Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where Can I Buy A Good Wide Screen Tv For Under €500

Options
  • 20-07-2003 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Please tell me where to buy a good widescreen Tv for under €500. Thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

nowhere. it will not be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

do you know where to get a good one for just over €700 and under €1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

try power city!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

and curry's. or peats ex-display. sony centre also.
    'bout it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What size of screen were you considering?

As regards to manufacturers, I personally recommend Sony, Panasonic, JVC. Philips, Samsung and Sanyo also worth consideration.

I would avoid relabelled "makes" like Black Diamond, SLX, iDeal, Goodmans, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

Was in Peats the other day, and picked up the Sale brochure...

This bit of hot stuff was there for €999 with a free PS2. Sweet deal!

100HZ (AABB), DNR, VIRTUAL DOLBY, BBE, 250 PAGE TEXT MEMORY, 3X SCART, WITH CABINET

€825.62 €999.00 inc. VAT

Buy now and get a sony Playstation 2 with the Purchase of this TV.

FD Trinitron WEGA
    100Hz
    Digital Noise Reduction
    Virtual Dolby + BBE Sound
    3D Sound System
    250 Page Text Memory
    SmartLink
    Auto Standby
    Sleep timer
    Auto 16:9
    14:9 Mode
    3 SCART (2 x RGB input)
    Universal Remote

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

You can get an alright flat screen in power city in Sallynoggin for €480. it's a 28''

All I'm looking for is a 28" flat screen. Now can anyone tell me if they have found a decent one that odes the job for €500 or under. Shops preferably in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

my family got a 28 inch widescreen for under 500 and its grand... maybe if you i couldnt fault it... sorry i cant remember the make or where it was bought though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I would avoid relabelled "makes" like Black Diamond, SLX, iDeal, Goodmans, etc.

I thought the Mitsubishi black diamond was made from LG technology (á lá panasonic) ??? Is this not the case Byte ??

I have a 32" black diamond and it is class, have had no problems with it, cost €650.

Not a fan of 28", just too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by conZ
    Was in Peats the other day, and picked up the Sale brochure...

This bit of hot stuff was there for €999 with a free PS2. Sweet deal!

100HZ (AABB), DNR, VIRTUAL DOLBY, BBE, 250 PAGE TEXT MEMORY, 3X SCART, WITH CABINET

€825.62 €999.00 inc. VAT

Buy now and get a sony Playstation 2 with the Purchase of this TV.

FD Trinitron WEGA
    100Hz
    Digital Noise Reduction
    Virtual Dolby + BBE Sound
    3D Sound System
    250 Page Text Memory
    SmartLink
    Auto Standby
    Sleep timer
    Auto 16:9
    14:9 Mode
    3 SCART (2 x RGB input)
    Universal Remote

Does anyone know if 100hz TVs are okay for watching footy on? A mate says that his seems a little fuzzy when he watches football on Sky Sports.

Originally posted by Adrian
    do you know where to get a good one for just over €700 and under €1000?

Adrian, esb.ie do LG 32" widescreens for €799 and SAMSUNG 32" 'REAL FLAT' widescreens for €899.

I'd agree with Dre, go for a 32" if you can as a 28" can seem small if you're watching programs broadcast in 4:3.

thanx

byte

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    I thought the Mitsubishi black diamond was made from LG technology (á lá panasonic) ??? Is this not the case Byte ??

I have a 32" black diamond and it is class, have had no problems with it, cost €650.

Not a fan of 28", just too small.

Hmm, I dont think Black Diamonds are rebranded LG's though indeed, the breed can vary depending on model/size. LG or Thomson may supply the CRT's. I'm not sure about the current range of BD tellies, but if they're similar to the Powerpoint brand, then they're rebadged Beko's.

And I don't believe there is any affiliation between LG (Lucky Goldstar) and Matsu****a's Panasonic brand. I would choose a Panny over an LG any day!

Anyway, as your Black Diamond is giving you no problems, I wouldn't worry too much about it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Does anyone know what the qualiyt of Matsui TV's is like, there is a great looking 28" flatscreen in dixons for €399, picture quality seems good but there are no reviews for this tv anywhere (that i can find anyway) there really seems to be very few tech reviews for 28" tvs available on the web (with the exception of the phillips 28pw6006)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I was told that Black Diamond were rebadged Mitsubishi, same internal chassis.

