Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio Ferdinand

• 22-07-2003 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Is Rio Ferdinand worth £30 million!!??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I have to say a big resounding NO!!

If United had bought him before the World Cup, he probably would have cost 1/2 that .... another example of the United board dragging their arses and getting belted with an inflated price!!

I personally don't believe there a many players out there worth that kind of cash!!

I'd say the only players worth that kind of money would be:

Raul
    Zidane
    Roy Keane @ his best
    Henry
    RVN
    Nedved
    & of course, I believe Ole Solksjaer is worth his weight in gold!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

& of course, I believe Ole Solksjaer is worth his weight in gold!![/QUOTE

Of Course

Rio has not been very consistant since the move but that often happens after a big move. I would expect better next season. Very few players if any are worth 30m but that is what we had to pay to get him. Maybe if utd had held off they may have got him cheaper later on but the again maybe he would have gone elsewhere for a similar fee . Utd Fans would have then been complaining about a lack of ambition. We definitely were lacking in defence before Rio came and our defensive record last season did improve . weathe that was down to rio or john o shea is open to argument.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He's only young. He'll improve with time and I'm sure he will make sure he's worth the £30m United payed for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Taken from Here

Looking back at most games United have played, i personally think that Rio is juz not the kind of player to hold on to the 30 million tag. His contribution in the team is too minimal. I guess that fergie has got no choice but to field him because of the 30million tag.

His marking, error pronness, is more and more obvious each game. The only thing he is able to lift up is,his glamourous life, carried along together with this famous and luxurious club-Manchester United.

This is not to downgrade or demotivate him as a player. But for me, the most important is, the tradition this club is holding, despite having great legends,living a luxurious and glamorous life is not wrong at all.

But you have got to live up to the expectation. Reviewing back to the games United have played, he contributed very minimum to the success of the club. There were plenty of times he gave away balls to the opponents that can cause goals.

Looking back at the Quater final clash with Real Madrid in OT, Rio was generally failed to equal the prowess of Ronaldo. All he can do is just pushed n shoved Ronaldo-which is not enough to prevent "the world's legend in the making" to score 3 goals. The most he can do is just holding his hand at the back of his head once Ronaldo scored. Is this this player equal the work rate showed by his other team mates?.

While the forward runners are all gunned up to score goals, Rio's work rate is extremely dissapointing. I guess that Ferguson is definitely scratchin his head hard enough, thinking what is he going to do with Rio.

Is he worth more than 30 million if Fergie is to sell Rio to another club? He is definitely a liability to the club, n he is also unreliable as the backbone of Man U. While Ruud is performing his routine job as one of United's best forward ever had, Rio meanwhile failed to be the supporting act for Barthez, whom definitely need to have a reliable and strong cover in front of him.

Rio is also seldom seeing tackling the opponent's strikeforce, n thus makes him one of the cleanest player on the field. So, this is just a message from a dissapointed fan who is very much keen to see the likes of Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, and Dennis Irwin's hard work to enable United to lift up another prestigous year of glory.

What is the need to score a lot of goals, when your defenders taking things lightly?...Think Fergie...think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by denis_o_leary

In a word.........DONKEY!!!!

The only reason why they paid so much for him is because they believed the hype that the English pile on their national players!!

B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not a chance, United have paid for potential and lost the gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

United had the best defensive record in the premier league last season.

They started poorly alright and all bar John OShea made critical errors. From December on though the back four played really well and it was only Barthez letting the side down.

I expect to see an improvement again this season, especially in the CL. IMO the 30 million paid will turn out to be worth it seeing as Gary Neville, Wes Brown and John OShea cost nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by The Muppet
    We definitely were lacking in defence before Rio came and our defensive record last season did improve . weathe that was down to rio or john o shea is open to argument.
    More to do with the first team coach me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

The guy is 23. They bought him from their biggest rivals. What do you expect to pay? Anyway. he got 85% of his tackles completed last season...the best on the whole utd team. He was a big reason we had the best defensive record we had...I saw this 85% thing on teletext the other day in the stats section on sky news. dont know if its still there but thats what he got...I think hes a great defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by denis_o_leary

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Definitely not worth 30m ,or even half that.
    The only reason he went for anywhere near that value is because he was English .
    He had a moderate World Cup which flattered him due to the fact England were one of the most defensive minded teams in the tournament.
    To be objective you have to wonder what are his good points.
    Speed:Average at best.
    Intelligence:None.
    Reading of the game:Atrocious
    He never seems to be concentrating on the basic things and he doesnt believe in tackling or marking.
    These are the basics of defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He can do Elvis impressions with that pringle shape lip of his, thats about all. He`s an average player who should improve.

