Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you get with IOL Broadband?

• 19-07-2003 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Folks,

Apart from the bandwidth, what do you get from the IOL Broadband service? For example, do you get an email address? Access to email servers (POP3/IMAP, SMTP)? Webspace?

I've had the service working for while now (I know, lucky me!) but all I use it for is connectivity. I'm still using my free Eircom email address, and sending and receiving email through the Eircom servers. Is this what everyone else is doing?

It's no big deal if EsatBT are selling "just bandwidth" - that sort of service makes it easier for subscribers to move between ISPs, since they don't have the hassle of telling everyone their new email address, re-subscribing to mailing lists, etc. - but it seems odd that an ISP would chose to do this. Since I've received no information about any of this from EsatBT, am I right in assuming that they don't provide an email address or any webspace?

Also, has everyone else been getting disconnected at regular 6-hour intervals? Maybe the standard USB modem setup hides that, and just re-connects automatically. My DSL-504 is set for manual connection (so far), and it gets disconnected every six hours, like clockwork. (Last night it got a few other disconnects, but I think there may have been some maintenance work going on at the time.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

According to the IOL Broadband FAQ your email address ends with @iol.ie so I assume it's username@iol.ie. The mail servers should be the same as for other IOL services so I'm sure they're available somewhere on their web site.

As for your disconnections, I am using the USB modem for the moment until my router/modem arrives next week and I haven't noticed the 6-hour cycle but there have been a couple of random disconnects. I can usually reconnect about 60 seconds later.

M03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

If you go to www.iol.ie and click on help at the top, it will open a new window that lets you register your webspace and email. It doesn't give an option for IOL Broadband, but just select the IOL Gold and work from there (it worked for me when I was on NetSmart, and has carried over to the Broadband just fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IIRC IOL broadband will disconnect every 5-6 hours and after a certain amount of minutes' inactivity. This is mentioned on the terms and conditions on the back of the contract you signed.

You do get webspace and email, go to register.iol.ie/email and register.iol.ie/web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

well for me the same happens got disconnected 4 times last night

OH YA the speed isnt good anymore either more offen than not i get BELOW 5kbs (sometimes only 400bs) to sites and pic,s d/l speeds are less than 10kbs ........... Marked change from the 40+ kbs to sites and above 50kbs d/l ........... and this is nearly anytime of the day/night

Better change fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Hate that Bizmark. If mine goes like that ill kiss its lil gay ass goodbye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

its weird though the pings are fine

39 to around 50 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CubicleDweller

Thanks for the pointers, folks. Will look into this further tomorrow - or later today, I should say. Way past my bedtime... :)

Advertisement