Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1603 Router with Anytime

Options
  • 23-07-2003 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Anyone know if it is possible to configure a 1603 to work with Anytime???

Does the 1603 need a specified IP address to use NAT or can it be configured to use DHCP

Any samples?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

A 1603 what?
    What would you be using NAT for with a dynamic IP address anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Thought I needed to use NAT as we have multiple PC's on the ethernet side of router.

Anyway on further research the issue seems not to be NAT (which maybe we can do without as you suggested) but an IOS feature called Easy Ip which is only availabile from release 11.3 and we are using 11.2.

Do Cisco allow you to download upgrades to IOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Thought you meant nat mappings, sorry (was early :))
    You'll need nat.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Originally posted by towbar
    Do Cisco allow you to download upgrades to IOS? [/B]

Yep, they do, I'm pretty sure. I'm sure they're flinging upgrades out the door because of the security issues recently.

BTW, somebody pointed me to Cisco's Config Maker (google for it) recently that really helped when I wanted to set up an 803 to connect to UTVXL.

yes we got config maker - it seems very good at least you can understand the options!!

but it has this easy ip option to automatically allocate IP address however according to Cisco web site our version of the IOS (11.2) doesn't support Easy IP.

Checking to see howwe go about upgrading, doesn't appear to be downloadable. Will post back if I find anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

As far as I'm aware Cisco will charge you for IOS upgrades. You can download them off the website, but you need a CCO login that has the ability to do so... which you don't seem to have. They may have free security updates, but you are probably better off talking to whoever you purchased the router off.

On the other hand, I don't think you need Easy IP. You should be able to do without.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Can't remember the exact price but the last upgrade I got was about €15 ! - upgrading any freatures beyond the basic IOS was bloody expensive though.

do a web search ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by towbar
    Anyone know if it is possible to configure a 1603 to work with Anytime???

Is it a 1603 or 1603R , you can use an R flash on a non R machine if the flash memory card in the slot is only 4Mb

Its the IOS version that determines whether you can connect and pick up a dynamic IP cleanly, IOS 12.3 would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It's been a long while since I played with a 1603 but it should work fine. Used NAT in the last place I was in that had one.

IOS is 11.2 which doesn't support ip address negotiated.

is there any other way without changing ios - anybody understand what ip unnumbered does?

• Advertisement

Sorted,

Thanks for all the help.

Upgraded IOS - luckily didnt have to upgrade memory. Haven't tried Anytime on the router yet but at least can apply now.

Advertisement