Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many vegetarians ?

• 20-07-2003 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering how many people these days are vegetarian ( or have been )

purely out of curiosity - its probly been done before BUT id like to see an up to date poll !

alot of irish people seem to be very against it saying its "un-natural" etc what are your views ?

vegetarian ? 12 votes

Im a vegetarian
    0% 0 votes
    Im a vegan
    91% 11 votes
    I was a vegetarian/vegan but not anymore
    0% 0 votes
    I love teh meat
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Grim Sage

I'm not a veggie, but i tend not to eat a lot of meat just because i don't like the taste, i only eat rashers really mmmm + red sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mmm, cooked animal flesh...

/me licks his lips and thinks about burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 christ

statistics #101: as this poll is self-selecting, and features the word "vegetarian", the results are going to be massively skewed towards said option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

Its only natural to eat other species. Animals do it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

statistics #101: as this poll is self-selecting, and features the word "vegetarian", the results are going to be massively skewed towards said option.

I was just thinking that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'm fairly restricted in what I can eat cos I'm allergic to wheat so I eat meat to try balance my diet. Also there's not much (tasty)wholesome food that is vegetarian AND wheat free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by Kalina
    I'm fairly restricted in what I can eat cos I'm allergic to wheat so I eat meat to try balance my diet. Also there's not much (tasty)wholesome food that is vegetarian AND wheat free.

Nasty, you'll never know the joy of German wheat beers.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Well,
    I don't eat beef. And I will only eat chicken, turkey, and seafood. When I go out I usually order vegetarian meals. The older I get the more I can't eat chicken and turkey either. I don't know maybe I am on the road to being a vegetarian.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I rarely animal eat meat (maybe once a month), though I'm not vegetarian.

I do eat fish a bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by christ
    Aye, indeed. Suggest that one of the mods changes the title to "Are you a vegetarian" (people will see it's a poll)
    (edit: having said that, enough meat-eaters seem to have found it)

And maybe adding an option for those "fish vegetarian" people

(I've gone out with a few vegetarians and one staunch vegan and they all scoffed at "fish vegetarians"*, even the one who ate half my quarter pounders every time she got drunk "oh, I just like the bread but all this meat is attached to it. Ah well"). Can't see why they did tbh but there you go)

*I suspect it was because of styling themselves "fish vegetarians" as opposed to saying "oh, the only meat I eat is fish" rather than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by christ

I thought that would happen too but well the poll speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I be vegetarian.
    have only been one for 2 weeks though. havent eaten red meat in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years. I know that one person can't make much of a difference, it's more to do with guilt. Plus I just think it's wrong to eat things that were killed purely for the sake of eating. We don't need meat to survive, there are plenty of other out of which we can get the same nutrients we get in meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by sceptre
    (I've gone out with a few vegetarians and one staunch vegan and they all scoffed at "fish vegetarians"*, even the one who ate half my quarter pounders every time she got drunk "oh, I just like the bread but all this meat is attached to it. Ah well"). Can't see why they did tbh but there you go)

/me puts hand up. Although I've never lapsed and eaten a burger.

2 reasons: I hate fish. Actually *hate* them. I think they're evil. Just thinking about fish makes me shudder.

As Kurt Cobain said "It's OK to eat fish cos they don't have any feelings".

No logic, I just eat them (Well, actually I only eat tuna, can't stand the taste of any other fish.)

Vegetarian almost 4 year now........jeebus, didn't think it was that long.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

My friend is a vegetarian and has been since he was born as his parents are pretty much hippys. I think it's weird that he's never tasted meat in his life at all, but it's also pretty cool and I respect him for it.

My sister was a vegetarian for five or six years. No idea why but one day she just didn't want to be one anymore and had steak.

Weird man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

If meat wasn't made to be eaten, it wouldn't have evolved so deliciously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I have been vegetarian for over 8 years now. Don't miss meat at all and it is surprisingly easy.

Despite the 27/10 votes pro-meat, I don't know that many other vegetarians. I think all those eateries with veggie menu options must be catering for tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

One of my wife's friend is a fish vegetarian, but besides that I don't know too many. I do know a good chunk of people who don't eat _that_ much red meat, and stick to chicken/fish mostly.

The one thing at home (I'm from Canada, just over here for a week preparing for the move in November) and in the US that's really bad is the slew of teenagers who switch to vegetarianism for no good reason (just that it's cool). They end up loading up on bread and pasta and whatnot, forget to balance their diet off with protein and end up being both unhealthy and overweight.

For the people on the board who have been vegetarians for a long time - how do you manage to keep your diets varied and interesting :) I don't think I could do it, but I have a lot of respect for people that do stick to that path for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Veggie for about six years now.

Borderline vegan really as I don't eat dairy products. In fact the only animal products I eat/use are organic freerange eggs for protein and some trainers which have leather uppers (and if you could get decent vegan runners which aren't made in sweatshops I'd probably get them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,550 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by sykeirl
    I rarely animal eat meat
    Originally posted by Man U babe
    I be vegetarian

Look at what the lack of meat does to people's brains ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement