Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

msn messenger 6.0

Options
  • 22-07-2003 7:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

i recently got the new version of msn messenger because my buddie want me to play online games :rolleyes: right but now i have 2 icons on my start menu one icon msn6.0 and the older one will i just delete the icon and assume that the 6.0 version updated the older version?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

AFAIK, MSN 6.0 is installed seperately to the standard MSN.
    So you can uninstall 6.0 if you don't like it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well actually i think it was msn messenger 5.0 that was a separate install cuz when iinstall when it came out, i had it and 5.0 . When i got 6.0 it just updated the other one. i think the new one is fairly cool too. Has anybody got/made custom smilies yet? if so how do u upload them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

its two seperate installs, you can run two accounts if you want, comes in handy every now and again. messenger 6 is still only considered a preview, don't think it's being released as totatly official yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

i bet they try some way to make money out of it.
    pay per view smilies, i can see it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by fisty
    i bet they try some way to make money out of it.
    pay per view smilies, i can see it now...

They will prob charge subscriptions for using the msn messenger service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They wont charge for the forseeable future.. There is too many free alternatives such as Yahoo Messenger and AOL's AIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by suppafly
    Has anybody got/made custom smilies yet? if so how do u upload them?

i have them. All you do is follow the instructions on ths site here. When you type in the code you have the custom smilie as [eg: I have the Battlefield logo and if i type in "bf1942" in a message it triggers the smilie ], it will upload the picture from your pc to the other person pc. It may take a second or two for the smilie to come up on the other persons depending on your connections.

Its very good and can be fun. Though i do usually stick to the defaul ones as they are improved. I havent tried an animated smilie but im guessing all it is is an animated gif.

Overall i do like this new MSN. Been using it for a month or so now. I find it less buggy then other MSN's and a lot more user friendly. Very XP :D
    Emoticons
    Using the image you downloaded to your computer as an emoticon:
    1. Open MSN Messenger, choose Tools from the menu bar at the top.
    2. Select Create Emoticons...
    3. A My Custom Emoticons window will open.
    4. Click Find Image to find the image you would like to add to your messenger.
    5. When you’ve found the image in your computer, select Open.
    6. Type a keyboard shortcut you’d like to use with your new emoticon.
    7. Give your emoticon a name and select OK.
    8. The desired image file will be added to your list of emoticons.
    Tips on creating the optimal custom emoticon:
    • You can use JPEG, GIF, PNG, or BMP
    • 19 pixels wide by 19 pixels high for best results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yup i switched back to the new one.

If your looking for custom avantars or smilies check out

http://www.mess.be

The site has loads of eveyrthing but is heavily scripted and opening links in new windows on it is not recommended.

Also a must for messenger 6 or any messenger is MSGPLUS and you can download it here:

http://www.msgplus.net/index.php?view=download

Gid.

Advertisement