Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to get into the electronica scene

• 22-07-2003 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi, my name is Paddy and I'm trying to get into the electronica scene. I play bass, but it would appear that no-one's interested in having an electric bass player for an electronic project. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

define electronica??? the best way to get into any scene is to go to the nights and meet people.... if youre into drum and bass i know dirty sanchez, or the band formerly known as dirty sanchez, are looking for a bass player they do live instrumental covers of drum and bass tunes.... [i put up a thread in their behalf on musician page] failing that do what squarepusher did and make your own tunes and play bass alongside them in a live environment... get yourself sorted for copies of cubase soundforge and reason and go and be creative.... go up to bodkins on dorset streeet to the night decal run, afaik there was a sunday laptop/instrument jam upstairs in teh international for a good long while.... look out for the frontend synthetics crew's sporadic electronica nights, or just look for likeminded individuals.... trty putting up ads in the dj record shops [not abbey discs because thats only for small children] and good luck.... but without you telling me what youre into theres bugger all i can do for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Buddhapadge

Hey man, I appreciate your help with all this. I suppose I would define electronica as being intelligent music composed and performed mainly with electronic instruments. I know Dirty Sanchez – or rather I should say I know their bass player and their drummer. They aren’t really what I’m looking for. They seem a bit jazzy for my tastes. And although I can play, I probably wouldn’t be up to their level. I’ve only been at it seven years, you know? I suppose my influences would be stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada, Depeche Mode, DJ Shadow, Four Tet, Jamiroquai, Massive Attack, the Police, Portishead, Squarepusher, and Tricky amongst others. The rest of my CDs would be more rock kind of stuff – that’s what my full time band play. But I’m sick of just playing that kind of thing. Overall I’d be happy just recording some bass on people’s projects. I don’t really care where they’re based, my gear is fairly portable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

righty ho... your best bet is probably that laptop jam type thingy in the international... if its still going its probably the only time and place where youre likely to find a significant amount of hands on electronica type people in one small intimate setting... going out and networking is prob the best thing to do id say....
    and if you see colin or colm [although i think hes off travelling] telll them i say hello and im on my way back to ireland as of next week!

Advertisement