Worth around 6million imho

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

No he's not worth 30 million but no-one is.
    It's not his fault that Utd paid 30m.
    I think that he played quite well last season considering he had some injury problems, world cup hangover , it was his first season and he had that price tag on his head.

Give the guy a break. What do you expect of him. Utd had the best defense in the Premiership.

Alright Ronaldo scored 3 against him but what do you expect when he had no support against Ronaldo. He was left isolated against him. Ronaldo will beat most players 1 on 1 whether it be Nesta, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, Thuram, Maldini or whoever you want to mention.

Going by the reasoning used here O'Shea should never play center half after the way the Basel strikers destoyed him in the C.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by Sposs
    Taken from Here

Rio is also seldom seeing tackling the opponent's strikeforce, n thus makes him one of the cleanest player on the field. So, this is just a message from a dissapointed fan who is very much keen to see the likes of Steve Bruce, Gary Pallister, Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, and Dennis Irwin's hard work to enable United to lift up another prestigous year of glory.

You can't be serious saying you want the likes of Pallister and Bruce back. They were decent defenders in the Premiership but were absolutely brutal in the C.L.
    Stoichov and Romario and others regularly made those 2 look like Pub Team players.
    Is it any coincidence that Utd only began to look like genuine CL contenders when these 2 were shipped out.

Originally posted by colster
    You can't be serious saying you want the likes of Pallister and Bruce back.

I think you'll have to ask "Lokman Affandy" that question, he wrote the piece!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think Rio Ferdinand is a great central defender. But there is plenty in the Premiership as good or better than him and others with more potential.

Hyypia, Desially are better established players and I reckon O'Shea (maybe), Terry (maybe), Gallas (defo), Yobo (defo) and Woodgate (defo) will eventually be better than him.

Is he worth £30m? Not now certainly, no defender is in the current financial times. Was it a fair price at the time? Eh, maybe. Not too far off anyway bearing in mind the circumstances rival team, very young, a local national team player (always worth a few bob) and the buying team were ****ing rich and ****ing desperate for a quality pacy centre half.

Just about everyone thought football finances had got as bad as they were going to, we know different now but thats 20-20 hindsight and perhaps other clichés.

I'd say £20m - £25m would have been fair at the time. Factoring in the spectacular animosity between the two teams and you're not far off.

What I will never understand to my dying day is why Man U didn't buy Nesta or Cannavaro instead at that time. Nesta went for £20m to Milan and Cannavaro for a bit less to Inter. Parma and Lazio would have creamed themselves for the chance to sell the lads to a non- Serie A club they would perhaps have sold for less.

Both of them have more talent in their left testicles than any premierhsip defender.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    What I will never understand to my dying day is why Man U didn't buy Nesta or Cannavaro instead at that time. Nesta went for £20m to Milan and Cannavaro for a bit less to Inter. Parma and Lazio would have creamed themselves for the chance to sell the lads to a non- Serie A club they would perhaps have sold for less.

Both of them have more talent in their left testicles than any premierhsip defender.

So true!!

Originally posted by DapperGent
    They did make bids for the players, but the players weren't interested. A move away from Italy is seen as jeopardising your chances in the Italian national team.

The Premiership is a bit of an Elephant's graveyard as far as the big name Italian players are concerned - Casiraghi, Ravanelli, Vialli and Zola all made the trip when they were no longer wanted in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Bannor
    They did make bids for the players, but the players weren't interested. A move away from Italy is seen as jeopardising your chances in the Italian national team.
    Maybe we were reading different soccer websites but at the time the rumblings from Lazio and Parma were that they really really didn't want to want to sell to rival clubs. While some premiership clubs may look a bit pants from an Italian point of view Man U certainly would not.

I don't think they made appropriate bids at the time but I could be wrong.

Nesta had serious interest from both Man Utd and Real Madrid.

Red Devils to step up Nesta interest Planetfootball - July 2nd 2002

Real to resurrect Nesta bid Planetfootball - July 4th 2002

What scuppered them was that Nesta said he wouldn't leave Italy. The Italian clubs who were bidding for him then all agreed to make the same bid for the player and let him decide based upon the personal terms offered - the Italian mafia is alive and well. :D

Inter deal for Nesta close to collapse Planetfootball - July 9th 2002

In the end he joined Milan for 21M.

• Advertisement

Man Utd were also in the hunt for Cannavaro

Four in for Fabio Planetfootball - April 26th 2002

By the time the player was made available they had already signed Ferdinand.

Advertisement