Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Offaly - Options

Options
  • 22-07-2003 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone tell me very quickly what broadband offerings are in Co. Offaly?

I gather that DSL is not an option!

Thanks in advance

thegills

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tullamore is on the list that Seamus Transcribed from the Eircom ads last week. That mean all providers who resell RADSL are available there.

Elsewhere in Offaly its probably VSAT with the exception maybe of Castledaly in the extreme NW which could pick up Wireless from Athlone. Birr Clara Edenderry are not on any list for this year. There are no other sizeable towns in Offaly .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if u look for the ndp website its all up there . tullamore is to be done by the end of the year ( fully finnished ) atm clomninch has been done but the rest of it is kinda slow .

according to eircom though the exchanges are not updated . im supposed to be phoned by eircom once my line pass's but im phoning them once a week now to find out if its ready . ( dont trust them one bit ) according to the ndp graph most of tullamore will be finished according by schedule end of aug and 100% done by feb 2004 .

athlone was sent out letters a while back .. with a phonenumber u can ring to find out about bb in offaly/midlands but like so much in ireland its a answering machine and it promises to ring you once they get the message . ive been waiting on that phonecall back for about a week now so i wouldnt count on any of there facts ... instead if ur living outside of a town ( tullamore , birr , edenderry , killeigh , mucklagh ) afaik ull get bb some time late 2004 according to the website .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Elexes, I didn't see Clonminch on Seamus's list, is it a different exchange to the Tullamore Exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Rang Eircon 3 days in a row now and I keep getting the same answer. Moate Exchange will not be upgraded withen the next 6 months and nobody in Eircon knows anything about Wireless BB or who provides it. Christ this is frustrating. I get a 14,400 Modem and a 28.800 comes out but I cant avail of it. Then I eventually get a 28,800 Modem and 56k Modem comes out that i cant avail of. Then eventually I get a 56k Modem and ISDN comes out and so on. Now im on ISDN and cant get BB :( only another 4 or 5 years to wait. Aww hell I'll breeze through it :rolleyes:

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

FYI: I've done a bit of searching on Wireless BB offerings in Co. Offaly.

WBN
    Wireless offering around Tullamore.
    http://www.wbn.ie/
    Doster
    Base station in Tullamore with radius of 3 miles. Looking at Birr and other places. Wants to set up midlands wireless n/w
    http://www.dotser.ie/
    Last Mile Wireless
    Base station in Athlone. Recently received funding from BMW assembly to set up wireless hot-spots in Ballinlough Co. Roscommon & Ballyhaunis Co. Mayo.
    Last Mile have carried out extensive tests throughout Co Offaly and the midlands and plan to deploy a network linking all the main towns with broadband wireless links. Their main target towns are Tullamore, Birr, Edenderry, Ferbane, Clara and Banagher. Internet services will be offered in a number of these locations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭fabien

I know its not in Offaly, it's on the Tipp side of the border...but any word on Broadband for Roscrea?
    Would it be in range if Birr got wireless access?

(I think Birr is about 12 miles from Roscrea)

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

clomninch is a part of tullamore its a rd . and its not in the list that seamus posted as i said its on the ndp website as is the list of expected times for bb availibity times.

i know the lads that do wbn and i dont think ud be very happy with there connections if its like what they used to offer in other area's the price is a bit off also . but ya never know its been a while since i talked to kieth but if his partner is still john fullem ( 3 of his last 4 business's have gone out of business in less then 4 years of him joinin )

Last Mile Wireless in the other hand ive talked to the guys in charge of this company and if they ever get going ( i hope they do cause it dose sound very promising and they do have the backing afaik )id sign up for it in a second . but they did say to me that they would not be offering unlimited bandwith and would not expect ppl to dl more then 2-400 megs per day bit of a downside but if they do get athlone - tullamore - mullingar networked wireless ill sign up just so i can use the laptop on the net on the train home .

Advertisement