Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Linetest - Dammit.. any options?

Options
  • 23-07-2003 9:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

So - I applied for the UTV Clicksilver broadband connection on the basis that my telephone number was in a DSL enabled exchange area....must have been back around July 2nd or so...

Got the email from UTV this morning...

UTV Internet Clicksilver Services
    ===============================
    Dear XXXX,

Unfortunately the prequalification test on your phone line has indicated that your phone line does not meet the requirements for broadband provisioning.
    Therefore we are unable to process your application for Clicksilver any further. The signup fee which has been debited from your account will be refunded.

We are sorry that your application for clicksilver broadband has not been successful.You may wish to avail of our flat rate dial-up product offering virtually unlimited off-peak access at a fixed monthly fee. For more information on this please visit http://www.utvip.com

Thank you,
    UTV Internet Clicksilver Services

Technical Support: 1890 926 000
    Accounts Administration: 1890 926 111

So what now..? Am I doomed to friggin Dialup? I do not under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES want to give business to EIRCON.. so what's left for me?

c0y0te

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

u r in Dublin

Leap NTL Irishwisp IBB all come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

NTL don't do my area - stuck with lousy chorus.

I am interested in online gaming, so I don't want a satellite option

Was hoping for DSL or Cable, but realistically DSL was my only option because of Chorus restriction.

Wireless doesn't seem like an option either - I'm north county dublin, not city centre.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Did you try the line test feature at www.adsl.ie Look for a link that says "Can I get i-stream starter" or something to that affect. See if it passes. If it does, get back on to UTV. If not, find the number for line faults for Eircom and complain, complain, complain. Provided of course you are certain that your line is coming from an enabled exchange.

All the lines (3) at my house were failing. I had a good friend of mine ring eircom on my behalf and got my line sorted. My lines were on carriers (ie. 2 phone lines on the one set of wires). This was unsplit and my line then past. I've been up and running on BB since last week.

Tincool,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the adsl.ie tester but even though I'm in a DSL enabled exchange area, it fails the line test for some reason.

DAMMIT!!!!! Looks like I'm destined to dial up hell.

c0y0te:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

See if you've got one of those line splitter boxes on the telephone poll outside your house, if so ask eircom to remove it.

Ring comreg and see if they can help, probably not but you never know.

• Advertisement

What does this 'line splitter box' look like?

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Negotiator

Maybe your telephones/faxes are limiting the speed of your line. I used to have one of those old rotary pulse dialing phones and never connected to the internet above 36K. About a month ago i got one of them newfangled tone dialing phones and have since passed the prequalification test on adsl.ie. If all else fails try plugin out all your phones for a while, what have you got to lose?

I've got no real proof that this works however, it could all just be a coincidence. Maybe one of the more techically minded members could discount this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

the prequal test just consults a database that is occasioanlly updated. Ring 1901 and ask them to do a complete line test, not just a database consultation.

Originally posted by Negotiator
    Maybe your telephones/faxes are limiting the speed of your line. I used to have one of those old rotary pulse dialing phones and never connected to the internet above 36K. About a month ago i got one of them newfangled tone dialing phones and have since passed the prequalification test on adsl.ie. If all else fails try plugin out all your phones for a while, what have you got to lose?

I've got no real proof that this works however, it could all just be a coincidence. Maybe one of the more techically minded members could discount this.

Quite right in fact and well done.

The problem is that the tests are carried out once a month by rote so the phone may have to stay unplugged that long to get a pass....and then again it may not pass.

Remove all fones with displays/clocks
    Fax machines
    Unplug modems if not in use
    Leave one displayless fone plugged in in the socket nearest the line entry to the house (usually the hall)
    Then wait a month or get a test done by calling 1901 as often as you have to.
    If the horrible Biddies on 1901 wont test after repeated attempts then ring the 1800503303 ADSL Sales section in Eircom , get them to test it instead.
    If they wont test for you either then ask for Emily who is the supervisor in the ADSL section, give her a day or two to get the test run again.
    If it is still a fail sell your house and buy another one before the line test result becomes part of the standard house purchase contract...I certainly would not buy a house where the line failed an Eircom ADSL test ........

