Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Part Irish part English players.

• 20-07-2003 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

I've just been wondering are there any players who could potentially play for Ireland who aren't actually Irish but has an Irish gran or something like that?

The only one i know of is Marlon King and i wouldn't mind seeinhg him get a chance sometime.23,6'1'' and got 7 goals in 12 this season but was crocked for most of the season wasnt he?Anyway he's the only one i can think of really and didn't he say he wanted to play for Ireland before or was that someone else?Anyway i wouldn't mind him getting a go - can he be any worse then David Connolly?

And are there any other players that could potentially play?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by hoolio
    I've just been wondering are there any players who could potentially play for Ireland who aren't actually Irish but has an Irish gran or something like that?

The only one i know of is Marlon King and i wouldn't mind seeinhg him get a chance sometime.23,6'1'' and got 7 goals in 12 this season but was crocked for most of the season wasnt he?Anyway he's the only one i can think of really and didn't he say he wanted to play for Ireland before or was that someone else?Anyway i wouldn't mind him getting a go - can he be any worse then David Connolly?

And are there any other players that could potentially play?
    Wasn't Paul Scholes asked to join the Ireland team a couple of years ago and then the English FA blocked it. I remember reading that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Scholes?**** that would have been nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Scholes?**** that would have been nice

[Snipped RACIST ! - Irish1 one more of those and your banned from Soccer - Gandalf]

[snipped - Gandalf].

Should Steven Reid,Matty Holland etc be banned from playing from Ireland so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Martin Keown slipped thru the net unfortunatly. He twice tried to play for ireland but had played u-18 for england when that was the cut-off point and then again when the point was raised to u-21 he had played at that level :(

Dont know of any current players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

is danny murphy part irish? his name sounds very irish to me

Originally posted by irish1
    [snipped - Gandalf]
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Wayne Rooney is half irish...
    Could you imagine a Keane-Rooney partnership in the 2006 world cup?

Originally posted by Tellox
    Wayne Rooney is half irish...
    Could you imagine a Keane-Rooney partnership in the 2006 world cup?
    They're too alike. I don't think they would work well together. You need a goal poacher in the forward line along with a creative player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Yeah scoles could have played for Ireland. Keown wanted to, but wasnt allowed to. There are plenty more examples, both past and present .... such as Kevin Keegan and Paul Gascoigne. Not sure if I'd have liked Gazza playing for us though! ;)

• Advertisement

Should Steven Reid,Matty Holland etc be banned from playing from Ireland so?

Any player who go's on grandparents shouldn't be allowed play, makes me sick seeing Holland standing there refusing to sing the national anthem. Unless the player or one of the players parents was born here they shouldn't be allowed play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

i dont know, they play for ireland for a reason, if they didnt want to they wouldnt play. and the ony player who did that was irish through and through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Any player who go's on grandparents shouldn't be allowed play, makes me sick seeing Holland standing there refusing to sing the national anthem. Unless the player or one of the players parents was born here they shouldn't be allowed play.
    Stop being a sap Irish1 and stick to the subject at hand. Who says Matty Holland refuses to sing the Irish national anthem? Maybe he does not know the words. I dont and I'm Irish.

Is it not also a little bit ironic that your sig contains a quote from a man whose only connection to this country was through his great-grand parents?

Originally posted by Hobart

Is it not also a little bit ironic that your sig contains a quote from a man whose only connection to this country was through his great-grand parents?

lol
    JFK was president of the USA not a soccer player, and I have that quote as my sig because I think he was the last american president to talk sense. In the quote in my sig there is a quote from and Irish poet, didn't comment on that do?

I'm intitled to state my oppion whitout been call a "SAP" Hobart.

If you don't agree thats your oppion but reducing yourself to name calling is a little sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 coke

I for one agree with irish one, grandparents means nothing. Holland is a blatant english boy, with enough intelligence to realise he hasn't got a snowballs chance in hell of making their team, so he takes refuge at the Emeralde Isle. I can;t really blame him too much though, who would not want to play internationally? As for half irish half brits, we have quite a few dont we? Kenny Cunningham i'm nearly possitive. Steven Reid i think. David Connolly i think. (Correct me if i am wrong) I know some others aswell, but cant remember them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 toughbuk

kenny cunningham was born in dublin, connolly and reid in london even though connolly's grandparents are from galway i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I don't think it should matter if it's their parents or grandparents ... If someone wants to play for Ireland & they have a connection, then they should play ... I don't support the individual players ... I support the Irish Team!!

