Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband slower than Gbush at a mensa meeting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by clownboy
    Are you sure its the 1st of August??

How do you know this??

Because if it is, let the downloads begin. I'm not paying for 50 euro a month and only using 2 gigs of my cap

Is the first of the month reset date the same with IOL Anytime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Most likely yes, you get a certain amount of hours per month.. resets at the start of a new month to 0hrs used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

this is a disaster.
    i takes me about an hour on average to try and connect to the net...and when i log on i wish i was back on the ever-reliable 56ki I got 53kB/sec (top) but that was only once, at 4 in the morning...anything before that is a joke..
    Called the "technical expert" to ask if its me, or if its really possible that they're that crap and he told me "well downloading an mp3 is obviously not gonna give you an accurate reading on yer d/l speeds and bandwidth"
    and i said "oh yeah, smart-ass, why do you think i got this? so i can download text files all day??"
    it just never ends............:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

oh yeah, smart-ass, why do you think i got this? so i can download text files all day??"

LOL:D

so damn true though in all fairness a 48:1 ratio on a 1 meg line!!!!! fecking hell thats crazy surely they must of known they would get more than 2 user,s on a busy exchange like cork city,s or dublin :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Maybe Eircom _actually_ believed it when they said they thought there was no demand for broadband, and weren't just trying to hang on to profitable auld dialup :)

• Advertisement

Maybe Eircom _actually_ believed it when they said they thought there was no demand for broadband, and weren't just trying to hang on to profitable auld dialup

YA and i dont have a unhealty love for computer,s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Im giving this a week actually. Since about 7pm, i started to notice **** slow speeds. Im downloading Opera Version 7 with java from downloads.com(the most reliable place to download) " 11.3kbps and its 2.07am. Thats ****en ridiculous if i can say that. One more week, if im not consistently getting 50kbps or at least 40kbps, i will be cancelling it and giving netsource my cash instead. I could get about 4-5kbps on a 56k modem connected at 33.6kbps.

Come on...

Bizmark and Ancient1, how bad is it for you guys?

Um bad

between ohhhhhhhh 2 in the day to around 1 at night its shocking 700B/S

after that its grand lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

At least youre getting a few hours of decent speeds, I havent seen a download speed above 2.5k/s in the past 3 days at ANY TIME using Clicksilver.

I don't wanna keep bitching on the UTV NG, I'll give it another week or two to improve and if it doesn't I'll scream bloody murder until they cancel the 12 month contract.

(And yes I know this thread is about IOL BB but it's basically the same service.)

Ye there all the same service really. Do you think im being ungrateful with speeds of 12kbps at 9pm on a saturday night? Just since about 3am...its shot right up again to normal. I downloaded a 60mb file in 15 minutes.:confused:

• Advertisement

What speeds to you get with Kazaa or ftp?

I get anything from 3kbps to 70kbps to be honest. With Kazaa, it depends hugely on the person your downloading from.

Im not sure about ftp. Can you give me an FTP site to try?

ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/libc6/SRPMS

I just downloaded some random 1.1mb file from that ftp server and was getting 25kbps - 30kbps.

Is that bad for that particular server?

Try a bigger file. My speed starts around 15 Kb/s but goes up to 50 Kb/s as it goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you guys actually complaining to anyone who can do something about it? There's no point complaining about it to tech support, it's not like their voices would get heard in Esat by the people who can fix the problem....why don't you email all your super sekret contacts in esat eh

Ye your right. It should start str8 at 40-50kbps though.

Your on IOL BB or Netsource?

Are you guys actually complaining to anyone who can do something about it?

I dont feel the need to. Im happy with it 90% of the time. That being downloads. Pings are constantly low for some reason. Some evening the speed drops a bit...i guess thats contention ratio for ya.

Although, if it starts acting up like Bizmark or Ancient1 has experienced, then I will be complaining.

Originally posted by UbahOne
    Ye your right. It should start str8 at 40-50kbps though.

Your on IOL BB or Netsource?
    Netsource

If it's only http that there's slow speeds for then it's nothing to do with contention. They have a proxy problem. It's something that they can fix

Since today(Sunday 27'th) having **** speeds since 4.30pm(when it started to rain in Dublin)...Anyone else on IOL or any other Provider have/ing this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

If you look back through the thread you will see that myself, bizmark, Ancient1, Fabre, and others, have all had horrible performance for most of the last 7 days.

Fabre noticed that it was fine in the morning but degraded as you headed towards the close of business.

So by the time I get on there is no speed whatsoever for downloads. 0.9K/sec???

M03

What do you guys plan to do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 musiccccdub

I've been using clicksilver and have contacted support, but I'm getting the following speeds and pings (for info)

Pings to www.utv are about 90 ms and boards.ie about 110, but running
    speedtest from http://u.tv/speedtest/ gives this

26/7/03 23:14 948592 bytes transferred in 432.562 secs 17 kbit
    26/7/03 23:30 948592 bytes transferred in 359.818 secs 21 kbit
    26/7/03 23:46 948592 bytes transferred in 354.91 secs 21 kbit

27/7/03 17;20 948592 bytes transferred in 343.644 secs 21 kbit
    27/7/03 18:03 948592 bytes transferred in 402.329 secs 18 kbit
    27/7/03 18:10 948592 bytes transferred in 364.865 secs 20 kbit

..... ouch .....

It took me 100 seconds to download that 1mb file from UTV on their speed test. Not good...not good.

MO3,
    let me summarize my experience so far...
    when my contract with esat expires, i'll sign up for broadband with Dublin Bus...

I truly believe that that imaginary Quality Bus Corridor is faster than this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

UbahOne: I already contacted Bill Murphy at Esat so someone reasonably high up has heard about the speed problem.

musiccccdub: That looks about right for what I was getting over the last week. Sucks to be us don't it?

Ancient1: Since when has Dublin Bus solved traffic problems? ;)

We need to get onto them again tomorrow and keep the pressure on.

M03

We need to get onto them again tomorrow and keep the pressure on.

Damn str8.

exactly my point, MO3..:) With the speeds we are getting from Esat - in comparison Dublin Bus looks like a shiny example of efficiency....(dont make me start a thread about dublin bus, i'll get banned from the boards ha!:D )
    Anyways, Bill Murphy etc (i think) wouldnt be too involved with practical issues, what i mean is we have to get our hands on the Technical Director or someone like that, IT director maybe, who'll understand the issues here...

In my experance Bll murphy is the guy to get things done in esat

• Advertisement

Has he guaranteed to fix your problem Biz?

Advertisement