Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to calculate loan repayments

Options
  • 22-07-2003 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how this works

say I borrow 1000
    over 2years at 10% APR

I thought it was
    1000x E^(2x0.1)

as in amount multiplied by E to the power of (years by interest rate)

But this gives me a different figure than BOI loan calculator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Your formula is right(ish) if you pay the whole loan off at the end of the two years

€1000 x (1.1)^2

Principal =€1000, Year = 2, Rate =100+10%=1.1

Total payback €1210

But the banks work on a reducing balance method, so interest is generally less, so payments are less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm looking to borrow a €1000 for my car insurance. Having done the research I can tell you one direct is probably the cheapest you'll get. You end up paying €41 back over a year.... feck all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

That can't be right.... because if you multiply 41 by 12 months, then weoul you pnly pay back 492 Euros for 1000 you borrowed. No bank could afford this kind of business. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Or if its was 41 weekly, that would be over 2000. I presume it is 21 you meant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveg
    You end up paying €41 back over a year.... feck all really.
    I think he means €41 interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Did up a neat little configurable spreadsheet to work through your payment periodicity, reducing balances, cumulative interest, etc. for periods from 1 year through to 30 years, but when I tried to attach it to this message, it was 325k, so I couldn't post it here. Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Victor
    I think he means €41 interest.

Correct. Thanks Victor.

Advertisement