Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband slower than Gbush at a mensa meeting

• 22-07-2003 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

:mad:

I have been getting from 4kbs to 8b/s (averageing 900b/s) for the last 4 days now and to say im pissed is a understatement .The pings are still good 35ms to board,s I just dont really know whats wrong.

I sent a email to esat complaning and im just wondering if anyone else is getting less than steller speed,s ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Don't email, ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but LOL @ the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

email one of the top blokes there, or their complaints officer

(phone no. of complaints officer - 1800 924 131)

DO NOT call customer services, they haven't half a brain between them all, simply, they're thick, know nothing about the service providing, and probably dont even know what a download is!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ya i have email address,s for every one of the top guys :D
    I know this has nothing to do with the thread, but LOL @ the title.

Lol i though it was good :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I've been getting the same thing. I had one download that had to resume 38 times last night, and it was only 1.4Mb in size! I've also noticed that general internet viewing has slowed down. It's beginning to get on my nerves :mad:

Si.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

Whats all this? I am waiting for my IOL connection, but if its that bad I don't want it! Is it normally good and only recently has gone bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

I have it and its perfect...full 512kbps and download at 50 and sometimes peaking up to 70(im serious) kbps...

Put it this way, ive tried making it struglle by having like 10 different windows open loading stuff and it doesnt slow...maybe im just lucky since i got the thing in the whole 12 days...i dont know...

Biz, any luck today? Did you contact anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I'd say that one of their transparent caches does not like Biz (pings bypass these devices which explains why he is getting good pings and sh1te speeds) or he may be connecting to a different proxy (what are your proxy settings Biz ? )

50Cent could be on another cache altogether.

A good way to test is if both of yiz connect to the same web page where the logs can be checked ...(note the time). If the log checker could confirm ye both come from different caches then that could explain it.

Good luck trying to get the front line support in IOL to understand what a transparent cache is :D and LOL the subject too.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

I had a similar problem (good ping, bad thru put) on netsource saturday afternoon, but it cleared up without explaination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

So this Netsource/IOL thing is temporary, and not a long term thing? Bizmark, how long have you had IOL now? Can you guage the percentage good through put vs. the percentage bad through put?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Care to provide people with such a webpage where logs can be checked, muck? :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mervync

yo yo yo iolbb is definitely slower than dial up ...i got faster speeds on iol.free....rang several times but no joy threathened to go to eircom but the reply was whatever????????:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

I'm experiencing the same thing now Bizmark. :(

Pings are fantastic but the throughput is down at 33.6 modem speeds.

Guess I'll wait in a game server for things to sort themselves out. ;)

====================================
    C:\>ping www.boards.ie

Pinging www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
    Reply from 217.114.166.147: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 217.114.166.147:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 24ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 25ms

C:\>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 28 ms 26 ms 24 ms lo3.bas501.cwt.esat.net
    2 25 ms 24 ms 22 ms fe2-0.rate502.cwt.esat.net
    3 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms vlan501.rt501.cwt.esat.net
    4 23 ms 22 ms 22 ms vlan53.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com
    5 20 ms 23 ms 24 ms ge0-0.core002.cwt.esat.net
    6 24 ms 22 ms 23 ms pos2-0.br001.inex.esat.net
    7 27 ms 25 ms 24 ms fa0-0.ipr1.dub2.ie.insnet.cw.net
    8 21 ms 24 ms 23 ms 62.221.31.9
    9 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms 62.221.2.78
    10 25 ms 26 ms 25 ms 217.114.160.11
    11 23 ms 25 ms 25 ms www.boards.ie [217.114.166.147]

Trace complete.
    ===================================

But when I attempted to download a file from Dell's server in Bray I got 3KB/sec ! :eek: :mad:

Is anyone who is experiencing this problem using the Esat USB modem or are they using their own modem?

I'm pretty sure I'm on the Dun Laoghaire exchange. 235XXXX

M03

I just got a website that i could check the logs of. (i'm on clicksilver, but seem to be having a similar problem - great pings, slow pages).

The IP shown in the logs of the webserver is 195.218.116.8, which belongs to UTV, but isn't the IP that i've been assigned.

