Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication Between UTV & Here.....

Options
  • 22-07-2003 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Is it my imagination or has the communication between UTV and the outside world stopped . I know they are under pressure with the new products , but one of the reasons so many ppl went over to UTV was they way they interacted with the customers . Now it seems that when the heat is on they dissapear , now when we need info and updates most.

I signed up for their BB service on the 4th of july , now I know alot of others are waiting longer than me , but so far all I have recieved is the e-mails telling me that that my money has been taken and my line has passed the first test....that was 2 weeks ago and absolutely nothing since . I posted on their support newsgroup asking for an update on the lead time , and nothing , no response , I e-mailed them the other day and got a mail back saying they got mine and i would hear back from them ?.

If anyone can show me a thread where they have said anything concrete , or even recently posted anything , then plz do.

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

They responded only today to a query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

jonski,

Have you considered that perhaps you are being just a little impatient?.. Quote: " I e-mailed them the other day and got a mail back!" you neglected too state how quickly you received a response from them.

My experience in dealing with UTV both on this forum and directly through their Southern Ireland - Support service: Tel:- 1890-926111 between 9.00am & 9.00pm has been a real pleasure in comparison to the - hell* - that Eircom* and their damn rat put through.

Try giving UTV Internet a real life person to person telephone call , just my2cs worth.

All the best.

Paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jon,

They are a bit slower at the moment. I send a mail yesterday and it took them a whole day to respond, which is slow for them but lightning fast compared to their competition. And considering it was a query about discontinueing their Internet connection service the response was courteous and very helpfull.

(btw I am not discontinueing because of bad service from UTV. I want broadbannd and my line has failed the DSL test and I'm awaiting a LOS test from IBB. If I pass that then Eircon can kiss the line rental from my ISDN goodbye and I get 512K duplex and save money on what I'm paying now. I'll send a full letter to UTV explaining why I cancelled so they can present it to Comreg as an example of them losing business because of Eircoms tardyness.)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    They responded only today to a query.

any idea what thread that was on ? , i thought i read all of them ,obviously not .

John.

Originally posted by Paddy20
    jonski,

Have you considered that perhaps you are being just a little impatient?.. Quote: " I e-mailed them the other day and got a mail back!" you neglected too state how quickly you received a response from them.

>> the response back was just to say they got my mail , no actual info in it , auto generated. And as for me being impatient , I was talking about the lack of info , not saying " I want my BB and I want it now ".

My experience in dealing with UTV both on this forum and directly through their Southern Ireland - Support service: Tel:- 1890-926111 between 9.00am & 9.00pm has been a real pleasure in comparison to the - hell* - that Eircom* and their damn rat put through.
    >> My own experience has been nothing short of fantastic , until now . All I was askin was what was the lead time as it doesn't apear to be the same as FAQ on their site.

Try giving UTV Internet a real life person to person telephone call , just my2cs worth.

>> gonna call them now :)
    All the best.

Paddy20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Is it my imagination or has the communication between UTV and the outside world stopped .

Its your imagination:p

Its incredible that they even participate here...what other company would do it??? - and i for one, dont want that to stop. I find it much better to get a heads up from them via the boards than having contact with customer support ...dont get me wrong, i know their customer support is well regarded...but i just have an allergy to picking up the phone and contacting ANY customer support dept...so lets not be pissing them off for their lack of communication here ..when thats clearly not the case

Latest boards input from UTV here

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Its your imagination:p

[/URL]

Excellent , thanks for the link , I had not bothered reading that thread cause I didnt want to get into what was happening with the xl product . But still a word on the BB package wouldn't go astray .

Anyways , I phoned them and I have to ring the girl again tomorrow and she might have some info for me.

John.

Well I made the phone call , and guess what , I'm not on the current list that they received yesterday ( so alot of ye are in for a good time this weekend ) , so , given that I wasn't on the list they don't know when I will be connected . maybe this week , maybe next week , and then again maybe not . This is what I was told.

John.:(

John,

I am glad you made the call. Did you get the name of the person you are dealing with?.. very important.

Now, I am not sure exactly what type of service you have applied to UTV Internet for!, but may I suggest you call support again and ask them how you can get in touch by phone urgently with - Martin Lyons. He has posted on this forum quite a number of times answering queries of a technical nature for and on behalf of UTV Internet!.

Sounds to me as though you are owed an apology from someone!! and I for one am genuinely shocked at how you are being treated. I suppose all Companies have the odd numbskull working for them and in your case it seems as though youjust may have been unlucky enough to have drawn the short straw.

I became suspicious, when in your post stating that you had telephoned UTV Support and had been told that YOU would have to ring them back!. In my experience it is their policy for them to ring back their customer at their expense and not the other way around, which is what has happened to you.

Clearly, their is a lack of communication here, and Martin Lyons would I believe be a good place to start getting straight answers.

Good luck and keep us up to date on any progress.

