Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Prices

Options
  • 20-07-2003 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

It's been a while since I bought a game, but I was shocked at the prices they are charging now. I was looking for Medal of Honour and found it in Compustore for a ridiculous €68.99, i then checked amazon.co.uk and for £33 (around €49) including p+p could have the game sent to my door.

Just a rant, but how can they get away with this.

AL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

That is pretty ludicrous alright. But that's Compustore for you. They don't sell toasters but they do seem to like ripping stupid newbs off. I saw a Geforce 256 there for something like a 100 quid more expensive than a Geforce 4 ti4800.

Went in for a wander in Smyths the other day and most of the games were 39.99. Didn't see one over 45 eurons, but also didn't see anything I didn't already have or want.

But then I'm pretty picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i buy all my console games off play.com

free delivery and they work out cheaper than i can find anywhere i've found in ireland(not that i've really bothered to look)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Yep, play.com for everything game/dvd related. You'll get robbed in game shops like Gamesworld etc. Just saved 15 euro on zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh in compustore they charged the same price for a geforce 4mx and on komplett for the same price you can get one of them new fx cards and change over to pay for delivery from komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The local gamesworld here in Kilkenny charges about €55-€60 for all new games. Gimps. I just order them from play. Delivery takes ages but its worth the saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The cheapest I can get a new game for is €60, and even then there always in short supply, so if I don't get on the first few days of release I'll have to wait a week or pay €5 - €10 more. the price of games is a joke and the wonder why there is software piracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The prices are even worse when you compare them to other countries. I was in america recently and the prices there are far better. Here it's 60 yoyos for a new console game when its $50 in america. Then after about 6 months the games price drops to $30. New gameboy games are only $30. www.play.com are the only place where you can get new games for these prices. If I didn't get most of my games for free (and no I don't pirate games) I'd buy from www.play.com far more often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

someone showed me this site but i have'nt tried it
    http://vietnamonlinestore.com/
    you have to sign up to look at the media section

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

I just bought myself a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra 256MB for under €200 on KOMPLETT.IE and it rocks :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Outside of that, I saw it was in stock and then had it within two days! :eek:

Including my 512 DDR RAM 233MHz (my mother board doesn't support higher) for I think it was 80+ E's.

All ex Vat of course... but I am such a happy man... ww)

I'll check play... I usually get my games via Amazon (cause I also get allot of books too so I don't really look at the price)...

The Duke : ))

I just checked a few prices PLAY.COM v AMAZON.COM and PLAY wins - although the price is the same for most titles I checked.

e.g. Black Hawk Down: 14.99 v 24.99! :eek: Amazon, how could you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Delivery from play to Ireland generally takes about a week, but its worth the wait I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

compu shops make their money off people who know nothing about computers, so they write ge-force something on the leaflet advertising the pc, and the bugger who knows nothing about computers buys it. for example i wnet to pc world the other day and i saw SECOND hand gforce 4 mx's that cost more than the ones on komplett.

rip off. i never buy from those shops. its all pentium and gforce badges on the pcs and suckers fall for it.

absolutely... however it was boards.ie that educated me on what to buy cause I was very nearly one of those suckers...

So many thanks to the guys for saving me from being doomed... with an 4MX. :ninja:

So, for anyone - if you want to upgrade your system my advice is post a question and spec here and you'll be sure to be pushed into the right direction.

In fact it was so good, good old Matt Sims even managed to push me from a GeForce FX 5200 to a 5600 (for reasons I can remember - but the must have hit a spot or I wouldn't have parted with the extra money :D - I think it was DX9 support).

Did I tell you guys how happy I am ww) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

The problem i've had when trying to get stuff off play.com is they don't allow a delivery address that is in a different country than the CC address. When I queried this I never got a reply. Most others don't seem to have a problem with this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Imposter
    The problem i've had when trying to get stuff off play.com is they don't allow a delivery address that is in a different country than the CC address. When I queried this I never got a reply. Most others don't seem to have a problem with this.

They will deliver direct to Ireland. Maybe try contacting them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Got Medal of Honour at last, ordered it last sat, got a confirmation on mon and it arrived today fri for €48. Might try play.com next time. Is the delivery time any slower with play?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Normally about a week I think.

Thanks for the details guys, think i'll try play.com next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You will find cheaper than play but you wont find it with free delivery so play wins everytime.

And they used to be veyr reliable then they got busy :(

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i picked up f1 2002 brand new for the gamecube for €15 in virgin, liffey valley on friday. just be savvy about it and dont taek it in teh ear like so many fools do in this country. i havent paid more than €40 for a game(on any system) in months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I just got SSX tricky for 15 yoyos and Tony Hawk 3 for 7.50 in GAME on Dawson St (both for GameCube). Not bad prices, I think you'll find.

GBA games are ridiculously expensive, though - 50 yoyos for the new Pokémon? No thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

DiscoStu, you haven't bought many games that are less than a year old in months then have you. Being "savvy" as you put it is just buying old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

DiscoStu, you haven't bought many games that are less than a year old in months then have you. Being "savvy" as you put it is just buying old games.

I would agree, unless you are talking 40 sterling or PC games?

Hi alanc,

do you intend to play MOH on-line?

I've use single 64MB ISDN and it is quite good.

I am so hocked I am close to getting a divorce... not that I'll have the time to look up from the keyboard to really know whats going on anyhow... :D .

What's your gaming name... I call myself "The Duke" everywhere (not one of those multi name hussies ;) ).

I'll look for you on ASE if I go for a session.

Not allot of people seem to play MOH arround here. I asked for a sepperate slot as there is one for BF1942 but they said the demand would not be there :(

TheDuke

Haven't even got to play the flippin thing yet. I on 56k so haven't even thought of playing online, where would I even go to play MOH online. I'll let you know when I start.

56k would be way too frustrating... but still worth a bash. There are some game servers out there specifically for 56k players so everyone has a high ping.

Once you got it make sure you've patched with the latest if you want to go on-line.

Get yourself the "All Seeing Eye". This is the best game search arround and is way better than that pathetic Game Spy.

Getting into a game after that is easy... jsut fire up ASE, refresh the listing and then just double klick on the session you want to join.

Also alanc, on-line gaming makes this very linear (and quite booring after a while) game and makes it one of the most never wrecking ones I've ever played... sometimes you can realy get some excelent guys with super team play and then it just rocks... covering fire.. move in... sniper in uppwer window... pin down fire and out flank...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm with DiscoStu and not paying over €40 for games. I must have over forty games for the Dreamcast and I never once paid full price for a game between vouchers, second-hand or trade-ins, I alsways got something off.

Similarly with both XBOX or GC, I have yet to pay full price. I also picked up F1 2002 for €15. God that game is as tough as old boots... I also picked up Wolfenstein for Xbox for €30 which I think was a mistake on GAME's part:D

Advertisement