Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 Problem

Options
  • 20-07-2003 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭

My PS2 will no longer load any of my games.
    It stays stuck on the dashboard screen where you have the "browser" and "system config" menu and if i choose browser it will show the memory card no probs but always says: "reading disc"...

dirty lens? or is it a common prob?

My PS2 is well over 2 years old now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

mmm it looks like the PS2 isn't recognising this game. Did you try loading more then one game. Or try playing a music CD in it as well and if it wont play its a PS2 problem. Or did you change any PS2 settings lately such as language or country. Check them and make sure they are all correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

PS1 FFVI did load up but no DVD's will and the only PS2 game that will load is F1 2002 and the only difference between that and any of my games is that the disc has a blue color to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The blue/purple discs are not DVDs, they are normal CDs i think. This could mean that PS2 is having a prob with reading DVDs just, could be hardware fault. Not 100% though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

bet ya its the laser lens. No i dont know for a fact...just seems obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

If its stopped reading dvd-rom based games (non blue disc) then its more than likely an easy enough fix. Cleaning the laser with alcohol based cleaner is the first option. Altho, its usually not the problem as a dirty laser will affect cd games as well. Generally on older machines you have to increase the voltage to the laser. Its alot easier than it sounds to do. Theres a good few sites out there with info. Heres one of them anyway :
    http://www.geocities.com/djyayo/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The older PS and PS2's are pretty unreliable. You're not the only one to have this problem with first generation Sony hardware.

I need to adjust the laser power but where can i find out my PS2 version...its 30003 [PAL] with 8 screws on the bottom. 4 rubber and 4 plastic covers.

EDIT: I cant seem to find a guide for V4 PS2's. damn!

EDIT: went for it anyways. Got most of the thing open but there is a metal sheet covering that covers the expansion bay and mobo that has very small screws. will need to go to woodies to get a proper screw driver for them. i can even see the 2 screws below that sheet that you use to adjust the power....so near and so far....bollóx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

don't go near pots if you don't know what you are doing!!! turn console over until you have lazer unit looking at you with with the white circle in middle ,now open the four small black screws and casing should come off then dip a coton bud in some alchohol and shake excess off then lightly rub lazer lens with tip of cotton bud and then lighty rub dry with a dry bud, replace cover and test.
    lazers usually get clogged up with dust and dvds are worst affected. There is a lazer cleaner for sale in game which usually does the trick wiothout having to open up ps2....

I already tried cleaning the laser and it did not work and why should it?
    The PS2 can read music cd's and standard CD's without any problems, its obviously not a "dust" problem.

So whats the worst that can happen? i **** up the laser...as it is right now, the thing is useless to me and if i **** it up i will pay the same price to get it fixed anywhere [obviously sony wont do it now].

I will be careful. Adjust the laser first for lower comsumption and if that does not work then rotate the other way....in minute movements.
    :)

I am prepared to take the risk, its not rocket science man.

was there a capacitor fitted with the neo 2 when you bought it??
    and if you don't mind me saying its not rocket science to know that you dont buy a ps2 off somebody when you know it's broken!!! Good luck ;)

• Advertisement

I bought it brand new from the ESB over 2 years ago...would you like a receipt?

surprisingly, this is my first problem with the machine[considering the amount of problems i had with mutiple PS1's]

sorry m8 (-; i am on a few forums and justt got your post mixed up with a guy who had a similiar problem, if you do need a new lazer i can give you a url in uk that is reliable...

thanks..if the worst comes to it i will drop you a line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Look at a disk that wont work, is there circles (quite hard to see) going around the spindle, about 1 - 2 cm away from it.

If so then your PS2 is fecked, and should be brought back, before it damages more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Don't worry about blowing the laser unit, i've adjusted the voltage on my own machine (a 10000 series jap model) and 2 pal series machines. The laser will tolerate an adjustment of about 90 degrees, i've heard of guys that have turned it even further with no trouble, but i wouldn't imagine it should take any more than about 5-10 degrees.
    As i said, dirt is not usually an issue, it can be if you have an intermittent fault with dvd's, but if dvd's do not work and cd's give you no trouble, then adjusting it is really the only way to go.

I cant twist the damn screw....rar this is annoying
    :(

1.JPG
    2.JPG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

:ninja: You deserve everything you get for buying Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness :D

Had to give up for today but a return trip to woodies tomorrow for an even smaller screw driver and soon i will be back with lara. its the poo.

use a scalpel or stanly to turn pots, it works for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I have adjusted the screw well over 90deg to adjust the strength with no success. have to get a plastic screw driver to adjust it live. If that does not work i am going to try return it to the ESB and get it replaced hopefully.

Advertisement