Paddy20.

TBH with you Paddy20 , all I am looking for is a realistic lead time .
    I am one of those ppl that would prefer to be told i will have it in 6 weeks and get it in 6 weeks than be told you will have it in 3 and get it in 5 . If I was told that I wouldn't go looking for it till near the end of week 6 .

oh and btw its the clicksilver product i'm after.

And also I don't think it is the fault of the person answering the phone , he seemed to genuinely not know .

John.

PS: I don't mean for this to be a pissing and moaning thread , just a bit dissapointed that Martin/Scott haven't made any comment recently on whats happening with clicksilver.

• Advertisement

John,

I did not even know that Clicksilver was available in the Republic.
    I was under the impression that Clicksilver is a Broadband product available too the business sector in another part of this fair isle?.. Must have another look at the UTV Internet, ROI packages, which I thought was only 2, UTVxl Lite, 30 hours per month @ €9.99c per Month or UTVXL, 180 hours @ €24.95c per Month!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

John,

I did not even know that Clicksilver was available in the Republic.
    I was under the impression that Clicksilver is a Broadband product available too the business sector in another part of this fair isle?
    It is available everywhere that Eircom's RADSL is available. Unlike the various dial-up packages, it is a true 24/7 product. You can only download 5 gigs a month, but this is unlikely to be a problem if you currently use the internet for web browsing and the occasional download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

TBH with you Paddy20 , all I am looking for is a realistic lead time
    John, if we had a definate lead time that we could hand out, believe me we would be emailing it to our customers. In reality we have to jump through a few hoops with a customer (exchange DSL enabled, line test passed, move to order status etc etc.) before we receive any sort of indication that BB is going to be installed. We are pushing to reduce the lead times and also to try and get indicative dates so that this info can be passed back to the customer.

I would have hoped to have more info for you in this post had your name been Maximillian or Ignaceous, but "John" doesn't help me track you down in our records ;) Email me (martin@u.tv) and I'll see what I can come up with, but it could be we just don't have any more info on your order other than it has been submitted :(

John,

Well I learn something new everyday. Thanks Skepticone* I must check out this UTV Broadband Clicksilver package offering in more detail!.

Back to Johns problem. Nice to see that Martin Lyons of U.TV has replied publicly on this thread to you. You should e-mail all details regarding your order for Clicksilver to him i.e. Order Ref Number etc. etc.

Personally, it would not surprise me if the notorious Rats blocking tactics against competition has something to do with what now appears to be very mysterious.

Anyway, good luck and I hope you will feel better after contacting Martin - UTVi.

Paddy20;)

Thanks alot Martin ,

As I said I didn't want to turn this into a pissing and moaning thread , I just felt that someone from UTV should have made some comment on the current state of affairs .

I didn't realistically expect to be connected this week having read some of the other threads , but I was really clueless as to what was happening and reading alot of posts here and on the newsgroup from ppl in the same position.

If you could keep us updated with any new info that would be great and keep us off your and your supports back :) .Maybe a post when ye get back that sheet from eircom saying who will be activated this week .

As for my full name , John Stapleton .

Thanks again

John.

John,

I became suspicious, when in your post stating that you had telephoned UTV Support and had been told that YOU would have to ring them back!. In my experience it is their policy for them to ring back their customer at their expense and not the other way around, which is what has happened to you.

Paddy20.

Update , well as ye can all imagine , Jonski is finally getting impatient , even though i promised myself not to because I know its not gonna get me anywhere .

phoned today at 3:45 , told that my a/c had no new info but said they would phone me back in 5 mins (was going to phone someone that would have more info ), went back to work at 4:10 , told herself to take a msg , came home at 6:15 , no msg . phoned again , the utv person checked my a/c again , no sorry we have no more information on your a/c , maybe if you phone tomorrow we are expecting new info then , hung up , dejected ,went back to using my old utvip a/c ( didn't change over to new XL a/c cause I thought I would be well setup by now , so no daytime surfing , still only 150 hours and still paying extra ).

Update complete , hopefully a more positive post tomorrow , fingers , toes arms and legs crossed .

John.

Originally posted by jonski
    Update complete , hopefully a more positive post tomorrow , fingers , toes arms and legs crossed .

John.

Its tomorrow already , and its negative .

" please phone us again tomorrow we might have some news then "

Sorry but it is becomming a pissing and moaning thread

John.

Paddy20.

no progress:confused:

"please phone us again on monday "we MIGHT have some news then"

John.

jonski,

Me still smells a Rat?.. Listen Eircom, I am going to insist that John calls in the late - James Cagney, to deal with your [Dirty Rat]?..

John, just a little more patience is required here!.

Be lucky & I understand your frustration.

Paddy20.:confused:

I know Paddy , I was just really cross when I came home saw post from someone that got it in 15 days .And now heading into another month of ****e 56k pings . There was me thinking my utv loyalty and the fact that I stayed away from the new Xl product to save what I thought was going to be unnessasary work , would have at least put me on a level par with others ordering .
    Living in my fairytale world again. silly boy .