Does this sound like a transparent cache? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Also, i take it if it's a cache that this only affects HTTP? Other protocols should be just fine, right?

Would anyone know an ideal file, maybe about 5-10MB, on esat's own network, or even on UTV's, that would serve as a good test download?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

There's a test page on www.u.tv/speedtest or you could try ftp.esat.net, try downloading one of Linux ISO's.

Oh and I think you can ditch the last line of your sig Balfa ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

just did the utv test

aaaaaaargh.jpg

no comments....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

just did UTV speed test , 4 runs as recommended:

1. 30Kbit
    2. 70Kbit
    3. 147Kbit
    4. 218Kbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Balfa
    I just got a website that i could check the logs of. (i'm on clicksilver, but seem to be having a similar problem - great pings, slow pages).

The IP shown in the logs of the webserver is 195.218.116.8, which belongs to UTV, but isn't the IP that i've been assigned.

Does this sound like a transparent cache? Is there anything that can be done about this?

Spot on Balfa thats a cache open command prompt and type

telnet 195.218.116.8 80

(blank screen appears with flashing cursor, now type)

get http 1.1

(now hit return once or twice, I got this back from it!)

<HTML>
    <!-- $Id: //depot/prod/ontap/Rbrutus/prod/netcache/errors/500.html#1 $ -->

<HEAD><TITLE>500 Server Error</TITLE></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <H1>Server Error</H1>
    <H4>
    The following error occurred:<P>
    This request was not recognized. Perform a trace.
    </H4
    >
    <HR>
    Please contact the administrator.
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Please post a page so the IOL mob can access it and then you check your logs for it.

sorry, it's not my page, it's a mate's, and i don't want to hassle him by asking him to check his logs for the next few weeks.

I tried the utv speedtest, and got...... 16kbps! :D just a smidgen faster than a 14.4k modem :)

now, the interesting thing, the computer i'm trying this on, is networked to my dad's 2k machine which is sharing its (clicksilver w/ zyxel USB modem) internet connection with mine. On his computer, the utv speedtest usually gets over 350kbps... i ran it on mine again, 32kbps... ran it again... and it still hasn't finished, 30 minutes later :/

Those of you having the same problem, are you by any chance behind a windows ICS server? Also, are you using the supplied zyxel USB modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Just checked my web logs and IP is the same as the one assigned to me by IOL BB.

• Advertisement

How can I tell If I am behind a Windows ICS server?
    I do use the zyxel USB modem and have the same speed issue.

well esat are going to try and fix the problum cant ask for more really

Really hope they find the problum fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Likewise - this is really wrecking my head now. I've been trying to access the Buy & Sell web page - it's now two minutes and it's still now opened. Still have my 56k installed and can't imagine it being any worse than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

this thread is making me feel sick, knowing that if ive paid for this and it turns out this bad... I have a feeling this will all be patched up however... Broad band is broad band and because most isps have it its proly an eircom fault (the source) and because it is BB, and they realise its slower at the moment than a 33.6 modem, they will no doubt get this fixed.

Bizmark,

Do you think more people should email/ring IOL or did you get assurances that the problem would be fixed for everybody?

If you think we should contact them ourselves could you pm me the email address/phone number that you used?

Cheers

M03

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Works perfectly for me....had a glitch an hour on the first day but no problems...

M03

I sent this tread to Bill murphy (esat) to show him that other,s are haveing the same problums as i am

He told me they will open a "trouble ticker" with me (no idea what that is)

id say you should complan you and i didnt sign up for slow speed

Thanks bizmark.

I'll get onto somebody tomorrow.

M03

Here is my dl speed for tonite

DLing a file from a ftp with 16K bandwidth available.

results:

17244KB in 3:15

Its 3 hours not 3 minutes
    Thats an average of something like 1.47KB/s

And below thats for the last 3 minutes

argh.jpg

At this rate I am not sure I will have finished downloading tomorrow morning.

Correct me if I am wrong but at believe that If I am DLing at 1.47kb/s 24/7 during a month I will barely reach 4 gig.

The 5gig cap is not a problem after all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

lol every cloud has a silver lineing i guess then hey :p

Nah though this is bad form...

Advertisement