Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What digital camera??

• 23-07-2003 12:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i have about €300-400 to spend on a digital camera with a enough memory cards to store a few hundred pictures, i have no idea what model or even a brand can anyone here help me out??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Well I got the one on sale in the latest argos mag. Its a polaroid 2.1 megapixel. Its got 8meg built in memory and comes with a free 64meg card and a"sleek" leather case. I think it was a bout 150-180. Very good camera. Well impressed with it.

Dangerously easy to lose holiday pix with digital cameras though !

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭deepspeed

Originally posted by irishguy
    i have about €300-400 to spend on a digital camera with a enough memory cards to store a few hundred pictures, i have no idea what model or even a brand can anyone here help me out??

A mate of mine recently bought a Fujifilm FinePix i think it was F40 or something?? It was more like the €400 mark, but i was looking at it last week and ive never seen a slicker camera, and the photo quality is excellent. AFAIK it came with a 64M card and a little USB docking station thingy....

If I was buying one and had the cash, i think it would be one of those!

They are on komplett, but I think they may be cheaper on shop.iol.ie

Happy shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

ok i have been looking around and it has to use CompactFlash or Secure Digital these are half the price of other media types i could get 256mb of compact flash delivered for €67 which will do about 300 pics at 2048 x 1536 thats more than i could want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Hey the BEST digital camera out there at the moment for that price range MUST be the Fujifilm Finepix F410. Its an entry level camera for €450. I bought it and I found it fantastic! It is a 3 megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom. It is a compact and stylish device which produces excellent images. You can buy it here: best place for it cheapest in Ireland as far as I can see for that camera: http://www.pushingtin.ie

looks like a cool cam but €400 is the max and for that i expect 64mb or 128mb storage and mabey a docking station

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Well you do get a docking station with it but i'm afraid only 16mb XD Card

but does it accept compact flash aswell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

my new fuji finepix one only takes xD cards, i think the largest one of those you can get is 128mb...
    about €80 on komplett iirc.

/me hugs his lovely new camera
    damn thing eats through batteries tho, i'm gonna have to buy another set of rechargables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have a 3.1MP Kodak DC4800 and am very happy with it, however in this segment nothing beats the Nikon camera's for image quality. The 3.1MP one in the link below is a fantastic camera. It costs 375 Euro and comes with 16MB compact flash. You will however get a 128MB compact flash card for 37 Euro from the same place.

This camera will spank any of those mentioned above for image quality even though it's specs are the same. Look around at the reviews. dcviews.com, dpreview.com, steves-digicams.com etc....

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=33807&t=825&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=14&GrpID=1&s=pl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Nikon 3100.

3Mpix, 3 Opt zoom, 4 dig zoom (I think)
    Lots of features not on other cameras. Comes with s/w including Photshop elements 2.0 and can do 40sec videos. Uses CF.
    With 256 CF card may work out just over 400.

Great camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

fujifilm finepix 2800 zoom
    2 meg pix
    6x optical zoom , 2.5 digital
    1600x1200
    1.8" lcd display

lots of other nice features
    costs 300 euros and u can buy an expansion card for it

the Finepix 2800 Zoom and the Nikon 3100 look cool i was actually looking at them but the 2800 is only 2MP and doesnt have recharagable battries but it is €317 delivered and the 3100 is €400 delivered so i am still not sure which one to go for but i think i have narrowed it down to one of these

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

When you get your digital camera you'll probably need to get a couple of other things as well.
    Like...
    A bigger memory card on which to store more photos/movies on. Go for 128MB which will give you plenty of space to store those holiday snaps especially if you're taking 3.2 megapixel photos;
    A PC to download your images and movies to;
    A CD burner/writer to backup your stuff to (you'll need this as something nasty could happen to your hard drive)
    A colour printer for the obvious, but print cartridges and photo paper can be expensive, so use http://www.bonusprint.ie/ who charge 20¢ for conventional prints.

i have got all the above [even a epson 915 photo printer] just have to get the bigger memory card. i am going to america on Hols i might just wait to go over there to buy the camera could be alot cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

http://www.7dayshop.com/ <<<

Good shop for bits and bobs attached to whatever camera you get, cases, batteries... etc

cant see any digital cameras on that site on only accesories, mabey i am looking in the wrong place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Sorry I clicked send by accident, its jsut an accessories site, but cheap and reliable. My granddad got a Minolta which is amazing and can take brief movies as well, I'll ask him where he got it when I go home.

irishGuy, the Fuji 2800 looks cool, but cannot match the quality of the optics on the Nikon, let alone the resolution. It's worth the extra money. Plus CF is probably the cheapest and most easily available memory type. (I got 256MB for about 50 Euro on Special with Komplett a few months ago).

ya i think your right might just have to pay the extra money, but then i was thinking i could just wait till i go to america [my main reason for buying it] and get it there prices look soo much cheaper there

Prices are good in the states, at christmas I bought a 2.1MP Fuji2650 (3x optical zoom) on special offer from a well known electronics chain called Best Buy for 149 US dollars !

• Advertisement

but you know the way here in Ireland stores on the net could save you 50% or even more, is it the same in America or could i walk into a store and pic up a camera cheap?? or would i have to get it off the net and pick it up when i am there [my aunt lives in NY so i suppose i could get it delivered to her and she could mail it over]

Advertisement