The whole thing is bizarre ... Sure look @ Cascarino ... Didn't he say in his autobiography that he made up his Irish connection [correct me if I'm wrong]??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

lol
    JFK was president of the USA not a soccer player, and I have that quote as my sig because I think he was the last american president to talk sense. In the quote in my sig there is a quote from and Irish poet, didn't comment on that do?

I'm intitled to state my oppion whitout been call a "SAP" Hobart.

If you don't agree thats your oppion but reducing yourself to name calling is a little sad.
    The fact is that the rules are there for numerous reasons, not least of which is the so-called Irish Diaspora, spread around the world.

I did'nt call you a sap BTW i said you were being/acting like a sap. Personally I don't (think) i know you (or would want to for that matter) but calling somebody 'brit scum' is a little OOT and tantamunt to racist behaviour, which if you new anything about this bulletin board, is against the rules.

I am also sure that whats left of the Kennedy clan in the states rests easy with the knowledge that you approved of their dearly departed son.

I just find your use of language, and your subsequent use of an ex-US president whom you believed to "talk sense" both ironic and amusing.

I am also sure that whats left of the Kennedy clan in the states rests easy with the knowledge that you approved of their dearly departed son.

I just find your use of language, and your subsequent use of an ex-US president whom you believed to "talk sense" both ironic and amusing.

Glad I could amuse you, I'm not going to get into a pitty argumet over my Opinion because thats exactly what it is MY OPINION.

Stop being a sap Irish1

In my mind your quote above is you calling me a Sap, but since it's a word that doesn't excist in the dictionery I'l pass it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK Heres where I have to jump in. Any More racist remarks from you Irish1 and your banned. I don't care what your opinion is etc, when it includes racism you have crossed the line.

This is your one and only warning !

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    OK Heres where I have to jump in. Any More racist remarks from you Irish1 and your banned. I don't care what your opinion is etc, when it includes racism you have crossed the line.

This is your one and only warning !

Gandalf.

Fair enough, aplogies if I offended anyone.

Mind you gandalf you didn't say anything about the name calling, or personal attack on me, If someone disagrees with me fair enough disagree with my statement but not my personality (the rules in politics explain this well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

This has been done to death. Anyone who calls themselves a hardcore football fan, and yet claims to have no conflicting opnions on the game (example: being ashamed of Holland for his "we qualified earlier on" remark shortly before our vital last game in Macedonia, and then going mad with joy when he scored against Cameroon) is being a little pretentious. Football doesn't always have to be so PC, although there are those who would try to deny us holding essentially conflicting opinions, and shout us down.

And Galdalf, what makes the "kraut" (I haven't even read the context, and don't care) in your signature any different from expressions such as "West-Brit", "Frog", "refugee"etc etc? :mad:

Well kraut in my sig is actually a quote from a comedy film set during WW2.

The phrase that irish1 used was "brit scum" in describing a player which is racist.

Gandalf.

Fair enough, aplogies if I offended anyone.

Mind you gandalf you didn't say anything about the name calling, or personal attack on me, If someone disagrees with me fair enough disagree with my statement but not my personality (the rules in politics explain this well).

I would have liked a reply gandalf??

I think anyone from any country would prefer to have their nation represented by people who were born and raised there but I don't mind who pulls on the green jersey as long as they have a connection to Ireland and are willing to give it their all. They shouldnt be stigmatised becuase they are English first.We owe the entire Irish squad to England anyway.It's Engish clubs who sign,develop and nurture the raw young talent and give them the chance.Would John O'Shea be in the Ireland squad if he wasn't playing for an English club? Even Glen Crowe palyed with Wolves till he was 18

**** who knows the national anthem.Alot of 100% Irish people don't even speak Irish so how are they meant to learn a song? I personally would rather that people who probably don't know the anthem (like Matt Holland) just stand their silently and show respect for it,instead of doing what plenty of the 'patriots' do and sing:

"Sinne Fianna Fáil
    Atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,
    Buíon dár slua.
    falala lala la-lu......"

and continue to make sounds to the rough tune of the song before belting out the last line - that gets on my nerves.

James Milner represented Ireland at schoolboy levels i'm fairly sure but he's on the England u-18 team now i think but conceiveably he could be playing for Ireland in the future.The new rules are that you can switch as long as you are under 21 and havn't gotten a senior cap isnt it?

I would have liked a reply gandalf??

Well if you consider SAP a insult go and complain on the admin board. Personally I can think of far worse insults for someone who posts racist drivel.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

This arguement is pathetic. Personnaly i dont mind who plays for ireland or what nationalty they are, and it doesnt really matter as long as they give their all for the team. Which would be more than some cork man we wont mention!

One of irelands most loved sons Paul Mcgrath was infact born in london! His mother was irish and he grew up in an orphanage in Dun Laoirghe. But he is still technically english and it certinaly doesnt bother me.

