Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films

Options
  • 22-07-2003 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

Aside from the Wicker Man, are there any films that deal with paganism in an at least semi-serious manner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

there are none that i am aware of and honest the Wicker man cant be take that seriously for who honstely preforms the
    kingly sacrfice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

If you have any interest in voodoo, you should check out The Serpent and the Rainbow. I understand it goes into great detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I guess the Arthurian stuff comes closest. Anjelica Houston, Joan Alen, and Julianna Margulies are credible enough in Uli Edel's Mists of Avalon (2000). Sam Neil as Merlin (1998) has been on Irish TV. It's silly enough, but not offensive or anything. Of course John Boorman's Excalibur (1981) is a classic; you may be interested in my attempt at a translation of the Charm of Making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

havnt seen mists as it was never released over here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

I noticed that; the links there are to Amazon.co.uk but for the Mists I had to link to Amazon.com. I got mine at Amazon.com; my DVD player has the multi-zone chip in it. (Most of my DVDs come from the States actually.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Alpha Male

Though not a movie, the Robin of Sherwood series in the early 1980's had a lot pagan elements to it such as Herne the Hunter, Cromm Cruach and Wiccan. And Clannad done the sound-track for it.

As a 10 year old child I was fascinated by it, especially the episodes called the Seven Swords of Wayland.

The address of the fansite is http://ce.et.tudelft.nl/~tirza/RoS/

Another good site which has pagan material related to it is http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/ukkoskuuro/woods.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by Alpha Male
    the Seven Swords of Wayland.

Classic stuff! I was going to mention Robin of Sherwood. It was the local village that was called Wiccan, wasn't it?

<later/>
    No, it was wickham (or wiccam), but you get the idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement