Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that communications protocol???

Options
  • 19-07-2003 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Can anyone tell me what comms protocol does the Nokia 6310i use when dialling up to connect to a Wap Service. Ie Vodaphone or O2's default wap service.

I'm trying to get my own phone to dial into a win xp box and access the wap server hosted there by just using the default slip/ppp protocols but alas no joy.

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭irishguy

wap = wireless application protocol, so wap is the protocol.are u sure that ur server is actually running properly?can u access it from another phone? wots the address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Spooge

WAP phones should just dial up as normal with PPP, authenticate with RADIUS, whathaveyou.

What WAP gateway are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

They should be using PPP with PAP or CHAP support. The handsets support both IIRC so you may need to switch between both to find the default.

HTH.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

a wap enabled phone talks the wap protocol to the wap gateway. when you ask for a wap page, the phone sends the url to the wap gateway via the wap protocol. the gateway then connects via http to the requested site on the internet, fetches the wap page, then returns the result to your phone via wap. so the wap gateway is pretty much just like a web proxy server, but it speaks wap to the phone.

so ... all you need to do to make your wap site accessible from a wap phone is make your server accessible from the wap gateway you're using, ie. just be on the internet. then you just tap [url]http://[/url]<your_ip_address&gt; into your phone, and your page should appear - assuming your server is returning wml code that your phone understands.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

umm... that assumes 'wap server' in the original post meant 'web server' rather than 'wap gateway'. the only people that usually run wap gateways are the mobile companies ... and the people writing them wap gateways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement