Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing WinXP from HDD

Options
  • 19-07-2003 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Trying to reinstall WinXP on one of my PC's. The CD I have seems to be borked as it won't work in the CD Drive. I was able to make an ISO of it though, which opens fine in DaemonTools.

So I copied the contents of the CD from Dtools to the hard drive and run the setup. I'm was able to Upgrade to XP fine (was using Win2k) but I can't do a full/new install even though I copied the CD on a different HDD (E:) to the one I'm trying to install on (C:).

When I try to install, I tell it to delete the current C:\ partition and install over, but it tells me it can't as there are essential installation files there... but I told it to copy the installation files to E:\ damnit!

Any ideas?

Ta...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Unfortunatey this doesn't work thought there may be a slim chance. Every time u copy from cd to h/d data allways goes astray.

I suggest u find a new cd.

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings.

But u would stand a better chance standing on a tall building on a blustery day urinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ya, I resorted to getting a loan of another CD in the end :)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Huh? What do you mean it does not work? Its the ONLY way i install an OS!! I always copy the cabs (win9x) or I386 (NT,2k,XP) to hard disk first. Then i run setup (win9x), Winnt (from dos for NT,2k,XP) or winn32 (from windows for NT,2k,XP)

Simple... no problems. If there is an OS on there just make sure you install it to another folder or better yet another drive/partition.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then rename the existing win.com to win.moc in case
    if installing NT on top then type LOCK at the command line
    press Y then
    the Lock command UNLOCKs the drive so there is direct access to it from other programs.
    (The UNLOCK command LOCKs the drive so other apps can't write to it - Microsoft English *TM )

Advertisement