Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mercury music prize nominees

Options
  • 22-07-2003 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

ok, the nominees are out. whos gonna win? i would like The Darkness or Dizee to win it. i cant comment on the rest since i havent listened to them yet but sure to pick up after this or not.

and the list is ...

Athlete - Vehicles and Animals

Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head

The Darkness - Permission to Land

Dizzee Rascal - Boy in da Corner

Eliza Carthy - Anglicana

Floetry - Floetic

Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons

Martina Topley Bird - Quixotic

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Soweto Kinch - Conversations with the Unseen

Terri Walker - Untitled

The Thrills - So Much for the City

be nice,

adnans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Matina Topley Bird, Eliza Carthy, The Darkness, Thrillls...?

Athlete album has got some great songs, not sure if it's quite good enough to land the dough ehh.. though. They're playing The Village in Dublin on Sat Oct 4th.

Plus, Alfie (Twisted Nerve) have just been announced as special guests for the gig.
    Who Alife? http://www.twistednerve.com/alfie/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

jesus, i must be getting old...i only recognise the names of 5 of those bands!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Jesus!! Radiohead and Coldplay?!?!? Two great bands but do either of these bands really need the publicity that the Mercury Music Prize affords you? I was always under the impression that the prize was for up and coming or underground bands?? No?

Having said that, "A Rush of Blood to the Head" was probably my favourite album last year!

I'd like to see Lemon Jelly win because Lost Horizons in an excellent album, and I'm a big fan, "All the ducks are swimming in the water....." Brilliant!! :D

But I don't think they'll get it because the current trend in musical fashion tends to be shying away from Electronica in favour of more band/group orientated styles.
    So having said that, those music critic darlings that are The Thrills are probably looking favourites, although I'm not a big fan of their music personally.

I'd like to see Athlete get the award if Lemon Jelly don't get it! "Ohh it's getting hot in here........." Anybody heard their album yet?? I have it on order from CDWOW. Bought it on the strength of "You got the style" briliant summer tune!!

As for the rest of the acts, well tbh I haven't heard of the them!!! Well except for The Darkness and if they get it, well then it just makes sh!t of the whole thing!! They're bruuuuuuuuutal!!

B.

Advertisement