Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any guitar tips...

Options
  • 22-07-2003 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

i just started teaching myself guitar.. n e suggestions to help me...anything at all....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Learn wonderwall, enter the sandman and the mission impossible riff and then go into guitar shops and play all three until asked to leave.

Failing that practice practice practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

After 3 years of trying to learn myself i learned one valuble less.. there are more then just 4 strings on a gutair..... oh if only i had known that 3 years ago.....

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

dam i'm stupid.. i was llooking at old notes of my bro's & read the dam cord things upside down, so i can play 4 cords upsode down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Grim_Reaper

Learn anything and everything you can, no matter what music you like to listen to or play. If you are able to play good music pieces then you should be able to play anything. I am currently learning Cavatina (I'm not sure of the spelling), from The Deer Hunters, my guitar teacher said that if you can play this properly then you are a real guitarist. Try learning some classical, it really helps! Good luck!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

always set targets and try stuff thats harder than the stuff you learned before,and listen to as much music as possible,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Al Pinionpants

if you are learning guitar with an intention of joining a band, then here's my tip...don't! Learn to drum or play bass (no bass is not just guitar with less strings) cos there's millions of guitarists around and very few rhythm section types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭TeenStar

Try learning some classical, it really helps! Good luck!!!

This is good advice, my brother started learning classical when he was about 12/13 and he can play pretty much any kind of music now

Most Nirvana songs only have about 3 chords - that's what i used to learn when i tried to teach myself around 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by Al Pinionpants
    if you are learning guitar with an intention of joining a band, then here's my tip...don't! Learn to drum or play bass (no bass is not just guitar with less strings) cos there's millions of guitarists around and very few rhythm section types.

Good advice Al

If I ever have kids & they tell me they wanna learn guitar I'm gonna klill em. Bass or Drums are your only man. You'll always have work

:D

thanks for all the tips. i'm only learning so i can just sit down & play stuff that i want to, no intention of joinig a band..
    would any one say its worth getting guitar lessons,or can you learn enough yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Saint-dotsie

if you have friends who play dont if you have no friends do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's all up the individual and wheter to get lessons or not, and how commited you are. The internet is a great teacher!

I never got them and I have never regretted it, and I must say, I pretty much kick ass:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Grim_Reaper

"It's all up to the individual"

This is true... although, I would advise you to try lessons. You must find a good teacher though. My first guitar teacher was rubbish, but my current one knows the guitar and teach's it. Guitar is not just about playing songs, but knowing what works with what, the best/easiest/most creative way to play, how to put things together. It is good to know these in order to LEARN the guitar. Once again, good luck!;)

thanks all. i'm off to germany tomorrow for 10 days so guitar shall be put on hold. ah well..

Advertisement