Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RENEGADE skatepark construction

Options
  • 22-07-2003 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Anyone got any suggestions for suitable spots to build a semi public illegal ramp. I've got a generator and all the power tools, and wood is easy enough to come across. Underneath a motorway flyover or somewhere sheltered like that and out of the way of firestarting cider heads. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I could think of a couple of primary schools worth trying although the ramp will only last untill September. Where abouts are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

I live in Kilcock near Maynooth at the mo. There is a place near Enfield that'd be good under a bridge ,but unfortunatly between a canal and a railway line so might be a bit too dangerous for the kids y'know. I don't want some poor fecker gettin milled oura it by de 5:15 from sligo!
    There is a potential site or two in Blanchardtown ,I've yet to investigate. The new bridge in Dundrum has plenty of space but is a bit to open to get away with building under. I reckon if we go in wearing reflective bibs , pasers by will presume us to be council workers and no questions will be asked.
    Maybe we could use this ploy to stick a transition on the bottom of the drainage ditch near UCD.

I'll keep my eye out for spots, I was looking at the Luas line already but I don't think the ground is too smooth between the tracks. I'll check it again at some other places.

If you do find a place give me a shout and I'll give a hand if needed.

I'm based near ternenure.

We were thinking of throwing a few street course items , grind boxes etc into the carpark behind Hollingsworths bike shop in templeogue village (I grew up in Knocklyon). If we pushed them well out of the way after use I'd say we'd get away with it as it's a quiet enough spot.
    But what I'm really looking for is a dry spot for a bigish (16ft +) mini ramp so it doesn't matter if the ground is smooth or not allthough the more flat and level it is the better. If that went well we could move on to concrete ,if burnside can do it so can we!

Hollingsworth would be a decent spot although a fair few kids skate there so you would either have to lock the ramp or make sure they know to respect the ramps and put them back. Hollingsworth would be cool for me too as I live a few minutes walk away. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Vladivar

Well Hollingsworth might not be the best place cause of that lane beside it, I think
    theres a fare few hard balls who hang out there and I have seen fare too many burnt
    out cars in there too. I'll keep a look out for places!!!!

Yeah I don't think I'd want to put in any ramp I'd care to much about losing . Theres other stuff that can be done to like adding angle iron to the curbs or puting in concrete here and there to make driveways etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nitrobyname

Hey shaggy its keith,i will send you some pics of that soon when i get the chance, i dont think renagade park building would be good there though it would be a bit too noticable.It would be more preferred as a council park.
    I do however know a resonable place to do that where there is no scumbags, not to many people and would not be to noticable.
    And the best part a bout it is that it would be done under the M50.
    I live near blanchardstown and this place is pretty much hidden.
    The place is situated right beside the blanchardstown roundabout, you know the one which goes over the M50.
    The place has the M50 road as shelter because its a bridge and also has 2 junction bridges beside it which ends out as 4 bridges going over the spot, this makes it pretty much rain proof.
    Its beside the tolka river and has a long lenth for skateing but only about 4 meters width.
    The only people passing through there would be people fishing.
    The only real problem with the place is that the ground is cobblelock.
    This could be fixed with wood easily.
    Il try to send more info and a photo of the place soon to you.
    P.S Dont worry we already tried to see if your board can fall in the river and it cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 twitchy

Can someone tell me where I can buy angle irons for curbs? Its probably somewhere really obvious but I can't think. I might put a few down in my local carpark (Portmarnock), cos the curbs are a little rough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nitrobyname

Yor local builder supplier stores usually sell them, i only could find 2inch width by 1 cm thick angle iron which is pretty big, unlike the stuff at seapoint benches which is relativly small.
    Anyway the stuff i bought was 9 euro per 3 ft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 twitchy

