Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local IMAP Server

Options
  • 22-07-2003 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Im looking to set up an IMAP server in an office to download email from external pop3 and imap servers, so this mail can be accessed by staff.

Can anyone recommend any software?

I was looking at http://www.workgroupmail.com/ has anyone any experience with this or similar?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.alt-n.com - commercial - cheap and cheerful

and it will run on any half decent window's PC

also since it stores emails in separate files and settings in text file - disaster recovery is fairly painless.
    You could probably reinstall the software on another workstation in less time than it takes to apply a service pack to exchange and reboot...

Mercury/Pegasus - cheaper again

There are others for windows - but these are the ones that are still around.

====================================

I'm kinda curious to see what is recomended in the open source community ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I currently use MDaemon for this.

I am looking at using something else:

http://www.opengroupware.org

Knoppix flavour. I'll let you know how I get on. Looks to do what I want it to do though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭JJSolutions

MDaemon looks really good, I see they have their own virus software but can norton or other antivirus programs be integrated with it? I cant see this mentioned anywhere on their site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.altn.com

but the default is to store emails in a raw format - so may be possible to use a thrd party scanner - perhaps tick the box to scan EVERY file for EVERYTHING ...
    Also you can get many programs that sit between the server and the firewall - again nothing to do with the email server - you scan the raw traffic on port 25 etc..

Advertisement