Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you use the internet do you unplug all your phones?

Options
  • 22-07-2003 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

When you use the internet at home do you unplug all your phones?

I can't connect to the net unless I unplug the phones downstairs, which is a hassle as I usually forget to plug them back in and end up missing calls.

Anyone know of a switch, box, gadget, solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was wondering what you meant until I remembered I have a
    split line inside the house, so its not an issue, which means you need a splitter too!

Head down to your nearest PC stockest and if they're any good they'll have line splitters in stock, you just want a two into one type that fits a standard box.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't unplug anything and it works fine. Everything's coming out of a single socket though. Oddly enough if I pop a cable into the back of the sky digibox it won't dial anywhere until I plug out the PC modem. Works fine the other way around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Mmmmmm, if I manage to get connected without first unplugging the other phones I get a very sad, slow connection.

My DECT phones must be sucking a lot from the phone line even though they have their own power supply.

Any suggestions??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Dont forget there is a limit to the amount of devices you can have working off one line. I think its called REM or something like that.

i'll check up on google.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Each phone has an REN (Ring Equivalent Number) and your normal circuit can take a total REN of around 3. (I think this is the limit that the line can power) This translates to at least 3 normal phones and I don't think DECTs add up much especially since they aren't line powered. In the old days it used be given in the Argos catalogue.

I don't unplug my phone lines but of late i have noticed that even hough the pC is shut down I sometimes need to unplug my modem line in order to make a call. This has only occasionally occurred over the last few months..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I remember seeing REN Boosters in an Argos or Index catalogue, though they were designed for BT sockets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

I remember on my auld 56k connection (god bless the thing :rolleyes: ) that if I was able to connect to the internet at anytime even with the other 2 phones in the house pluged in.. BUT if i disconnected 1, my connection rate went right up to 52k (max connection on analoge line) and when I pluged the phone back in and tried to connect again it went back to connecting to 52k.

The strange thing is your phone line gets used to the modem or something after a while.. I rember when i first got my pc with the 56k in it.. I connected at lik 33.6 or something then it got faster and faster as time went by.. then I found out the disconnection trick that got me to 52k. But by the end of the day i didnt need to even unplug the phone upstiars to get 52k.. it just kind of adapted or something.. anyways that was a few months ago its 512k now baby :D

Regards,
    -Coz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Calman

On a laptop, didn't think it was possible, this is with Win98

Advertisement