Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 21-07-2003 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

I am looking for information on started to scuba dive as in March 2004 I am go to Cuba and would like to dive there.

I have looked around and it seems the basic course is 550 euro. Is this average for Ireland? Is there a cheeper course?

Or would it be cheaper to do this course out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

A mate of mine has just come back from 6 months in Mexico where he did his divemaster (Bastard). Anyway I think you may find it cheaper and a lot more comfortable to do it out there. Check for dive clubs on the web. Make sure they are fully PADI certified.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Mick L

An advantage to doing your course here is that you will be better prepared for your diving next year and will appreciate the warm, clear water more. Also if you find that you really like the sport (which of course you will :D) you won't have a problem making the transition back to Irish waters. Lastly, if you're qualified before you go you can spend your dives on holiday enjoying yourself rather than doing drills. 550 sounds about right, I think my OW was around 400 pounds. Where are you thinking of doing your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Some information on diving in Cuba can be found here. Try to research as much as possible on the web. Find prices/reviews ect and make up your own mind weather to lern to dive in Ireland or Cuba.

I agree with Mick. There is a world of difference between diving in the clear warm densly fish populated waters of the Caribbean and the cold dark densly populated kelp waters of Ireland. They are 2 different types of dives.

Also yopu can do the open water in Scubadive west for €500. I would STRONGLY advise doing the advanced open water as well if you enjoy the sport (approx €375) which will give you extra specialty dives with an instructor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 awhitty2

Thanks for the Info

Advertisement