Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IRC bot idea

Options
  • 20-07-2003 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

I was thinking whether people thought it would be an interesting idea of having a log of all urls posted in the #boards.ie channel

I've seen in other channels some things like a Chump bot where any url thats posted gets put into a weblog and you can add comments to this via irc as well.

Theres an article about it here.
    Also more details about this bot are here.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

That would be serioulsy handy, don't know how many times i've rooted through logs to try and find url's that i couldnt remember anything in the name of it but i'd remember it if i seen it. huge logs going through the whole thing searching "www." takes a lot of time. i'd support your idea anyway yellum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Hmmm sounds intresting. Very intresting. How many times have you come across a good URL and then then next day you try and find it it can't be found anywhere.

Having a Log would be a good idea.

RunFree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

All I ask is that I get to name the bot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by yellum
    All I ask is that I get to name the bot :)

What are you planning on calling it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Don't most decent IRC clients have something akin to mIRC's URL catcher? Makes more sense to look at that rather than go searching through logs.

I think a bot that would notify irc users whenever someone makes a post to any of the public boards would be cool. I can see it getting fairly spammy at peak times of the day though ww)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

way around that could be to create another chan such as #boards.ienewposts and simply put +m on and give the bot voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

download and install activestate perl on your windows box then create a file called urlFinder.pl and put the following text in it.

#!perl

$filename = $ARGV[0];

open INPUT, $filename;
    open OUTPUT, ">$filename.output";

while(<INPUT>){
    if(/www./ || /.com/ || /.net/ || /.org/ || /.ie/ || /.co.uk/ || /.tk/ || /http/){
    print OUTPUT $_;
    }
    }
    close INPUT;
    close OUTPUT;

Save this file in the same directory as your active state installation folder then open up a dos prompt and type the following.

perl urlFinder.pl mirclogs.txt

and a file will be created in the same folder with mirclogs.txt.output which will only contain the lines that match the strings in the if statement above. It wont catch every url but it will making searching through the logs easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I'm not talking about goin through your own logs. Not all of us are online 24/7

The idea was for someone to be able to see all the urls shown in the chan over a 24 hr period.

Its an online centralised URL log.

Advertisement