Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New WIT alcohol policy

• 21-07-2003 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭

I guess this should be posted here under college play, though if the powers that be in WIT get their way there won't be any fun this year.
    It's a charter of new rules for the institute, it's pretty long and boring, but it lays out plans for curtailing the use of alcohol on campus or as part of campus related activities. I don't drink in a big way myself, (and actually when the row went on last Christmas day I was at a computer doing projects I'm almost ashamed to admit,) and, while it's great that they are trying to make students more aware of alcohol-related issues, I think this is taking student control one step too far. No bands in the Dome before 2pm on any academic day, no alcohol advertisements or promotion advertisements, and no alcohol in kegs, cases or otherwise as prizes for college events.. I think that's kinda stifling to the Rag Week/Christmas Day atmosphere.
    Should be a fun year!! :rolleyes: Any opinions from WIT students or otherwise???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

http://www.ul.ie/regcorpsec/AlcoholPolicy_25_June_2002.htm

http://www.tcd.ie/Junior_Dean/AlcoholPolicy.htm

http://www.usi.ie/news/alcoholpolicy3oct.htm

http://www.ucd.ie/news/alcoholpolicy.htm

http://www.doh.ie/pressroom/pr20011009.html

You'll find from the links above that it is not just WIT who have introduced an alcohol policy but lots of other colleges with USI having an input as well. I have to say I find a lot of the college policies are extremely controlling and actually treat students like children, however during my time in college I did come accross ridiculously immature incidents and a lot of drinking to excess. I suppose on balance I agree with these policies if they a; treat students like mature adults, b; recognise the social aspects of college and that people do drink c; look at ways of publicisng the services eg counselling to those with drink problems and d; have student consultation if they feel in any way that these policies are too restrictive etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

I agree with everything that you said, and I also take the view that college authorities are correct in taking a serious view on a lcohol and alcohol abuse within campus. I think in WIT's case it's been taken a bit too far, however it remains to be seen what the outcome will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

if some students really want a drink, they'll jsut go off and get drunk somewere else. it's not really helping a great deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The new more stringent stance on Alcohol is coming directly from the HEA (Higher Education Authority) and the Government. All the third level institutes either have implemented an Alcohol Policy or will be required to do so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    I have to say I find a lot of the college policies are extremely controlling and actually treat students like children
    you will find 17 year olds (and a very small number of 16 year olds) in colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

i don't think there is anything wrong with having an policy.
    In Carlow, not allowed to have prizes in form of alcohol.
    can advertise promotions, but nothing to do with excessive drinking e.g. No "Drink till you drop" kinda stuff
    and Students had an input in the Carlow policy!
    did ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Lads, enjoy the beer in college, cuz when you leave it'll be tons more difficult to get langered during the week.
    Pity. When I was in college and had no money and plenty of opportunites for the craic. Now I have money and those oppotunities are alot fewer. Ah well, c'est la vie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

while i agree that sum lads(and lasses) go a bit mental an odd time....we are only young and how the hell else are ya gooona survive college when you have no heating but go to the warm pub 3 or 4 nights a week?
    probably having the prizes of alcohol banned is politically correct cos people are sick of spiort+booze running the colleges.
    but the prompotions an rag weeks are gonna b strange.can you imagine next febuary walikn in to any rag week in the country and seeing no puke/ broken galsses/ blood/ jackets/ girls on the floor-beethoven on the decks-red lemonade in our glasses and nicotette patches on our arms cos were not allowed smoke either!!!
    christ il think il quit college and go run for the dáil!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i was just gone 17 by a month when i started coll,
    didnt stop me drinking.

wheeeeeee

course it didnt stop you drinking-sure nothing shud ever stop u drinking!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

anybody notice the higher security presence than normal in ucd today - they were checking bags for drink at the Clonskeagh / Wynnsward drive gate!

shud go 2some of my lectures-brought a bottle of bucky in with me before:o

wats the craic did everyone go to class today or wat?very scacre with the posts!

yeah well i was supposed to have a computer practical this afternoon which i didn't go to because i assumed it wasn't on.

yeah i spent monday in the wrong course,so didnt go in since...shud get away with that excuse for rest of semester;)

Very worrying --- we got attendance sheets! Obviously the powers that be mean business this year!

maybe we have them too...i havnt been in.if we have attendence sheets im screwed,il be found out dat im in wrong course

Advertisement