Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iol broadband slower than Gbush at a mensa meeting

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Their working on it at the moment

ill give the benfit of the douth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Thats good news anyway. He didnt tell you if others were complaining about it did he? Or that he knew what the problem was?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

You're right Ancient1 :) , us poor souls on IOL don't have the bandwidth for a Dublin Bus thread. ;)

About who to contact in Esat - Bizmark and Ancient1 are both right.

Bizmark is right because Bill Murphy sounds very serious about getting our problem fixed but he was quite anxious for me to also ring through to customer care to "register" the issue with them. Maybe decisions to fix problems are based on the volume of calls?

Ancient1 has a point about someone with their "finger on the button". Someone who can say "Oi! More bandwidth over here Eircom."

I think someone posted the email address of the Esat complaints officer. It might be worth dropping him/her a line as well. The more people we write to, with all of us saying the same things, the more likely we can get something sorted. Plus it'll make it easier to get out of the contract if they kniow we've been having problems and have been trying to get them fixed.

M03

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

I've been on Clicksilver now for nearly a week and everything is great.

Granted I'm a gamer and browser and don't download big files save for game patches.
    This is what I can constantly get for the utv test BTW

untitled1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Tonight is the worst connection I ever had so far.
    less than 1kb/s and full of huge period of time where nothing happen. :mad:

I am actually downloading 2 files at that moment...

sundaynite.jpg

About taking action I did the following.

A few exchange of email with BT tech support trying to understand the situation.
    Logged a complaint with customer care.
    Again a few mail with customer care regarding the cancellation of a subscription.
    btw after signing up you have 7 days to cancel but once you received the modem you have to pay the 12 months even if you want out.

Basically once you get the modem you're ****ed.

After waiting for broadband for so long and getting this...
    I'd say I am a tad frustrated.

I have work for a big IT company and I tell you it takes months to see any change when something is obviously not working properly.

Bizmark can you tell me what is the email of murphy?
    I am gona write to him aswell, the more email he will get the more chance he will actually act.

• Advertisement

bill.murphy@iol.ie is Bill's Email.

When i mailed him during the week, he asked me if i called customer care...i told him some lark about how i got mixed up etc...

Although, when i mailed him, i asked him to find out the usage thing for me. And he gave it.

Im tempted to mail him again if this doesnt improove. And about the 12 month contract and not getting out of it, I will have no trouble getting out of it if i want to/if we want to cos im not putting up with this if its like this every evening.

This Saturday and Sunday has been the worst. I assume its all the netsource ppl downloading constantly and why not? Im on 36kbps at the moment...thats slower than my dial up. If this isnt rectified either by Bill's word of mouth or in a week. I shall be gone my pretty's to join the world of netsource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

First check your contract to see if they mention a minimum speed that you should get, if its mentioned, your guarenteed money back. If not you may be screwed, but fight onwards.

If you decide its not worth waiting to see if it speeds up (e.g. you want to move to an uncapped service) then do the following. Refuse to pay, cancel any direct debits and threaten to sue them for supplying a sub-par connection (may be a bit extreme, but say you'll speak to your lawyer...). Document your connection as best you can (video tape a download going at 0.1k a second and do that for several sites) and over a few days (make sure you can see time/date in the recording. if you don't want to wait a day or two, just manually move clock onwards... :-p)

You should have a very good case if you are getting sub-56k speeds, and there will be next to nothing they can do

Today is by far my worst day on iolbb

I mean the speed isnt any worse (not that it could get worse than 700 to 23 B/S ) but all site,s i try need a few refresh,s before they load some take 3-5 mins

right pain in the bumhole

M-Fruit

Good advice i might if it doesnt speed up in the next week take that advice and head for the hill,s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭M03

Rang Esat Customer Care before lunch and the guy said there was a high level meeting going on today to decide what to do about the issues which he said that numerous people had phoned up about.

One large pinch of salt later I have decided to drop a mail to Bill Murphy to see if this is true.

I told them I would be back in a few days if things don't improve.

M03

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Please remember the math on the product.

1. 512k with 48:1 contention = 10.66Kbit per second shared equally.
    2. 10.66Kbit per second = 1.33Kbyte per second (= 1Megabyte in 13 Minutes)

If you effectively drop below that speed on a continous download from an ESAT server , say if you download something from ftp://ftp.iol.ie/pub for example, then you have a definite case IMO.

If the FTP site delivers within the parameters above then that speed is within the design architecture of the product as sold by Eircom to IOL and then on to you for €€€

Once the web/ftp site is outside of ESAT itself there are other considerations which could slow your down even further than 10.66KbitPerSecond .

M

but it must be illegal to advertise a 512k service and give users only 10kbps

Muck has a point

But then again i douth Esat will offer a service as bad as this for any lenght of time when netsource,s and Eircon are offering better speed

If they want to keep customer,s that is

I wonder what happened at that meeting ?

Biz, Muck gave some good advice in the IOFFL consumer issues section in response to my thread if you want.

I have no interest in leaveing IOL just yet.....At the moment the service sucks but i douth it will last long

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by bizmark
    But then again i douth Esat will offer a service as bad as this for any lenght of time when netsource,s and Eircon are offering better speed

eircom and netsource are both offering the same basic product, 512K/128K @ 48:1, but they aren't having the speed problems.....that kinda suggests that it's nothing to do with contention :confused:

(sorry if somebody else already made/implied that point)

Thats right. Netsource have bought extra bandwith apparently. Eircom...im not too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

eircom have probably turned on the "slow everything down to crap" switch on the esat users at the exchange level, so they'd get more customers. they didn't turn that on for netsource, cos they wanted it to look like it was esat's problem and not eircom cheating, and they wouldn't mind netsource getting the odd extra customer, considering they have a pretty lousy market share ;)

i think that its eircoms secret "take over and monoplise the broadband sector" plan again. Other than that, i'd just advise people to keep on ringing and complaining, don't e-mail. Hey, it worked for me. Here's roughly what happened between me and Irish Broadband, tech support as it should be. BTW, i was talking to the same chap both times.

Monday afternoon: I rang in for first time about bad ping probs and slow speeds. They said they'd look into it, and call me back tomorrow (tuesday).

Tuesday: I rang in at about 11am and they siad they'd call me back within the hour with further news, as they were going to investigate further on their end. TWENTY minutes later i got a call back... "an engineer will be visiting the Tallaght high site in the afternoon and will check everything out"

Tuesday evening: All's well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pthagonal

ive had iol bb for a week now and its nice n fast..

i will wait and see what happens in the coming weeks..

if it slows down i will complain, but the more people using the service the more its gonna even out with access speeds..

anyway if everybody is logged on downloading big files, mp3's etc what do you expect is gonna happen, of course its going to slow down..

and as for people saying that eircom is faster.. nuts, maybe in some cases, but i have a friend who left eircom bb because it was so bad..

there are gonna be problem cases everywhere, and as usuall someones gonna moan and think the grass would be greener with the other provider..

im just glad my internet access is nice n fast, i can still remember the days waiting half an hour for a page to download on a ****ty 14.4 modem..

regards

Pthagonal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 revin

yippee! Online with IOLBB for 5 days and suddenly it like lightening (it was really bad). I Kept calling them and emailing and they did "something" to fix it. Now actually got 512kb all night!

Advertisement