Nice one nitro, I'll have a look. They seem pretty cheap as well. 2" seems like an ok size, anything I can practice grinding on will do. I haven't seen the Salthill benches cos they're a bit out of my way. Were the angle irons put on after they were skate stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tiki_dud

ya just go to yourr local hardwear store and youl find exactly what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mishuhunter

i found a place to build a 3 ft mini ramp. its underneath a bridge on a train track. the bridge is very old and the walls are cracking apart. i just finished building the miniramp this summer and it tunred out alright. since the bridge is only 9ft high and 15 ft wide, i was able to make a 3ft high mini that had had really quick transitions. witch is its only flaw. no cops know about it yet. people do more drinking there than skating, but well see how long it holds up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

shag wrote:
    firestarting cider heads. Any suggestions?
    Don't waste your time with wood. Simple as. Any renegade concrete parks have all been built gradually, starting with a quarter and moving on to something like FDR, Burnside, that place in Wales, etc. You're right about the construction garb though, hiding in plain sight will work, which is what was done at the Salthill benches, pre-skatestopping.

Any of you younger heads thinking about doing likewise, for the love of god, do what you have to do, tell nobody and if it's obviously public like Salthill, do not return for a week or so. Stealth is paramount.

Re: Dundrum bridge - that empty space, if owned by South Dublin Council, would be a perfect spot for little bowl or ledge-based skate park. Anybody know anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sdjustin

theres any emptied out water resevoir in an apartment estate behind the radiison hotel near ucd if you put fresh concrete on the ground and a sh1t load of weed killer it would be so sick !!! its already basically a huge bowl but with weeds in the way part of it is skateable but its abit bumpy so fresh concrete would be hesh.... please if your making a renegade park check this place out ... its been closed for years but the only problem would be residents maybe complaining about noise but if its kept on the dl it would be cool check it out though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fisheye

sdjustin wrote:
    theres any emptied out water resevoir in an apartment estate behind the radiison hotel near ucd if you put fresh concrete on the ground and a sh1t load of weed killer it would be so sick !!! its already basically a huge bowl but with weeds in the way part of it is skateable but its abit bumpy so fresh concrete would be hesh.... please if your making a renegade park check this place out ... its been closed for years but the only problem would be residents maybe complaining about noise but if its kept on the dl it would be cool check it out though

I know the one you're talking of - skated it years back in 2000, surprised that it's still there. The concrete was harsh as nails when I was there, but as I remember, it was in a large field, surrounded by tall trees on most sides, so the noise shouldn't be that much of a problem. Only thing is that it's in a rich area so the residents will complain ASAP. And posting details on the web about the whereabouts of such developments is never a good thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 expn

shag wrote:
    Anyone got any suggestions for suitable spots to build a semi public illegal ramp. I've got a generator and all the power tools, and wood is easy enough to come across. Underneath a motorway flyover or somewhere sheltered like that and out of the way of firestarting cider heads. Any suggestions?

Hi Shag,

a good friend of mine has been talking to his dad about letting us use some land he has down in Athy . Not too far from Kilcock, we're from Maynooth and Dunboyne , and have built ramps before .....My friend John is a great carpentar !
    We basically want to build a 8ft-10ft high vert ramp , 24ft wide , 7.5ft tranny , and probably 10ft-12ft flat ...... But nothing's fully decided yet...!
    We also want to roof it , put in lights ,music ,the works .......! All this would have to be done first , to protect it with our weather.....

I'm trying to get more people on board because of the cost of building something like this, there's three of us already , but as you can imagine , we want to be selective of who we have in on it with us......
    basically i've read some of your posts , and being from kilcock it's just down the road , so if you're interested let me know , and i'll talk to the other lads and we'll see what happens........

peace .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

expn I've sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Quick-Setting Cement

Light and easy to work with
    Prepare enough to be applied within 5 mins
    Sets initially in 15 mins
    5 separate 1Kg bags in handy storage tub
    Price per set

6.99*
    No excuses now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭f

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

n.d.n.s.p is a great spot used ta skate der nd ders no nackers in da skool so ya cu still keep it after da summer ders good hidden away spots at the back of the skool beside da tenni club

Advertisement