M

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'm not sure what they look like I've never seen one but I understand they're quiet common, ask in the Net / Comms board. They're well up on all that lark :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

How far are you from the exchange? If you're over 5km away (along the cable path, not a direct line) then you're not going to get RADSL. If you're within range then moan and bitch to eircom till they can tell you exactly what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

I had the same problem some months ago: My house is in the exchange area.

Eircom said NORMALLY it should be possible to get ADSL.

But my house failed the line test (you don't have to plug you phones out etc.!).

Eircom was not able to tell me why, nor they wanted to sent a technician to look after the problem!

They said: "This happens, sorry, why don't you get ISDN instead?".

Thank you!

Now I have LEAP and I am happy.

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

There have been reports that unplugging your phones can help in some situations.

I have ISDN here that failed everything but Esat BT Business ADSL. Got an extra line installed last month just out of curiosity...it was passed yesterday.

If you are lucky enough to be on one of the 40 Esat LLU exchanges then give them a go and see if you can get the business. Of course this is expensive but also much more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

preference is always given to coporate users.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by TinCool
    All the lines (3) at my house were failing. I had a good friend of mine ring eircom on my behalf and got my line sorted. My lines were on carriers (ie. 2 phone lines on the one set of wires). This was unsplit and my line then past. I've been up and running on BB since last week.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

You managed to get a splitter/pairgain/carrier system/DAC/whatever its called removed.......

OMFG HOW DID U DO THAT???

I've been sending emails and calling them for months and they keep basically saying "p!ss off we're too lazy to remove them". The biddys on 1901 dont even acknowledge the existance of the devices.

Did you have to pay/bribe them or something? Blackmail them? Threaten Nolan's family? Hit the little grey box with a pickaxe? :ninja:

Thanks,

PLEASE reply........

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAHEEEEEEEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

Thanks again,
    Andrew :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Originally posted by El_MUERkO
    I'm not sure what they look like I've never seen one but I understand they're quiet common, ask in the Net / Comms board. They're well up on all that lark :)

They're little grey boxes, approximatly 7 or 8 inches high, one or 2 inches thick and 5 or 6 inches wide, with 3 black wires coming out of them. And they've usually got "Multigain 2000" writen on the front of them in blue letters. I'm also thinking of painting a bullseye and/or crosshair on mine :ninja:

starting tomorrow you can have the pairgain removed .....oh thats if you live in the UK :D see pages 58/60 of This PDF Doc .

The funny thing is that the same law should apply here too, it is an EU directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

If its an EU directive why hasn't it been applied here?

______
    C.

ask them directly.

The wording of the UK USO and the Comreg Contact details are all available Here

Get it on!

OK - here is the latest....

I got in touch with the ADSL biddies and they just said 'sorry, can't tell you why its failed, but its failed."

I rang 1901 faults crowd and they tested the line and confirmed no issues, no static, no faults, no split carrier etc. etc. As far as they are concerned its a good line, but they have no idea what the minimum requirements are for a DSL line... that would be another department blah blah blah.

I have no idea how far I am from the DSL enabled exchange as the cable is laid, and no way of finding out (since I cannot find anyone who can tell me where/how or how long the cable route is from exchange to my house/junction etc.

So - I am consigned back to a life of diallup hell forever it seems, as getting in a new line would make no difference to my situation - which was my last recourse.

No wireless in my area
    No cable in my area
    Satellite sucks for online gaming
    No chance of DSL - but no one can tell me WHY!!!!!!

c0y0te
    :o:o:o:o:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ Michael Wailing Zenith

Exactly my experience - enabled exchange (Blanchardstown), 2km away as the crow flies (4km at the absolute most), tel no. comes up as enabled on the ADSL site yet all the attempts to sign up (Eircon, UTV, Netsource) fail. Why ? There's no excuse for wiring up new estates with whatever string, wool etc Eircon have lying around then glibly saying (as I was told) "It's quite possible that your next door neighbour's line is fine but your's could still be no good. If you bought a second line it might work but we wouldn't guarantee it. Have you considered ISDN ?" Meanwhile, Telewest are dishing out residential 2Mbit in the UK... ever get the feeling that the world is passing you by ?

Advertisement