Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion's on small car purcahse

Options
  • 23-07-2003 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Were looking into buying a second car for my girlfriend. She's narrowed the choice down to a Toyota Yaris or a VW Polo. Looking to spend approx €8,000.

Any opinions on the 2 cars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Both possibly the most reliable best built cars in the class. The Polo is due to be replaced very shortly I think, so I would tend to go with the Yaris, they are nippy enough too for the engine thats in them. Both currently have good resale also. You're a winner either way, I just feel that although the Polo is a more elegant car with a nice solid feel, the toyota is a more modern motor. Toyota engines are legendary for relaibility also, even better in my opinion to VW's overhyped and underpowered units.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I'd personally go for the Polo - purely based on looks, as Quigs said, its a more elegant car...

With two proven cars like these though, it comes down to which one you prefer the look of, and the driving characteristics of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Yeah, the Polo is probably the better looking car, but a girl that works with me bought a new one last year and has been plagued with electrical problems. Toyota's in general give very little problems, my dad drove Toyota for about 20 years and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Have you ever seen the boot in a Yaris ? My God that's small.

I first car was a 99 Punto and it's boot was huge in comparison .

I'm not comparing a Punto to a Polo or a Yaris , cause the other two are way more expensive !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dont ask me why I think this but I suspect the Yaris would be more "girlfriend-friendly" if you know what I mean - brighter interiors, lighter controls etc.

I should proberly get a slap now for being sexist! :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that she wants to buy with safty in mind - NCAP results for superminis(http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm) show that a 96+ model polo (not 2000+) which your €8k would buy gets 3 stars whereas a yaris gets 4

Opinions?
    Polo - good solid german workmanship - bit of a boring interior.
    Yaris - looks horrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Yaris - good solid japanesse workmanship, but your right it looks horrible! Will propbably never give you any trouble though.

Polo - boring on both the inside and outside I think, looks better than the Yaris though. I've always been a bit dubious about VW reliability, I've know quite a few people having problems with Passats esp.

On looks I'd go for the Polo, but on reliability, resale and value for money probably the Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by kbannon
    I presume that she wants to buy with safty in mind - NCAP results for superminis(http://www.euroncap.com/results.htm) show that a 96+ model polo (not 2000+) which your €8k would buy gets 3 stars whereas a yaris gets 4

Opinions?
    Polo - good solid german workmanship - bit of a boring interior.
    Yaris - looks horrible!

I reckon the safety will sell the Yaris then as my 4 year old son will be travelling in the car a lot. I steered her towards the Polo/Yaris as in my mind they are both well built/economical/Good looks (for the female ;) ), good resale and safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 speedyboy

The yaris has a very lively 1L 16v engine 0-60 13.5 where as the polo is 0-60 in 17.5 one of the slowest new cars you can buy. Thres plenty of room in the back of the yaris with the back seats moving back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've driven both the Yaris and Polo, and found the Yaris miles better. Just a nicer car to drive. Nicer handling, more nimble, better ride quality, much better performance (for the same engine size) It's a much newer design, has a higher NCAP rating as already mentioned and will almost certainly be more reliable.

The Polo is just another overrated VW. Stodgy to drive, slow, boring as hell, hard seats, poor equipment levels. It doesn't compare to the Yaris in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the Yaris styling but at least they made an effort with the styling both interior and exterior The Polo is just a boring box in comparison and has no character whatsoever.

So if i were buying a small car and ha d to choose between yaris/polo I'd go for the Toyota every time.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
Advertisement