Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

802.11a ... yes or no?

Options
  • 22-07-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I was looking at odtr0271.pdf and I saw this at the bottom:
    The ODTR is aware that there are some technical difficulties at present in obtaining equipment that will operate Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS), as mandated by ERC/DEC/(99)23, and that the specification for this facility has not yet been completed.
    Therefore in the interim period, prior to the completion of the specification of the DFS performance characteristics, it has been decided to permit the operation of suitable equipment without the DFS feature in accordance with the technical requirements detailed below (e.g. IEEE 802.11a). This interim solution shall be withdrawn on the completion of the DFS performance characteristics and the publication of the harmonised standard in the Official Journal of the European Communities.
    Technical Requirements:
    1. Equipment shall meet the draft harmonised standard EN 301 893 except for the requirement of DFS.
    2. Equipment may only be used INDOORS.
    3. The frequency band of operation may be either 5150 – 5250MHz or 5150 – 5350MHz. The maximum permitted radiated power shall vary depending on the selection of frequency band (see Table 3 below).
    4. A random channel selection mechanism shall be implemented across the entire band selected, to ensure a uniform channel loading over the entire band.
    5. Transmitter Power Control (TPC), where implemented, shall provide at least 3dB mitigation.
    Does this mean that you can use any 802.11a that you can get your hands on, as long as you dont go over the power limits and dont use it outdoors? I have a 802.11a access point and pccard coming from the US and I just want to know if I should be keeping my eyes open for a van with loads of antennas slowly going around the estate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

you can use .a stuff as long as it's indoors, and you only use channels within those 2 frequency ranges listed there. There's lists online linking channel # to frequency.

In reality comreg has, I believe, nothing to test signals above 1 gig so there's no chance in hell of them coming for you in a white van.

Some of the 5.x ghz stuff is used for important purposes like marine navigation, so do follow the indoor only rule unless you research things a bit more (www.irishwan.org)

Greg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are several different flavours of 5GHz

Roughly speaking in Ireland you are allowed to use half of the channels on one of the three bands.

some are illegal both here and in the UK
    some are only legal indoors in both countries.

The frequencies allowed for outdoor use in the UK are illegal here and visa-versa.

For outdoor use at 5.725 – 5.875GHz - you MUST register the base station http://www.comreg.ie/publications/default.asp?ctype=5&nid=100955

In particular, operators should note the presence of road
    transport and traffic telematic (RTTT) systems in the 5795 - 5805 MHz band and the presence of
    other short range devices such as motion sensors throughout the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Sooooo......if I read my comreg pdfs and other peoples posts right then the following is true: (correct me if I'm wrong)

If I buy stuff from the states I can use it in the home, but only in the following bands:

The unlicensed parts of the 5Ghz spectrum are:
    5.150GHz -> 5.350GHz
    and
    5.470GHz -> 5.725GHz

BUT, 802.11a stuff bought from the states uses:
    Channel 36 -- 5.180GHz
    Channel 40 -- 5.200
    Channel 44 -- 5.220
    Channel 48 -- 5.240
    Channel 52 -- 5.260
    Channel 56 -- 5.280
    Channel 60 -- 5.300
    Channel 64 -- 5.520

Channel 149 -- 5.745
    Channel 153 -- 5.765
    Channel 157 -- 5.785
    Channel 161 -- 5.805
    Channel 165 -- 5.825

So there are several illegal bands being used, illegal because the conflict with road transport and traffic telematic (RTTT) and marine navigation among others.... I live a good distance from the sea, so if the traffic lights start going mental in Ballincollig thats me!.

I havent received my gear yet (Netgear HE102 and WAB501), does anyone know if it is possible to disabe specific channels on these netgear parts to allow me to conform to the laws of the land?

Advertisement