Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed with win2k registry

Options
  • 22-07-2003 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'd appreciate help from anyone who has run into this before. Basically on boot, it says:

Registry File Failure-The Registry cannot load the( hive) file /System Root/ System 32/Config/Security or its log or alternate.It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.-

Is there a reasonably easy method of resetting the registry, or would the easiest method be to install over the existing installation? I don't have access to the machine, its 5000 miles away, and the users are non-technical. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Apologies - just basic suggestions

If the partition is FAT and they have a win98 CD you could get them to run scandisk etc... (as if that would fix anything...)

Do you have repair disk or CMDCONS - ie option to boot to a command console - can they get in on last known good boot or any of the F8 options..

I take it they have the Win2K CD (or you could be off to a flying stop)

If they can get as far as the C: prompt then in there should be a foldr called repair in the \windows or \winnt folder - check the files there - I don't know if you could copy files from here to the one in \windows\system32\config or even if it is worth doing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

If you have a backup of the system state, boot into safe mode and do a system state recovery from the built in windows backup. I had a server with the exact same error, but since the system state holds a backup of the registry, it solved the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

oh, and make sure you boot partition is not full (ie, less than 10MB's of space left), as this was the cause of my problem which left the registry f*cked

Advertisement