Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Pay later??

• 22-07-2003 7:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I'm staying with Vodafone for a while later but I was thinking of signing up with Meteor as well there very cheap. You might ask why not just go with Meteor well they don't have coverage in my home area so I wouldn't be able to use it when I go home at the weekends.

Anyway I was just wondering if someone could answer the following questions for me?

1. What is the minimum contract you can sign up to with Meteor pay later?

2. Can you swap to meteor pay as you go while in this contract?

3. Can you call any number in ireland at any time with the free call minutes?

4. Could I have the phone I get from meteor unlocked and use my vodafone sim card in it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

1- check meteor.ie, but i think its 1 year for Meteor Minutes, and no minimum contract for the "no rental" option.

2-Presumably you cant while on meteor minutes, but can on the other one, again,. i'd check with meteor if i were you.

3- I'm no use here, i imagine it'd be ok for other Meteor numbers and standard landlines, but not for cross-network calls.

4- last i heard you had to be a customer 6 months and pay €15, but this may have changed, alternately, jsut get it unlocked for €15 in a small independent phone shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The answer to 3 is yes - and the UK.

I understand your reservations about the coverage. My current solution is an unlocked Nokia with a special two SIM back cover (can be purchased very cheaply from a number of suppliers on ebay). A PAYG Vodafone Sim sits alongside my Pay Later Meteor Sim in this assembly. When I go out of coverage (for example, in the basement of a pub) then I switch off and on the phone and it switches to Vodafone. Of course, you need to make sure that your contacts know your alternative number when you're out of range.

For me, Meteor works out much cheaper than the other operators. Overseas calls tend to work out cheaper than landline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The two SIM back covers - is it hard to remove the exising Sim cover?

Are these available for most phones?

Meteor is very good value. The coverage is pretty good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's easy to change the covers. The two-sim cover is a little larger as it contains a piece of circuitry to enable the switching. I got mine for a Nokia 8210 but I know they're available for others. It was around 6 sterling. I just got a €20 sim with €20 free credit from Vodafone, so it doesn't cost anything really for that.

Meteor is great value for money, but contrary to what their recent advertising campaign suggest, the coverage is not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Meteor responded to an e-mail I sent there reply was:

Thank you for your email and your interest in Meteor Mobile. With Meteor,
    the minimum monthly contract is our 75 Minutes plan which costs EUR25 a
    month. With this package you will receive 75 minutes and 75 text messages
    which can be sent to any network in Ireland.

If you are in contract and you decide to change your plan to Pay As You Go
    you will be subject to contract penalties. With your 75 minutes you can
    call any Irish landline or mobile number.

If Meteor does not offer coverage in your home town I would not recommend
    you become a Meteor customer at this time. If you wish you can forward me
    information regarding your home town and I can advise as to when Meteor may
    have coverage here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by Tazz T
    It's easy to change the covers. The two-sim cover is a little larger as it contains a piece of circuitry to enable the switching. I got mine for a Nokia 8210 but I know they're available for others.

But - how can you swith between networks? Is it done by simply the network selection botton on the phone?

A dual sim card would really cut down on call costs:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

turning the phone off and on again switches network/sim card

Advertisement