Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On-line searchable Dictionaries

• 22-07-2003 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a good dictionary on-line with a good wild card capability?

I use dictionary.com for ease of use but can't for the life of me find a good dictionary with wild card capability. I thought I could use Microsoft Word for this but it doesn't seem possible.

What I mean is - I would like to find out how to spell 'conspicuous' for example. I can't type in conspicuous in dictionary.com because it will most likely fail (unless the slim chance of a suggestion). what I would like to do is replace unknown letters with wild cards.

I'd like to be able to tell a dictionary
    SEARCH - CONSP*
    and it will search for a word starting in Consp and give me all words with this starter. Or indeed any other variance
    SEARCH - *A*I*T*S*S
    would finally give me Halitosis.

This would actually also be a boon for crosswords come to think of it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Were you trying to spell conspicuous incorrectly there? If so, you failed!
    Anyway, you can make a good stab at the spelling and it will probably come up with a suggestion. If not, try lamping it into Google and you may get a "did you mean..." result which could be what you are looknig for.
    A crossword solver is a different matter. I guess there would be an online one of them. Too lazy to do the searching now. I'll let you do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

Hi,

You can try http://dictionary.cambridge.org
    It will work fine with your 1st example CONSP* but not with the 2nd one...

The good thing is that there somewhere on the web site a bookmark feature that open a Javascript Prompt... Check Link to Us.

Raphael

Originally posted by Gordon
    SEARCH - *A*I*T*S*S
    would finally give me Halitosis.
    No, not brushing & flossing regularly would finally give you halitosis (ba-dum-tish).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Aha actually I found one now...

http://www.onelook.com/

ColinM - I'll set em up - you knock em into goal ;)

Ah, chortle Gordon, chortle indeed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement