Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Depression is turning me into a jerk

• 21-07-2003 11:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi ive been feeling really depressed lately i dont know why. but its really affecting my personality particularily in social situations. i either act all shy and boring or else i act immature and hyperactive just to hide it. people have commented a change in my personality. i would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Try and find out why you are feeling depressed, cause you can't really do anything about it till you have some idea of the cause.

Have you just moved to a new place, broke up with your girlfriend, drifted away from friends etc etc (i could be a combination of a few things) If you are feeling depressed in these social settings maybe you have issues with your current friends?

If it is not metal it could be something physical. Have you started or stopped talking any form of drugs or medication? Have you been working long hours, or not getting enought sleep? Have you been getting enought excersise or drinking enought water (sounds silly but can actually cause quite perfound changes in metal state)?

If you have no clue you might try talking to someone (possible a professional) to try and get to the root of things.

Sometimes just simply talking about something can make you see things in a totally different light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by incubusmonkey
    hi ive been feeling really depressed lately i dont know why. but its really affecting my personality particularily in social situations. i either act all shy and boring or else i act immature and hyperactive just to hide it. people have commented a change in my personality. i would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer me.

Thanks!!

Yeah buddy, know what you mean. This happened to me a lot in my last job, which I really hated. I hardly recognised myself half the time. But as wicknight says, try to find out whats bothering you (easier said than done). You may need to spend some time alone to do this, cuz when you're around other people, you start acting strangely. Once you find out whats bothering you, then the fun part of fixing it kicks in. Again, this is easier said than done.
    One step at a time, dude :-) Keep yer chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

Try and find someone that you can talk to about whatever is bothering you in life. It can really help to bring things out in to the open, and then you can start dealing with them.

Talking to a professional can be very good as long as you're willing to cooperate and go through the (sometimes) obvious motions. Again, getting any problems you have to come to the surface is the first step to dealing with them and moving on to a happier place.

Think of a few things that you really like to do and make sure you do them every couple of days. Sometimes due to work and other pressures in life you can find that you don't give yourself time to enjoy life.

And of course, if you don't feel like talking to people face to face, use boards as a way of getting things off your chest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

TBH, it sounds more like a) a touch of bi-polar disorder or (and more likely) b) a chemical imbalance. That is to say a form of emotive disorder that could be solved with a prescription, or is caused by, as others have suggested, temporal events.

The book, "Depression: A Common Sense Approach" is brilliant for finding out to what ones symtpoms relate, and it's only a fiver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for the support so far its been quite positive

• Advertisement
Advertisement