Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq Prolient Problem

• 21-07-2003 12:03am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭

Did a stupid thing today.
    I took the fan out of the back of myserver to try and wuiten it and then curosity got the bettter of me so i stated pulling leaver that allowed parts to be pulled out to have a look. I looked at them was satisfied and put them back. Now when i start the pc it does not boot. No beeping noises or anything as if there is something wrong. The lights on the scsi disks liget up in order and then go out. they usually stay on.
    Its an old compaq proliant, 200 hz intel. has a scsi array fo three hd. I often removed them bofore so i am not worried about them.

Anyone give me suggestions as to whats wrong. I know i'm not giving a lot of info abot the machine but i don't know much about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Hi
    Do you have any leds on the mainboard?
    WHat model is it, Proliant xxx G?
    Try reseating all the parts you removed and make sure they all have a nice fit.
    You have look for possible interlock errors, they should show up as a led error.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

motherboards is split up and seperated around the case. On one section there is a lot of tiny leds, only two of them are lighting at the moment, they come on straight away and never change. There is another LED on the otherside of the same boards, like the power led on standard mobos.

It says on the back 4000 series
    on the door of the case it says 2500

Bit odd that the disk LEDs go on so i would not suspect the PSU
    still sound like a interlock problem so i would still say to reaseat every part you played around with and might have come near to.
    Also you did wear a wrist strap while you played around, right?
    If not it could be anything and i would say you were asking for something to go wrong if you did not take precaustions.
    Sorry, but i think u need service and as far as i know the numbers you mention area bit old, maybe even too old for service.

Don't worry, i was earthed while doing it, anyway, i never toughed anything circuty board on it. Removed everything and put it back together, while i was doing it i noticed a cable inside that appeared to be unplugged, checked the boards i removed but there was no where on it that it could be plugged into, have to open it further tonight.

problem solved, a friend of mine discovered a small cable unplugged way inside the machine. Could not notice it myself.

• Advertisement

Cool, so it did prove to be a interlock problem, sometimes it is very hard to find the missing link, i for one know that very well!!

Last advice is "If it ain't broken, don't try and fix it!" :D

I'me leaving it allone for the moment but the noise of the fan is driving me nuts
    have to get a new one.

Advertisement