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

here is what you do

1. get up off what ever it is your sitting on
    2. reach for telephone and dal utv interents phone number

if you dont know the number dial 11850 and they will give it to you

3. talk to their customer care people they wont bite you

Its hardly surprising that they dont reply to your email straight away they probably get hundreds of them a day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by fcddunne
    Its hardly surprising that they dont reply to your email straight away they probably get hundreds of them a day.
    I haven't read the rest of this thread, but: This isn't a valid excuse, particularly for an Internet company. The turnaround time on an email should be 12-24 hours absolute maximum. Anything over that isn't just bad business, it's bad /for/ business.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I haven't read the rest of this thread, but: This isn't a valid excuse, particularly for an Internet company. The turnaround time on an email should be 12-24 hours absolute maximum. Anything over that isn't just bad business, it's bad /for/ business.

adam

UTVi are a very small company...i know, i've met them! And I think support is down 2 staff members so they're really swamped...they're doing the best they can...generally if you post on utv.support you'll get a reply within a few hrs (on a weekday anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by eth0_
    UTVi are a very small company...i know, i've met them! And I think support is down 2 staff members so they're really swamped...they're doing the best they can...generally if you post on utv.support you'll get a reply within a few hrs (on a weekday anyway)
    As Adam could again point out, the number of CS staff is irrelevant. Adobe made a major mistake like this in the 80s (forgetting all about after-sales service, though happily they're still with us). Whether there are 2 or 2000 CS staff is irrelevant to the guy at the other end with a problem. This applies to any company but especially to Internet companies.

Originally posted by fcddunne
    here is what you do

1. get up off what ever it is your sitting on
    2. reach for telephone and dal utv interents phone number

if you dont know the number dial 11850 and they will give it to you

3. talk to their customer care people they wont bite you

If you read the rest of this thread you would see that my fingers are worn down from phoning UTV . always the same , "phone back tomorrow" . I know they have no control over this but I'm pissed off , how can one guy that signed up be done in less than 15 days and i'm waiting over a month .Isnt it up to UTV to do something about this . Take it to whoever they have to to get their lead times sorted to something more reasonable.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by jonski
    Take it to whoever they have to to get their lead times sorted to something more reasonable.

I'm sure they're not sitting on their laurels! Do you think they like having support staff tied up telling people 'eh I have no information for you, call back tomorrow'. I can understand why they aren't calling customers back....there's probably rafts of people backlogged for dsl installs!

utv.support is definitely the quickest way of getting answers tho.

Originally posted by eth0_

utv.support is definitely the quickest way of getting answers tho.

without a shadow of a doubt , and very helpful they are there too , and not just with their own products but with any tech support problems u have , and this is the sole reason why I waited for and am still waiting UTV clicksilver.

But they can't get me adsl any faster , it seems no one can.

John.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

eth0_ sweety, I'm not blaming anyone. I've never met the lads and lasses in UTVi, but I've dealt with them and watched them here and I think they're doing a great job. I wasn't calling their commitment or abilities in question, I'm just saying that, basically: If support emails aren't being turned around in 24 hours at the very most, something's wrong. In this case, I think that if what you say is true, and I've no reason to doubt you, then the support section is understaffed; but I think this is /caused/ by more complex underlying issues that need to be addressed. I also think that if anyone is qualified to sort it out, it's UTVi. And I hope they do, because it's quite likely I'll be shifting back to them for dialup shortly, after a brief foray into broadband. But that's a whole other story...

adam

K , where to start ?

Tuesday the 5th of august and still no word on my clicksilver a/c being activated .32 days now .

But this complicates matters , got a call to the door today from an eircom guy , in charge of the a/c's in my area . 'winback call' I believe its called . Well I explained that I wouldn't be going back to eircom as I have been quiet happy with UTv for the last year now , and that I had signed up for their BB , but hadn't recieved it yet as eircom were holding the whole thing up by not activating my line. This guy , a bit taken aback , there and then phoned the ppl in eircom that look after line activation . They told him that my line HAD been activated awhile ago . So when I got home from work I phoned UTV straight away but was told that they still had no news on my a/c . I told the guy what had happened earlier on today and he said that there was nothing showing to to say that my line was activated , I told him I had been in contact with Martin Lyons and he suggested that I e-mail him again tonight with my story . So I have e-mailed him and I await his reply .

Will keep ye posted ,
    John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Jonski, thats more or less the same story as myself only I was waiting 7 weeks to get DSL. I believe my account was activated for a while before €ircom told UTVi that it was. Exactly how long I don't know but I know it was over two weeks.

If you login to your €ircom accout on www.eircom.ie it should tell you that it has been activated.

512/128 UBRIP BA should appear under "Services".

Advertisement