sum to be paid. The second had 29 million Euros, and the third fax did not even have the amount printed.

After that PSG turned over Ronaldihno's brother and told him to accept the Barca offer 30 million Euros with two players, Riquelme being one of them. Whilst Ronaldihno's brother was debating PSG asked Rosell if he could pay cash and forget about the players. Rosell with Laporta phoning every five minutes to follow the operation said the Barca would be able to pay 27 million Euros up front and another 3 million Euros over the course of two or three years.

They eventually agreed on 27 million Euros in cash and 3 million Euros related to the number of games Ronaldinho plays over the next two years. If he is seriously injured in the next two years Barcelona have to pay 1 million Euros and the rest will be written off.

His contract is for five years and the player will be paid 3 miliion Euros net a season plus incentives and bonuses that will take his salary up to 4.5 million Euros.

Although the fans are crazy about the signing I can tell you that the board are divided. Ronaldinho was not the principal objective - the club are still chasing Deco and Ayala.

Cruyff stressed the fact that the Brazillians arrival makes the club top heavy with midfielders..."we've got two natural full backs and no cover..."

He also moaned about the apparent lack of planning at the club..."spasm and buy, spasm and sell..."

He asked about LFC and Kewell. Expressed his surprise at the lack of proven signings at OT. "I still can't believe they let Beckham go for so little...", his concern about the Chelsea buy out: "Does anyone really know who the Russian is and where his money comes from?" and he ripped into Blatter once again...

Warning lights at Madrid over Milito - the excuse his dodgy knee - the real reason: he doesn't make the grade...voices are being raised over his signing on.

Valencia say they have not received a formal offer for Cañizares from Arsenal.

More later when I manage to speak to the BIL and gloat about Bugsy's arrival in Can Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Lads, after Kewell, Ronaldinho and probably Duff ye had better hope that Fergie has a plan D! Losing Becks has significantly weakened the squad IMO. Opta have published an amazing stat that besides pens, 72% of RVN's goals were set up by...Becks!

Originally posted by marct
    Opta have published an amazing stat that besides pens, 72% of RVN's goals were set up by...Becks!
    Where did you see this?

72% of RVN's goals were set up by...Becks!

All I can say is if that's true, we are well & truly fcuked :mad:

Something serious has to be done .... I can't believe that Kenyon believes that we are starting this season with a stronger team than we finished last season with!! He's going on about not making any panic buys .... Well if the United Board/Management aren't in a panic now, they never will.

IMO, we have to buy 4 players:- a proven right winger/left winger [because I think that Giggs has lost his edge]/centre half/goal keeper [Tim wHo.ward??]

So here goes, my choices [I'll probably be torn apart for these, but hey, they're my opinions]

Right Winger: Pablo Aimar [afaik: the Argies use him on the right wing - I'm probably wrong though]
    Left Winger: Damien Duff
    Goalkeeper: Shay Given [Yeah right, Newcastle will never let him go!!]
    Centre Half: Fabian Ayala

They should definately pursue Aimar & Ayala, because they were offered to Barca for €25m for both. Barca can't afford it now after the Ronnie deal, because they have to pay €27m up front.

They should definately pursue Aimar & Ayala, because they were offered to Barca for €25m for both.

Is that a fact?

• Advertisement

It was in an article by Brian De Glanville, who's an award winning journo for 442 magazine so basically not a tabloid hack. Obviously others will move to fill the gap and Solskjaer filled the role admirably at the end of the season. But the fact does remain that the squad is weaker without Becks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Doesn't look like you lot are going to be getting Duff either......http://www.rte.ie/sport/2003/0721/soccer/duff.html

Dont really need him if were using a new formation...

It was in an article by Brian De Glanville, who's an award winning journo for 442 magazine so basically not a tabloid hack. Obviously others will move to fill the gap and Solskjaer filled the role admirably at the end of the season. But the fact does remain that the squad is weaker without Becks...
    Well Brian De Glanville got it wrong.

Barcelona offered the £25M for the two players. Valencia asked for more money and then offered Ayala and Vincente instead of Aimar. Barca are still interested in Ayala, and the player has said yes but Valencia are reluctant to sell.

Originally posted by Bannor
    Well Brian De Glanville got it wrong.

Well I'll take the word of an award winning journo instead of a Utd fan that doesnt want to face facts thanks! IThe point being made is that either Fergie will have:
    1) to get someone in to take up the slack.
    2) hope someone can fill Becks' mantle i.e. Solskjaer
    Statistics dont lie- 85% of people know that:p

• Advertisement

Well I'll take the word of an award winning journo instead of a Utd fan that doesnt want to face facts thanks!
    Just two points:

1 - My information is from somebody strongly connected to Barcelona football club and not an award winning journalist spinning a yarn.

2 - And I'm not a Man Utd fan.

:p

Just two points:

1 - My information is from somebody strongly connected to Barcelona football club and not an award winning journalist spinning a yarn.

2 - And I'm not a Man Utd fan.

:p

Why would you knowing someone at Barca make you an authority on Opta statistics? The fact remains that RVN will suffer if there is no-one to take up the slack of providing the supply Becks used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Why would you knowing someone at Barca make you an authority on Opta statistics? The fact remains that RVN will suffer if there is no-one to take up the slack of providing the supply Becks used to.

United have enough qualify in the squad to fill the void left by Beckham. You'd swear that Beckham did all the work on his own supplying these goals for RVN.
    You seem to forget the amount of work that the other players put in to put Beckham into a position to supply the final pass or cross.
    After all Beckham is not a Zidane or Figo that can make space for himself. He needed others to do it for him.
    Admittedly Beckham is a great crosser of the ball but so are Scholes, Veron, Solskjaer and Giggs maybe to a lesser extent but still enough to ensure that RVN scores a lot of goals next season.

Im with Bannor. The information he has provided has been accurate all the way. Marct...i dont believe you.

Originally posted by colster
    Admittedly Beckham is a great crosser of the ball but so are Scholes, Veron, Solskjaer

Solskjaer also added 2 extra dimensions that Becks just couldn't ... he'd attack the last defender before swinging the cross over, giving the midfield a chance to get into the box!! He'd also attack the goal, making extra space for RVN.

p.s. hope the quote thing worx this time :rolleyes:

Woohoo it worked :rolleyes: & it only took me 2 months to figure it out :cool:

Why would you knowing someone at Barca make you an authority on Opta statistics?

:confused:

I was talking about your 25M for Ayala and Aimar story - obviously there has been a misunderstanding because of the order of the posts, it would help if you quoted what you were replying to.

:confused:

I was talking about your 25M for Ayala and Aimar story - obviously there has been a misunderstanding because of the order of the posts, it would help if you quoted what you were replying to.

Fair enough Bannor I will quote in future to save confusion.
    [Im with Bannor. The information he has provided has been accurate all the way. Marct...i dont believe you.

50cent I dont really care if you believe me or not about the stat. If you have a problem take it up with Opta. All I want to do is stimulate some debate. And Bannor was commenting on the Aimar discussion not the stat...:mad:

This is a misunderstanding. The posts are all over the place...:confused:

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

Yeah im Really Disapointed Ronaldinho didnt come he would of been great for Man. Utd

• Advertisement
Advertisement