Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DynaMIKE!

• 21-07-2003 9:37pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Been ranting and raving about this so called "DynaMIKE!" for quite some time now, and that's because it is one in my countless projects known as "Games"...

I've been fiddling around with GamesFactory quite a lot recently, and have made a few projects on it already, but when it came to DynaMIKE (The ONE project I really REALLY didn't expect to go anywhere) I came up trumps... Especially since I learned that it is VERY possible to adapt it towards online multiplayer play...

This is effective seeing as it'll nuke my usual early morning battles on TetriNET right out of the water...

DynaMIKE is currently old Bomberman and PacMan mixed together into a rather cute little collection of mazes, full of blobs that you can blow to bits in order to open the route to the next level... As in most games, the creatures get tougher as you progress and there are encounters with BOSS creatures etc etc and as it stands it could work pretty well as a multiplayer game (If I can impliment that feature - Wether it be co-operative or al all out dynamite war!) and thats the only reason Im posting about it here...

Basically, seeing as I've gotten the engine done, Im going to throw together a wad of levels and throw it out there for you lot to test (If you want) - If anyone likes it and think it'd go down well online, then thats when I'll need the services of a few blokes to endure some testing and bits...
    I'll have screenshots up soon once I get a few extra levels done...
    Wish me luck.

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Scrap that, actually - After all the effort I've gotten sick of it :D
    I'll come back to it at a later date, but as it stands there's a minor problem with the engine and I have to go and revamp half of it, so that'll be another day or so before I can get screenies.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

**** it - I'm going to scrap the whole thing and start over again - The engine has gone all mank after I tested a few things out.

At least I've learnt more about it however. I'll have full blown RPG's in the pipeline next :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm not too fond of RPG's.

I'm more of an fps man myself

It wasn't an RPG, more of a bomberman style "Smite Thine Enemies To Reveal Teh Exit" type "OEMG IM NAERLY UOT OF TIEM!" kinda 2D cute game...

But it's scrapped now...
    It's been replaced by... Wait for it...
    PONG!

yes, nice and colourful... This game has balls!
    Will have details soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't give up on DynaMIKE just yet! Definitely has that gauntlet feel to it. Much appeals to me :)

Like the design of the pong. Well laid out loike. But is the background there to purposely make it more difficult? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

like the look of both of them ! a simple 2d rpg ala nes or snes would be coola :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

stop trolling my boards pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

?

THATS BREAKOUT!

not pong :D

• Advertisement

Well Tusky, I've already told you my future basic plans :D
    After these two are worked on (Or scrapped - Depending on my patience) the next step will be on a small, old style 2d RPG... I have pretty much the main characters / sprites and things I need except backgrounds and other materials...

Anyhow, cheers for the support guys - I know it looks pretty basic and all that, but it's passing the time, keeping me off the drink, and it's been fun creating them.

I'll post updates and demo's at some stage soon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

keep on workin on em, i'd like to see a demop of dynamike.

Unfortunately, DynaMIKE got halted because of a few minor bugs that got me a little frustrated with it, so I went to MehPong and it's working a treat, despite a few stupid annoying bugs...

I have a six stage demo in my grasp for any who wants it...
    Unfortunately, because I couldn't find any handy webspace, it looks like it'll have to be DCC'd via mIRC if anyone wants it, so give me a shout if you do.

As for DynaMIKE, it seems quite a few people want to get a taste of it :cool:
    I'll get some form of demo of it working soon for yall.
    Cheers for the interest lads.

BUGS:

Colliding with the walls in Level 2 cause the bat to "Climb them"... With each hit, the bat'll move up (Right wall) or Down (Left Wall) and it's the only honestly nasty bug I've come across so far.

Encounters with the Jungle JellyDog can sometimes make the ball go nuts (It gets stuck IN the dog sometimes) but this flattens itself out after a split second - Just looks weird.

Sometimes, if the JellyDog is in the right place, hitting him can cause the ball to get stuck in the wall. This can be fixed easily, but I haven't done so for the demo seeing as I've only seen it once during my miles of testing. Shall be fixed later...

