Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more advice (i should pay u lot)

• 22-07-2003 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

This might be a stupid question so bear with me

If i built a brand new pc and stuck my old hard drive with Win xp on it Would it work ? 107 euro for xp oem :( costly

secondly im after reconsidering getting a 2800xp so im dumping that one and getting the 2500xp barton its 100 euro cheaper
    How much of a power loss am i getting by doing that ?
    I though to my self that 100 euro for bearly 200mhz extra isnt a good buy

Thirdly would the 360 watt psu that comes with the Chieftec Dragon BigTower be big anuff to power

2500xp barton + the fan that comes with it
    asus a7n8x motherboard
    512meg of corsaire pc 2700 ddr ram
    Cd rom 52 speed
    floppy drive
    60 gig hard drive (or maybe i might get a 120 gig their cheap out)
    3 case fans
    and a Geforce 5200 128meg (or radion 9700 depending on funds)

Thanks again lads :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

well the minimum power req for the 9700 is 350w so you'd want to be looking at 450w for all that....but it depends on the quality of the psu aswell.

and if you stick in the old harddrive with xp on it it should work grand (unless xp has some horrible thingy in it that wont work in this situation....but i doubt that)

as for the processor i wouldnt say you'd notice a whole lot of difference between the 2500 and 2800, however considering its a barton im not sure.....but i'd say stick with the 2500 anyway...

that'll be €96.70 please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

You're not loosing much in the processor change over, tis just right :) Power Supply should be fine for the items you're connecting, i've a lot more items connected than that running off a 300 watt psu. I believe windows xp allows only so many changes, I would suggest a clean install of the os to allow for the entire new machine, but it might work, give it a try, can't do any harm.

id still say play it safe and get a bigger psu - komplett do a 450w one for €40 or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

thanks lads

i guess i better but the devils XP os so ...... ah well its only 107 quid for the OEM ........... which i asume its the same thing just with out a manule or warrent (eh all you have to do it put it in the drive and follow what it says)

is it hard to put in a new psu ?
    that'll be €96.70 please

OH ya give me a second and ill get my wallet "bizmark leg,s it down the road"

nah tis simple to put in a new psu, unscrew a couple of screws, remove the power supply, put in the new power supply, put the screws back in, and a presto, new power supply.

hehe, devils os

cool sig spike.

• Advertisement

*shake's fist as bizmark runs away*

i know where you live!!

and er after you put it in, don't forget to plug everythin back up together so if you're not sure make a mental note where everythin goes before you take the old one out.

ta leggo :)

i know where you live!!

Ah fiddel sticks :eek: lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

XP will want to be re-activated after all those hardware changes. You will have to make sure the HD with XP on it is set as the master. I take it from the tone of your thread you no longer have an XP disc, so before you do anything download the Windows XP recovery floppy discs (six of em). That way if it won't boot you can get to the recovery console to try and fix it. Once/if you get it to boot you can google for an app to bypass windows activation, which I won't name here for fear of a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Just as a by the way, id recomend you get an Abit NF7-S over the Asus A7N8X. Have both boards and the Abit is by far the better & has SATA & Surround sound support (Asus is suppose to but doesent deliver) .

If your thinkin of getting a budget graphics card get the Ti4200 over the Fx5200 , Have a look at the benchmarks and you will see why.

One last thing make sure you have a ATX case, ie if your trying to use an old dell case - it wont fit.

If your lookin 2 save a little, TwinMos ram is excellent in my opinion & cheaper than Corsair.

i have the a7n8x deluxe and i think its the best mobo one could get - i have it hooked up to a surround sound system and its a beaut. although i havent tried/congifured the sata thing...

• Advertisement

A7N8X deluxe is a great board, was refering to the A7N8X non-deluxe (what he said in the description) . The Abit NF7 is a nice bit cheaper than the Deluxe and is such a great board.

The deluxe has SATA & absolutly no probs with surround sound.

ah right....i apologize

No probs, should have got the feckin deluxe or NF7 in the first place !!

well 40 euro extra for the delux model wont break the bank

I am getting a brand new Big tower atx case
    I am going to buy Win xp oem might as well in case anything goes t*ts up and be waiting on my friend from madens to "loan" me a copy of win xp for the night

Anyway other than the better sound of the deluxe what extra advanages are their ?

Think the deluxe is a good choice, it also is guarenteed to take the new 400mhz FSB chips (although the revision 2 boards will be the same). It also have 1394 (firewire) which is nice. It is also better for overclocking AFAIK.

Could one of you please point me to the right anti static stuff i would need ?

i really dont know what to buy from the komplett site
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=5261&t=1904&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=40&GrpID=28&s=pl

what about 2 of them ?

rofl. em... a radiator is all ya need hehe. unless you're highly static you won't need that stuff. earth yourself by touching something that is earthed, example, touch a radiator (preferably one that doesn't have paint covering the metal on the radiator) touching the power supply (note: have it plugged in, but don't power anything up, the power supply is earthed and if you have any static built up, it will discharge it). imo i'd get an anti-static wrist thingy, if the static is gonna discharge from anywhere it's gonna be from your hands, therefore the closer to you hands the better. have yet to break anything by using my methods.

Dont think the wrist strap is all that important, just touch the sink or radiatior like leggo said. I normally rub the antistatic bag on my hands aswell - just to make sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You won't need a static strap if all you're doing is replacing a PSU. Follow the lads' previous anti-static advice on the thread, except Leggo's of "have it plugged in, but don't power anything up". ATX PSUs constantly supply power to the motherboard when plugged in, make sure you either have the PSU unplugged or don't have the molex P1 connector connected to the motherboard. Otherwise you'll have an easy way to fry chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

If you csnt afford a 9700 get FX5600 or a 9500 but dont get a FX5200 its the MX of the series and to be avoided if you have the funds.

I'm running 1 80gig SATA drive and I'm getting another next month. SATA = fast, really, really fast. Load times with 512megs of 2700 ddr = nothing, cant wait to get another 512 and kill the pagefile :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

turn the plug upside down so its earthed but not powered :)

i got a 300w psu for my xp2000 and 9700 pro. Can handle it but i got a good brand. Get a good brand 350w or a not so good brand 450w and you'll be alright

If you cant turn the plug upside down (never thought of doing it that way - makes sence) then take out the fuse, live will be disconected but your earth will still be there. Dont have the live connected or your asking for trouble.

:D im building a pc lad,s not replaceing a psu (alone) so im pritty sure i might need some type of anti static the idea of frying the 130 euro of memory isnt nice

The psu i,d be useing is the 360w one that comes with the Big tower dragon range from Chieftec

as for the Fx 5200 im pretty sure it would be a feck load better than the Gefroce 2 mx 32meg Pci card i have now.I dont have money to blow on all the best stuff some im getting the best case/amd/motherboard/ram i can so upgradeing at a later date will be easy

I have set my mind on the following

Chieftec Dragon Big tower (its huge!)
    Asus A7n8x Deluxe
    2500xp barton
    512 meg Corsair CMX512-3200C 2XMS3202 v1.1
    a floppy drive and Cd rom (no need to know the name of those)
    Fx 5200 128meg agp 8X
    Window.s xp Oem
    :cool:

I might buy a 60 gig hard drive to go with the 60 gig one i have in this pc

Im after giveing up the idea of buying a pc i can get far better by building it myself + the asus a7n8x makes it pritty easy to set up the cpu etc

looks like a nice system good luck with it

only thing id whine about is xp....but i hate all ms operating systems...
    *covers win2k pro box with tea cloth*

id like to avoid MS xp to but its just not possible currently

Advertisement