Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows key

Options
  • 21-07-2003 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

i've bought a apple mac pro keyboard for my pc and the windows key for it is in the alt position on normal keyboard i was wondering can i set the alt button on my keyobard (where windows key is on normal keyboard) to be the windows key and the apple key (where the alt key is on normal keyboard) to be the alt key.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But which version ??
    Anyway you are remapping "control" keys which is kinda low level stuff - nearest I've seen is the swap for caps lock and ctrl on www.sysintenals.com site -start your search there - they have given source code too - in theory you could write your own driver.

Hint: When talking to the keyoard driver the normal alphanumerics return a single ascii code, where as the other keys give two bytes - the first being 0 the second being the one you ID the key by. - There are other things to consider - caps num scroll insert all have toggles stored somewhere ....

I'd say your best bet is swap the buttons and live with it...

If using Knoppix / other GUI versions of Unix you can usually remap the key combinations - Alt will still be Alt , but "Alt-R" will now be "Run"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm that answer was really technical isn't there just a program to do it

ohh btw i'm using windows XP Pro SP1

Advertisement