Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Test

Options
  • 19-07-2003 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Applying for the bike test soon,
    anyone know what's the story. i'm applying in dublin is there a long waiting period?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't know about that but I remember ringing up the DoE in Ballina for a colleague about this (she wanted to do a moped test) but was told that she couldn't do it for about 4 months as they don't do them in the winter :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bike test is easy. If you have a look at www.drivingtest.ie you can see the average waiting time for each test centre, along with its pass rate.

That thing about not doing them in winter sounds like utter bull to me.

does the info on drivingtest.ie cater for other tests beside cars? - no mention of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i waited a bit over 4 months, but sometimes ive heard of people gettin it quicker, if u say u will take cancellations u will get it quicker, and arent specific in your days of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I sat the test in February this year. Applied last August; a wait of nearly 6 months. When I applied the waiting period listed on the drivingtest.ie site said something like 13 weeks. The reason given for the doubling of the waiting period was huge numbers of people on 2nd provisional licences applying for the test to be road-legal and not get penalty points.

does the info on drivingtest.ie cater for other tests beside cars? - no mention of it

The FAQ lists the classes of licences. A, A1 and M apply to PTWs.

Applying for a cancellation can reduce the wait as already stated.

kbannon, I did my test in Feb. The previous day was very icy but road conditions were fine when I went out. AFAIK the test will be deferred if the roads are icy, but the tests are done during the winter. Weather is too unpredictable. Well icy conditions are not too frequent.

• Advertisement

I just wrote what i was told - it must have been changed since then

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

tests are prolly being done year round to try and reduce the waiting lists. Although motorcyclists are only a small proportion of total road users. I think about 50,000 bikers and 75% have provisionals, IIRC.

Advertisement