Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sale in Peats?

• 22-07-2003 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Heard the ad on the radio for the sale in Peats over the last week or two, they are moving house,,,

Has anyone been down there?? Is there any really good bargains or is it just a crappy 10% off sale?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i got a Creative 3DBlaster GeForce4 Ti4800 128MB
    for 259 euro

its 252.49 including p&p on komplett and i did not have to wait for it to be posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

The Creative 3DBlaster GeForce4 Ti4800 128MB is €229.00 inc VAT & Shipping BTW from Creatives online store.

http://ie.europe.creative.com

They generally have pretty good prices on their own site and they courier everything so it comes quite quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

anyone who thought they were going to get a bargain in Peats was a real optimist
    ollie

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Originally posted by iisollie
    anyone who thought they were going to get a bargain in Peats was a real optimist
    ollie

Agreed :rolleyes: thats why I was asking,, and STeM's post proves it..

Oooh get down to Peats now, its the most unbelievable sale... pah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

I have ben down there having a look and as i expected you would only get a good deal if you were going to buy a 50" plasma or something similar.....really hard to know if u get a good deal or not, would be a lot easier if you wrote down all prices and went for a trip to Dixon.

Good deal in Peats really just mean you get it at almost the same price as any other shop would have it for!

Example was a optical to phono converter in Peats was almost 30 euro out of the box and then i would have to buy a PSU also, went down to Maplin and found the exact same product only Maplin had left the PSU in the box and only charged me 25 euro, what a ripoff Peats!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Q. How much was the 50" Plasma TV??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

But its family run ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I went down and as usual Peats (even with their sale) are a lot more expensive than anywhere else.
    I don't even know why i went down when i knew this would happen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Agreed . I went in on Saturday looking fro a Sony home theatre Kik and found that it was €100 dearer than Dixons . When I asked the assistant about the price he just shrugged his shoulders and sait it was nearly €250 off the regular price ..

No wonder they can afford a nice shiny new shop .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

Peats were looking for 700 euros for the Sony Home Cinema system I bought for 500 inculding delivery from Techtronics.com in the uk

Avoid like the plague!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭xen

More of a rip off than a sale there bose stuff stuff is expensive as well and the speakers i was looking at was in a state as well!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"The pirates of Parnell st." - for more years than I care to remember :)

They ain't cheap - but if you gotta recomend somewhere to a complete novice they ain't bad - you might not get bargins - but at least you won't get shafted by a boxshifter on comission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    "... but at least you won't get shafted by a boxshifter on comission

True. Most of their staff are far too lazy to get off their arses and shaft anyone.

The "Sale" is rubbish. Spent 30 minutes there and couldn't find anything that resembled a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The only bargain I seen was the high-end (read: top-rated) Belkin surge protector (4-gang) for 20 euro.. I picked up two.. they're pretty damn good and cut interference between the connected appliances a good deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

have their prices been reduced on their website??? i'm looking to buy the clear pc case.... it looks class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I was very curious when I heard on the ad that they are moving to new premises across the road and consequently they have to sell off everything for half nothing (or so the tone of the ad goes).

Why don't they just take the stuff across the road with them when they move?

Apart from people emigrating you don't see many ads for people selling a house load of gear because they're moving!

I just don't understand, me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The closing sale has ended now they've moved across the street, they're having an opening sale now....or so their window display says. I didn't see much on sale though :'( wasted trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I got a 120gb IBM HDD in peats a few weeks ago for €135, the sticker price was €199 not sure if this was a special offer or a mistake but I didn't ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Went in when I first heard the ad. The enthusiasm of the guy in the ad did not match mine when I got there. Nor did the "fantastic savings". It was only the really expensive stuff that was reduced, and even then only by a few €uro. :( Haven't been into the new store yet. The builiding looks rather impressive. Somehow I don't think they'll change their prices in a favourable direction >:(

It is what it's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Anyone know what the "old" peats is gonna be now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I went in to the new store today with a friend who had a couple of hundred euro in bonus bonds and wanted to use them towards a PC.
    The new shop is about half the size of the old one and has sweet fcuk all in it, PC wise.The whole store is about the size of the ground floor of the old place. The only PC systems they seem to sell are Sony Vaios priced from €1600 upwards. As anybody who knows Peats knows you will NOT build a PC yourself at a reasonable price with their prices. Over €100 for a Q-tech 350w PSU for example!
    The mind boggles. One can only assume they got an offer they couldn't refuse for the old building and decided to rent the new place for a few years until they got tired of ripping people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    Anyone know what the "old" peats is gonna be now?

Good question, a mate of mine was saying they own the land behind it that's used for the crummy car park, I suppose if they could knock down the peats building they could put a new ghetto in there:ninja:

Advertisement