I'm hungry, and playing this game doesn't help.
    I'll have to stomp that problem out really soon or it could kill the game outright, and the creator with it.

The exploding sound for the blocks sometimes overlap making things a little sore on the ears, but this can be dealth with or gotten used to :)

If anyone has any suggestions for webspace, let me know.
    And another thanks to anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Just like the good old days of breakout but this one has noises and pretty colours and it is pretty addictive. Keep up the good work on it I demand more levels!

Thanks to the ever helpful SyxPac, who uploaded the MehPong demo to some webspace, we've now got a link to the demo...

Now that my DCC can take a breather, I'll take the time to tell you that:

a) You need winace (Or a winace compatible unzip program) to unzip this demo...
    b) If you don't already have the CNCS32.dll file, you'll need to install it with the "SETUP" program included with the zip...

and c)
    All you need to do then is unzip the whole lot to a folder. Keep it all together and just click the .exe file to bust some coloured blocks and listen to exploding sounds :D

Now my firends, test out this rubbish game HERE:
    http://frink.nuigalway.ie/~syxpak/files/MehPongDemo.ace

(Again, thanks to John)

FUTURE UPDATES:
    Well, for a start, I wouldn't mind getting some idea's from you lot...
    The current updates that WILL go into the game will be the Space / Asteroids Levels (Will be good) and the eagerly awaited Pinball levels (Will ****ing own) and once the whole shebang is complete, I'll work towards a multiplayer aspect... I've had a nice little idea to do with MehPong Wars... Maybe even three to four player Breakout Levels with powerup's and block mangling moves and ****e :D

We'll see how it goes...
    Cheers to any and all who help out / test the game - I do hope you enjoy it.

You should make it so the littles fishies jump out of the water and knock the ball in a different direction :). great game. Love the music and im looking forward to ur 2D rpg. I hereby ban you from playing cs until u finish these lil projects.

God no, what would I ever do without CS :rollsack: :D
    Glad a few people like it. Unfortunately, if you remotely like it and keep playing it, it'll eventually grow on you more, so I really need to get some more levels done... Won't take me long to complete the Jungle level so then I can work on the others...

I have quite a nice few idea's rolling around my head at the moment, but unfortunately, I'll have to wait until after my three day working week before I can get any done, and then it'll be my 21st Birthday on Friday so I'll be on a bender for the weekend most likely...

Still, levels are relatively easy to make so if I can get about 4 to 6 levels made with 4 stages each, that should keep people occupied enough for me to get some form of work done on DynaMIKE... After that, I'll test my patience with the RPG!

Again, cheers to any and all who take the time to give the demo a go :D

Thanks people!

ITS BREAKOUT DAMMIT.

Pong is Pong... Breakout is Breakout...

This is MehPong... Being it's creator I have the right to name it what I wish :D And I choose MehPong seeing as it represents my sudden slump in imagination at the time...

All hail MehPong, a display of my boredom incarnate!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Whatever it's called, it sure is good fun! :)

I've only got as far as 2nd level yet! Damn bat is too slow across teh water! Fishies are nice tho! ;)

Let me clear this up...

THE BAT IS NOT SLOW!
    It seems to be the only thing people have any real gripe with at the moment, and all i can suggest is GET SOME SKILLS :D

Nah seriously, I plan to add a few features in once I get a decent wad of levels...
    I might have it so that you can select the type of Bat and Ball to use... Power Bats that are slow, or speedy weak bats or ones which the ball sticks to... It'd be a sweet idea, but Im going to wait until this damn engine is bug free and I get some more feedback once I make a bigger demo!

Im glad that MehPong Is getting some praise... Quite a few people have downloaded it now, and I haven't heard a bad word yet, which is strange.

Im glad you enjoy it guys, and sure it'll only get better once I get back working on it :D

Big thanks to those who've taken the time to play it!

Originally posted by RopeDrink

Im glad that MehPong Is getting some praise... Quite a few people have downloaded it now, and I haven't heard a bad word yet

Fuck Shít Ass Bitch

Advertisement