And if you want to get political about it irish1 read the history books, some people who had no reason to fight for irish freedom but they did. And i bet you wont complain about them!

Originally posted by Sundy

And if you want to get political about it irish1 read the history books, some people who had no reason to fight for irish freedom but they did. And i bet you wont complain about them!

Thats totally wrong and I'd appreciate if you didn't persume to know my beliefs, I am against any terrorist act.

Anyway this is a soccer forum if you want to discuss politics with me I will only be too happy but not here.

and gandalf I was simply pointing out something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Originally posted by coke
    As for half irish half brits, we have quite a few dont we? Kenny Cunningham i'm nearly positive.

lol, Kenny has the worst Dub accent ever! Have you never heard him speak loike!

/edit:
    <back on topic> why would they play for us if they didn't want to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Must agree with grandalf i find the comment abnout scholes deeply offensive and racist. There is no place in todays society for such bigoted opinions. Irish1 of course is entitled to his private opinion but he should keep his racism to himself and we should not have to read his racist comments in a public forum.

Whats wrong with the grandchildren of people who had to leave ireland to survive coming back to represent us on the international soccer stage . I am proud of every player who pulls on the green jersey and plays his heart out on our behalf. .

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Must agree with grandalf i find the comment abnout scholes deeply offensive and racist. There is no place in todays society for such bigoted opinions. Irish1 of course is entitled to his private opinion but he should keep his racism to himself and we should not have to read his racist comments in a public forum.

I will once again apologise for my remark and hope that this will end this and we can discuss the topic which the thread starter intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Johnny Gomez

I have'nt really got a problem with English players playing for Ireland as long as they play well. It would have been excellent to see Rooney or Scholes playing for Ireland wouldn't it? Besides other countries do it, look at Owen Hargreaves a Canadian playing for England. And besides if the players bring Ireland success irrespective of nationality thats all that matters.

Don't forget Deco the Brazilian playing for Portugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Many cynics see ireland as a refuge for english players who have a bit of green blood in them who arnt good enough to play for england. that isnt true. Aldo would have been good enough to play for england. Andy o brien a newcastle born player rejected an england call up in favour of ireland. Reid played for England under 19.

Originally posted by Johnny Gomez
    I have'nt really got a problem with English players playing for Ireland as long as they play well. It would have been excellent to see Rooney or Scholes playing for Ireland wouldn't it? Besides other countries do it, look at Owen Hargreaves a Canadian playing for England. And besides if the players bring Ireland success irrespective of nationality thats all that matters.

Plenty of other countries do it. Just look at France! Many of their best players werent born in there like Patrick Vieira (Senegal) and Lilian Thuram (Guadeloupe).

• Advertisement

Plenty of other countries do it. Just look at France! Many of their best players werent born in there like Patrick Vieira (Senegal) and Lilian Thuram (Guadeloupe).

And Freddy Adu is playing for america even though he in from Ghana.I guess that one is a little different as he moved to the US when he was 8 so thats 5 years of development he owes them.Still though - if i was Ghanan i'd be pissed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

i don't see the fuss about weather they were born here or not.

Even at france and Holland they have players who weren't born there.

France have Viera, Zidane, Thuram, Cisse, Kapo, Candella, Ba and a few others are all African. (Ziadane is from Tunisia)

Holland have Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Van Lent, Hasselbaink and a few others are all Surinamese.

Originally posted by Seaneh
    i don't see the fuss about weather they were born here or not.

Even at france and Holland they have players who weren't born there.

France have Viera, Zidane, Thuram, Cisse, Kapo, Candella, Ba and a few others are all African. (Ziadane is from Tunisia)

Holland have Seedorf, Davids, Kluivert, Van Lent, Hasselbaink and a few others are all Surinamese.
    Zidane is from Algeria actually, just thought I'd get that in there ;)

Didn't know Candela was African though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Seaneh
    So were Rijkaard and Gullit as far as I know. Do the Surinamese have the gene for football?

Is it still a Dutch protectorate? Can we invade? Do any of them want to sleep with some Irish women?

Originally posted by PORNAPSTER
    Zidane is from Algeria actually, just thought I'd get that in there ;)

Didn't know Candela was African though.

Actually Im fairly sure that Zidane was born in Marseilles, but yes, both his parents are Algerian. I think this also applies to Djorkaeff.

Also, its not only football that this happens. In rugby, Kyran Bracken plays for England even though he and both his parents are Irish, Diego Dominguez plays for Italy even though he is from Argentina. In tennis Greg Rusedski represents Great Britan even though he is from Canada ..... the lists go on and on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement