Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops!!!!

• 22-07-2003 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me of a site or company, that i

can get a good price on a laptop???

(other than Dell)

English, Irish or American it doesn't matter!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Go for the AMD Chip version of the Acer Models If you want a real nice powerful cheap laptop.

Quck one i got on google:
    http://www.puterz.co.uk/acerlaptops.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i wouldnt usually buy from pc world but the uk site was offering:

(its currently down for repair)

Advent Laptop great spec

P4 3.0 GHz
    40 gig 7200 rpm HDD
    512 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 64 MB graphics card
    48X CD Writer DVD Combo
    15" viewable screen

that was the general spec that i can remember of the top of my head... all that for €1800

you can buy it in sprucfield in lisburn for that price...

looked in pc world in blanch at the same time and it was €1950
    cheaper buying it up there

it is a savage spec laptop for a decent price... dell are a rip off for laptops.. the same spec on dell would be about €3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Have you considered apple?

iBook starting at €1,208.79
    http://www.apple.com/ie/ibook

Or the Powerbook range from €1,934.79
    http://www.apple.com/ie/powerbook

Peteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

Also (funnily enough) keep an eye on LIDL special offers. Every so often they bring out a laptop.

I got a
    1.4GHz Athlon 4
    512Mb
    30Gb HD
    15.1"

well over a year ago now for €1400. From a German company, TARGA, very good service BTW (better than most).

Had a problem with cpu fan. The laptop was collected, sorted and in my hands in under a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Originally posted by Peteer
    Have you considered apple?

iBook starting at €1,208.79
    http://www.apple.com/ie/ibook

Or the Powerbook range from €1,934.79
    http://www.apple.com/ie/powerbook

Peteer

Yuk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Toshiba have pretty good laptops for pretty good prices.

http://www.computers.toshiba.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

I'm in the same boat as yourself, lookin for a high spec but cheap laptop.
    I've found several places that offer cheaper laptops, they are:
    www.multivision.co.uk
    www.hi-grade.co.uk
    www.ajp.co.uk
    www.faet.de

The only problem with the above is that they are little known companys, I put a couple of threads up about faet and multivision but nobody seems to have heard of them.

I also found a crowd called europc (www.europc.co.uk) which sell refurbished (not second hand) dell laptops which are fairly high spec'd and are at least E300 cheaper than the dell website.

If you are prepared to buy from the states it is generaly cheaper, check out www.toshiba.com (especially the Satellite 5205 Series, they truely do kick ass).

Anyway goodluck with the bargin hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive bought from high grade b4 there ok ... i wouldnt be buying from them again tho .

bought one from lidil and its classic amd xp 2200 512 ddr etc...

try pc world and pcsuperstore

i know pc superstore have one think its 1600 which is a p4 2.6 with gf4 mobility and all the other crap that comes with them ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Advent above is deadly, I have one and it is my second Advent. I couldnt really question them at all, deadly spec for the price, a particularly good games machine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Paddyo that seems like pimping.. you should at least post what is at the site etc instead of just a link.. you may be innocent but we get wary of newbies with almost no posts just posting links to busienss websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Saruman

Pimping? - What is pimping in this wonderful world of bulletin board speak? I presume that is means touting for business.

As you rightly pointed out, I am a 'newbie' with only a few posts. But we all have to start somewhere.

As you suggest, I will in the future, post more information other than just a link to a site.

Even if I was pimping, which I was not, there is good value on the that website. I get email from them on a regular basis and only this morning received one with info on the latest tosh portable range - hence the link.

Anyway enough for now

Paddyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

thanx for all the advice people!! :D

This might help me get a good laptop for a decent price!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

www.nicepc.co.uk

the offer nice amilo's
    only problem is they won't deliver to ROI, like all UK Websites, yet they can deliver to NI.
    they did offer to deliver it to a friends or relative in the UK though, which was nice of them.

looking for a laptop myself and I can tell you this, do not buy one in this country, unless you want to be seriously ripped off.
    a laptop for €2000 can be purchased for less that €1500 in the UK.
    you'd be cheaper to fly to London for the day and pick one up....or even stay in a hotel for a night and come back...still save money.

laptop prices here are a joke.

PC World have a nice Microstar 2673 for sale. it's P4 2.66ghz I think with 512 ram, ati mobile 9000 64mb external ram and a 40gig HDD for £999. and I think it comes with a free printer now too. my brother managed to pick one of these up and they are a really nice machine. (especially from PC World)

Advertisement