Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth meter

Options
  • 22-07-2003 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

hi everyone,

you might find this useful to measure your bandwidth

http://speedtest.dewa.com/

have a go, see who is getting the best downloads!!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

437.7kbps
    retry -> 444.6kbps
    retry -> 443.2kbps
    retry -> 442.7kbps
    with €ircon i-stream
    However I don't think these are the most acurate tests

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

www.bandwidthplace.com

seems to be best one ive come across

bandwidthplace.com:-
    speed 412.7kbps
    1MB downloads in 20.3seconds
    Rating: your download speed is great
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

129kps....hm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

1MB file in 2.5 mins?? this is supposed to be broadband, dammit !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

29.8 kilobits per second WOW broadband truely rocks! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

1 meg file would d/l in 5 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

The best way to measure your bandwidth in Ireland is to go to somewhere like ftp.esat.net and download a file:

http://ftp.esat.net/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso

Your connection will probably be much higher to ftp.esat.net than it would be to a server in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

tryed that and it started well 44kbs but started droping right way and droped down to 14kbs would have droped down more but i got sick of it

Originally posted by Ro
    The best way to measure your bandwidth in Ireland is to go to somewhere like ftp.esat.net and download a file:
    but your connection to esat would only be direct as you suggest if you are with esat - doesn't the nature of the www network mean that to get info from 1 computer to another could involve many others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

It does but Esat peer with most other ISPs through the INEX so more than likely your connection to the server will be fairly direct.

(Type tracert ftp.esat.net at a dos prompt and you'll see which way you connect)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Your raw speed was 445.20 kbps which is the same as :

The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed is 19.7 seconds.

Your connection is "Great"

IOL BB...Not bad...ive had better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

I find the best way to test your connection is to use Dumeter, and see what speed you get. For instance, when I'd downloading stuff, windows see's the download as being 51KBps, but looking at dumeter, I'm getting 53...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

According to Du meter i download at 90kbps sometimes so i dont believe it...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

ooooOOOoo my work connection if fast :)

1450.8 kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just thought Id let you know how my connection fj33rd out :)

Bare in mind im in the college and a rake of people are surfing on the 3000 + network well here goes

http://speedtest.dewa.com
    Your raw speed was 58.51 Mbps

which is the same as :

which means you can download at 7.31 MB/sec. from our servers. How communication devices are rated.
    Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

51.98 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds.
    Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

19.7 seconds.
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

from

ttp://www.bandwidthplace.com
    Your raw speed was 850259.05 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

850.3 kilobits per second
    How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

103.8 kilobytes per second
    The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

9.9 seconds
    The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

I dont know how accurate these are all i know is that if I was downloading from lets say microsoft.com I can activly get 2/3 megs a sec sometimes starting off at 6 megs a sec and dropping down just thought Id give you an indication of what im on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Your raw speed was 8.19 Mbps

Not to bad I reckon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭redneck

28.8 kbps dial-up
    33.6 kbps dial-up
    53.3 kbps dial-up
    56 kbps ISDN
    128 kbps ISDN
    384 kbps DSL
    591.3 kbps YOU :D
    768 kbps DSL
    1000 kbps DSL
    1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

I'm with NTL BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

the most acurate one is downloading an ISO off esat or HEANET i was getting a download speed of 50KBps from america and 400KBps off esat, bit of a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

28.8 kbps dial-up
    33.6 kbps dial-up
    38.1 kbps YOU <
    53.3 kbps dial-up
    56 kbps ISDN
    128 kbps ISDN
    384 kbps DSL
    768 kbps DSL
    1000 kbps DSL
    1500 kbps DSL/T1/Cable Modem

: Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours
    is great :D...

on my 56k (52k possible) connected at 44k :P

Im still great.. eehhehhe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

Measuring ur bandwith somewhere which isn't near your location is kind of pointless imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

all these websites that test you rbandwidth are inaccurate. when i used them they gave me my speed as 250-280kbps (about 30-34kb's down) however i can usually get closer to 50 kb's down, sustained. if your using DU Meter, go to Options and choose "show average values" this will measure the ACTUAL throughput through your connection over the given averaging period, give it a few mins solid downloading to even out and whatever the average shows, is your average speed.

Advertisement