Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radio help required

Options
  • 21-07-2003 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I got a new radio for the car, a toyota corolla. I'm an electronic engineering student and so decided to try and install it myself.
    It seemed quite straight-forward, however the radio's connector didn't match the cars connector. The cars connector is ISO while
    the radios connector is not a generic one. I got a pin diagram for the toyota radio harness and matched it to the radios harness. The problem
    is that I read the car harness diagram the wrong way round, i.e. I presumed the diagram was of the non-mating end, but it was of the mating end. This resulted in
    some of the speakers being connected to 12V. What I would like to know is will this 12V have blown the speakers?
    I can check this evening anyway when I get home from work , but does anyone have any ideas in the meantime....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

mightn't have blown them completely

but they'll prolly be damaged.

done similar myself as a kid (but intentionally)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

It's likely that they were damaged
    (although that's assuming you had them grounded at their other terminal as well, obvioulsy). As i'm sure you're aware there is quite a bit of juice from a car battery, and I can see it being enough to burn out the voice coils of certain speakers, especially bog standard cheapy ones, or at least melt the solder that connects the terminals to the eyelets of the speaker cone.

Advertisement