Bought 32" + stand for €699 locally, 2 scarts on back, 1 av on front and SVHS socket on side... svhs makes a nice difference to the resolution of the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Do not I repeat DO NOT buy JVC TV's. They are crap (personal experience and retailer advice)

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

Does anyone know if 100hz TVs are okay for watching footy on? A mate says that his seems a little fuzzy when he watches football on Sky Sports.

Sport like football, golf etc generally show off the advantages of 100Hz tv's quite well. The flicker in 50Hz models is apparent when there's large areas of similar color on screen. Best to have a look at the one your after in the shop first, shouldn't be much fuzzier unless it's a cheap model or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

Originally posted by SteM

probably his reception of sky's fault rather than the tv's...................some of the channels at a mate of mines house are dire and they dont give a shiit, its the reception they get and it doesn't bother them.

Originally posted by mooman_00
    probably his reception of sky's fault rather than the tv's...................some of the channels at a mate of mines house are dire and they dont give a shiit, its the reception they get and it doesn't bother them.

I don't think so. He has sky sports via NTL Digital. He says it's more like a trail across the screen where the ball's been?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

Its caused by the camera panning quite fast back and forward and the fact that the ball is moving v quickly. because 100hz is showing u the picture twice as many times as 50 theres twice as many balls so it gets a bit blurred, this is only really apparent on standard 100hz (AABB) but sets higher in the range which have picture enhancing systems get rid of this effect, the best time to get a tvis to keep an eye out for shops doing specials on refurbished sets. Thats how a lot of people in the business get their tv's. I have a cousin who works for Phillips and he gets his tvs that way, I work in a shop aswell and just got a Sony KV32-FQ75 (the Model before KV32-FQ80) for €799 the last price on a brand new one of those in the shops was €1999 as far as I remember, its a cracking set , twin tuners 100hz DRC-MF.

byte

Originally posted by daveg
    Do not I repeat DO NOT buy JVC TV's. They are crap (personal experience and retailer advice)

That is all.

What experience did you have? Was it with an older one? I know some of the older ones were dodgy and some models weren't even made by JVC. I have a JVC myself and never had any problems with it and its 3 Scarts are indeed handy. I think they're reliable (newer ones, not ones made about four years ago). Not in the same league as Panasonic or Sony though, but indeed some of these can have problems too. I know of some models of Sony 25" from about five years ago being reknowned for having iffy CRTs.

Divx: Mitsubishi own the "Black Diamond" name but don't manufacture TV's anymore. From what I have found out, they're made by Vestel Electronics in Turkey and rebadged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by byte
    What experience did you have? Was it with an older one? I know some of the older ones were dodgy and some models weren't even made by JVC. I have a JVC myself and never had any problems with it and its 3 Scarts are indeed handy. I think they're reliable (newer ones, not ones made about four years ago). Not in the same league as Panasonic or Sony though, but indeed some of these can have problems too. I know of some models of Sony 25" from about five years ago being reknowned for having iffy CRTs.

Divx: Mitsubishi own the "Black Diamond" name but don't manufacture TV's anymore. From what I have found out, they're made by Vestel Electronics in Turkey and rebadged.

My parents bought a 32" widescreen JVC for approx €600 just over a year ago. It's been back for repair twice. A good mate of mine works in the TV department in Curry's in Galway. He told me to never buy JVC TV's as they oftem give trouble and not of great build or quality.

byte

Originally posted by daveg
    My parents bought a 32" widescreen JVC for approx €600 just over a year ago. It's been back for repair twice. A good mate of mine works in the TV department in Curry's in Galway. He told me to never buy JVC TV's as they oftem give trouble and not of great build or quality.

Oh I see. Bad luck. I hope mine doens't mess me about! I know the model that replaced mine had terrible speakers and sound was terrible. The current model looks OK but too early yet to see if it's unreliable. I notice that the menus are much different. My budget prevented me from getting a Sony which was my ideal choice. :(

Advertisement