Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP User Isolation, with IIS 5?

Options
  • 21-07-2003 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a dedicated web server [Windows 2000, IIS 5] with a few web sites hosted on it. Each site belongs to a different person, and I want each person to be able to ftp into their site only. At the moment, I can only seem to configure IIS to accept connections into the FTP Root. I couldn't seem to figure it out by looking at the settings on IIS, so I did a search and read an article on FTP User Isolation on the Microsoft Web Site. It seems, however, that this is just for IIS 6.0?

So my question is: Is it possible to set up FTP User Isolation on IIS 5? Or is there a workaround that will provide essentially the same functionality? I don't fancy setting up many ftp sites on different ports, but is this the only way around it [Bar upgrading to Windows 2003 Server :p]?

Many thanks!

Serb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Create a user with the correct permissions to access their directories.

Then with the internet services manager, create a new FTP virtual directory - call it exactly the same name as the user - then point it at the user's directories and give it read/write permissions as you like.

Voila :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Serbian

Regi, ya beauty ;)

Thanks for that. I now have the problem that the users can go back one level and see all the folders for the web sites though.. hmm, I guess I have to set the permissions on the web directory?

Thanks again :)

Serb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Yup, you've just got to fix all the permissions on the directories.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Create an empty dir and point the FTP Site to it (not the virtual directories)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

(as in D:\EmptyDir for the FTP Site and then your virtuals would be D:\Customers\customer1 D:\Customers\customer2 etc)

• Advertisement
Advertisement