Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitsubishi DVD Player

Options
  • 21-07-2003 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Power City are selling a multi-region DVD Player by Mistsubishi (model OBD24). I would be grateful if anyone had any experience of this model or even manufacturer that they would share before I take the plunge with my dosh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hey, I'm not sure about that model but i bought a black diamond dvd player 2 years ago (before i heard bad stuff about them) and its been fantastic, great quality, great sound and a good price. I've seen the current ones though and don't like the look of them, they seem less well equipped (no surround sound decoder or optical on some of them). There is a toshiba on Amazon for £79 thats supposed to be the dogs bollocks tho, i've seen it mentioned in one of the other threads on this forum check it outhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

(before i heard bad stuff about them)

Jaypers, what bad stuff did you hear about them???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I know two people with that very player (purchased from Power City as well).. theres been no problems with either (I'm usually the first person called when there is)... they're grand and do the job quite well, picture quality is pretty decent for a cheap player although thats not too much of an issue on smallish tvs... it also plays mp3s as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wonder who actually makes the DVD player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thanks for the help guys. Bought the player last night and set it up and it works very well.

Although behind my TV, I now need a machete to hack my way to the socket with all the scarts and leads for TV, Video, digibox, DVD and tv signal digisender!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

(before i heard bad stuff about them)

after I bought my Black Diamond dvd player, i started hearing people giving bad reviews of them, it never really bothered me though cos its great for me. i was a bit upset though when i saw my dvd player in the argos catalogue branded "Akai" for £50 cheaper than i paid for it.

Bottom line, i've had no problems with my dvd player, it can be a bit noisy loading but thats it, however looking around the board i see lots of "avoid black diamond" messages especially with tv's.

Regarding the makers of dvd players, my friend in germany bought a budget machine for €79, took it home and opened it and found that the dvd drive was actually a 2 year old panasonic model, thats pretty good seeing as the panasonic originally cost £400+(approx)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, some of the older Mitsubishi VCR's were actually Philips. I think the current Black Diamond branded VCR's are made by Daewoo or somebody.

The Black Diamond TV's are hit & miss really. You could be lucky and get a decent one. Majority/All of them are made cheaply in Turkey.

I have a cheapo "Powerpoint" DVD player which is working great for me, but they are known to have power-supply problems, though so far, mine is working fine and hope it stays that way! :)

Advertisement