Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

explan something to me about komplett please

• 21-07-2003 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

As my on going quest to buy (or build) a new pc gathers pace

Could some one explane to me what Komplett mean when they say "OEM" ie 2800xp barton OEM 190 euro .......... compeared to a "boxed" version for 300!!!

whats the difference ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,149 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

u get a crap hsf and a better guarntee (i think) with the retail one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Raz

Dell and companies like them get their chips OEM (well dell don't do AMD but you get the point.)
    OEM mean "Ordinary Equipment Manufacturer"
    The OEM version comes as the chip in a little plastic bag (essentially)
    The boxed verion comes with the chip, a HSF, a guarantee/warranty and possibly instructions (don't know about that bit)
    With the boxed you're pretty much paying for the guarantee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

OEM means that basically you get the hardware without any manuals, drivers, box etc. Usually no support from the manufacture either. The packaging tends to be a bubble wrap bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

OEM is just the CPU... in an anti-static box etc of course..

The retail one comes in a retail box with instructions, and usually a HSF too and maybe even some thermal paste. Also can be a different colour if you care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

what do you suggest i should get ?????

im a newbe to building pc,s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Raz
    OEM mean "Ordinary Equipment Manufacturer"
    er ... i know I'm being a bit anal retentive but its "Original Equipment Manufacturer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

sure if theres only €10 in the difference get the boxed and dont use the cpu fan . the warrienty is a + since its ur first build if u **** up and kill the cpu you can have it replaced . tis a big +

but there is almost no difference .

well i agree to the idea of a cpu meltdown is somewhat chilling

and for some reasion i got the price wrong its 220 euro for a boxed version not 300

ah well thanks for the advice anyway,s

On a second note i take it that if i buy window,s XP home OEM ill just get the cd,s to install and notting else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by elexes
    sure if theres only €10 in the difference get the boxed and dont use the cpu fan . the warrienty is a + since its ur first build if u **** up and kill the cpu you can have it replaced . tis a big +

but there is almost no difference .
    Hi,

please be careful: When you buy the "boxed" Version the Heatsink is already mounted and you have a warranty on your CPU.

The OEM has no HSF (so it is just the plain cpu-die).

And here comes the problem: the boxed heatsink is ok. But only ok. If you want something more powerful or less noisier (nevertheless the original one is ok!) you have to remove the boxed-fan and you warranty goes down the river....

AMD accepts no warranty claims on boxed versions with removed heatsink!
    And more funny: they don't do warranty on the OEM-Versions (they changed that since april2003). So your warranty is completely dependend from your dealer! Sometimes it can be very hard to proof that you didn't damage the CPU yourself ;)

Keep that in mind.

jow

thanks jow thats very infomative

But to be honest anything that makes the building that little bit easyer would be very nice seeming im a newbe and i wouldnt be worried about nose

It is worrying though the pc i can get for the money im planing to pay is pritty nice

2800xp barton
    asus a7n8x motherboard
    Chieftec Dragon BigTower, w/Door, Black Case w/360W power
    Corsair PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB ECC REG 32Meg x 8, CAS 2.5, Low profile
    Geforce Fx 5200 (i know its not great but money doesnt grow on trees)
    Windows xp Home (oem)

Im going to use my Cd rom and 60gig hd from this pc

For 800 includeing shipping (add around 50 euro for casefans and stuff)

But crist if it goes up like a russian nuke station id kill myself:(
    Any sites i can look at about the subject of pc building ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Esentially PC building isnt too difficult, built my own first one with no help at all...took a long time and a bit of trial and error but i got it working.

Just make sure that your motherboard isnt touching your case (ie screw thingys with rubber contacts are used to keep anything metal touching the motherboard. If soemthing is touching it it just wont start...simple.
    O also make sure that you clear yourself of static electricity before touching and computer parts as you can very badly damage them if you dont. Sorry i dont have a site but im sure if u google a bit you'll find one, or a few that when pieced together will answer your questions.

i take it those screw,s with rubber Mounts comes with the Motherboard ?

Also other than the pc bits itself ...... what extra is needed to build a pc as in tool,s screw,s anti - static stuff etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by bizmark
    i take it those screw,s with rubber Mounts comes with the Motherboard ?

Also other than the pc bits itself ...... what extra is needed to build a pc as in tool,s screw,s anti - static stuff etc etc etc
    Hi,
    the screws and rubbers normally comes with the computer case (they have a nice small box in it and it contains all the small parts etc.).
    Normally you just need a screwdriver and thats all. Be sure to touch something _big_ grounded (for example the radiator of your houses central heating) before touching the cpu and ram.
    the rest is more or less bullet proof I would say (be gentle when assembling then you can't insert the cpu/ram wrong. In pcs there is normally only one way how things fit, ok except the good old floppy cable ;))

My hint is: have a look in the web (ask Mr. Google about PC building) or search the boards.ie. As far as I remember somebody postet a link to pc building some time ago ;)

jow

http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/ very nice (and huge) guid it does all seem very stright forword a lot like playing with lego really (costly lego)........... Their are some bit that look a tad bit hard but it will be a month or 2 before i start buying stuff so i have plenty of time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

another hint id give is to turn ur pc plug upside down and then plug it into ur pc...that way it aint live but still connected to the earth of the mains. Differing views on wether this helps much tho.

(^^ to prevent static discharge damage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭aclane

http://www.buildeasypc.com is worth a look:cool:

Advertisement