Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For Iol BBAND ppl...

Options
  • 23-07-2003 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Do you guys know if you got the service say the 21'st of July...do you have 5 gigs for rest of july and then it resets at beginning of August or until the 21'st of August?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Spud_Gun

As far as I know, its 5GB for that month. Your cap gets refreshed on midnight of the first of a new month. So in theory, you could be downloading something and paying for it (over the July cap) at 23:59 on the 31/07 and it should then be part of your new cap at 00:00 on the 01/08. Can anyone confirm that for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

for those of you who like me wondered, the 5 gig are for download AND upload

No edonkey for us I am afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Fabre

No edonkey for us I am afraid

I dont buy that...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

/points

/laughs like nelson

Seriously though why would you sign up for a service with a cap when you want to use edonkey or the like.

Yesterday alone I upladed 600ish megs and downloaded 1.4 gig between 7am and 11 pm.

I do regret signing up with BT, I have been looking forward getting adsl for quite a while and when the price came down, I signed up with the one cheaper than eircom.

Only discovered netsource much later... :mad:

But I have good hopes bt will go unlimited in the future since the bb offer is just starting to developp in Ireland.

In France for example you can get a 512k adsl connection for 29.99€ inc vat per month, no cap, no installation charge, cancel whenever you want and the modem is supplied for free...

But for now I will have to stick with what I have.

Anyway 5 gig is okay as long you know someone who can download and burn for you.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whoever told you that is a lying skank.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Is there going to be a download limit?
    You will be entitled to download up to 5 Gigabytes of information in any given month. If you go over this limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional downloaded material (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

Going by this, if I was currently with IOL my total additional cost would currently be, for this month, let's talk rough values, I'll round off gigabytes to 1000 megabytes, that's 33mb per euro, so about 30 euro per gigabyte, so we'll multiplay 30 euro by 35 gigabytes and we arrive at €1,050. Thank god I'm uncapped....

Pie I got that from BT technical support....

Mr Taz any chance your setting up a ftp?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

With my 128k up? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by PiE
    Whoever told you that is a lying skank.

Erm...no they're not...cap on any dsl service is for 'data transfer' which is download AND upload.

Fabre, the 'You can get 100mb dsl in timbuktu for 5 euro a month with no cap!' thing is so, so old. If you want cheap broadband, move to Northern Ireland, where you can get 1mb cable with a 1gig a day cap for the same price y'all are paying for IOL bb :-D

• Advertisement

eth0_ I gave france for example cuz' that where I come from, I was just stating bb is way less expensive in a few european countries since its been there longer, and that time and competition will take the prices down in Ireland too.

eth0_ I gave france for example cuz' that where I come from, I was just stating bb is way less expensive in a few european countries since its been there longer, and that time and competition will take the prices down in Ireland too.

Fair enough, just saying it's been spoken about more than enough on these forums and it's also off topic for this thread as well. Competition isn't going to bring prices down here at least not with dsl as eircom control the wholesale price for it. This *is* Ireland after all. :)

Just for info while we are at it, still off topic tho.

In France eircom is call france telecom and wanadoo is their internet divison, and were for a long time in a monopolistic position, and like here they have a terrible reputation.

They recently went to court because they were trying to kill their competitors by offering internet access at a price inferior to their rentability cost.

So don't underestimate eircom, remember just a couple of months ago, how they were proudly announcing a 50% discount on their adsl offer, just before BT BB became available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭50Cent

Is there going to be a download limit?

You will be entitled to download up to 5 Gigabytes of information in any given month. If you go over this limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional downloaded material (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)

Etho do you see that? It says download...5gb for download. NOT ****EN UPLOAD. DOWNLOAD...

I was talking to their sales people about this, and it is for download only. Upload is unrestricted. I specifically asked this as I am getting it with a view to playing games online, so unlimited upload is very important.

was told download and upload by their technical support....

how can we be sure if one says yes and the other says no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Taz! Uncapped DSL? You with Netsource?

Being told 2 different things by IOL isn't strange. I rang up asking one person about the state of my application and I was told that they had received no application. I rang again the same day and found out that my live will be active on the first of August. I sometimes think that they use those decision dice, 'pass the buck', 'deny everything', etc.

I have literally just rang IOL and asked about this issue and apparently they are not sure. She went off for a while and then came back and I was then told that "Upload will be included in your cap if you go mad on the upload". I naturally asked how they defined 'going mad'. She didn't know. She is getting an official company stance on this and will then mail it to me. I also said that their competitors don't charge for upload and if I had known about this before now, it definitely would have affected my application.

I'll post the mail here as soon as I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

ok heres my iol story about 5 weeks ago now i rang up from an application from i had to ring up again and try signing up on the internet before an applicaton from ever arrived each time saying that they had no record of my call eventually time passes and the application from finally arrives a week after i sent it there was still no response from iol so i gave them a ring they said theyd call me back.....an hour later they leave a message on my phone saying theyd lost my application from.....another hour passes and another message on my phone saying theyd found it again....kol me thinks finally things are moving....and i arrange my username and password...2 weeks later im still waiting on something to happen....is this normal or should i ring someone?and after reading some of the stories about slow iol bb connections these days im starting to get worried....

Originally posted by 50Cent
    Etho do you see that? It says download...5gb for download. NOT ****EN UPLOAD. DOWNLOAD...

I'm telling ye, it includes upload. I've heard of people being cut off till the end of the month because they had left upload/sharing enabled on kazaa/soulseek etc.
    If you don't believe me, ring tech support and ask to speak to a team leader...

• Advertisement

lol this is nuts...ill just wait for spud guns response...but then IOL will have to change their faq cos DOWNLOAD is DOWNLOAd and UPLOAD is UPLOAD...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

If it sais download on the faq thens thats what it is, not your fault Esat are a pack of tards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You have a 5gig limit for download and 5 gig limit for up load. if you downloaded 4.99 gigs and uploaded 0.02 gigs, you wouldn't break your cap because download and upload are seperate.

Anyway, I doubt i will even reach my cap!!

Me too to be very honest...im gonna have to use it all up though b4 august 1'st when its all clear and a new cap is out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

So do we have a 5gb limit for each month or for one month from the time we get it?

I just got mine the other day, very happy with it too might i add. It tends to slow up a little bit around evening time though but what do you expect, its 48/1 contention.

Cheers ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Ignore my last post. I got the answer. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    If it sais download on the faq thens thats what it is, not your fault Esat are a pack of tards.

No, if it says it in the terms & conditions then that's what it is.

Clownboy, do you often just invent things with your imagination like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

i cant believe there isnt one piece of practical information regarding this from esat. Would we be having 35 new threads a day, guessing answers if esat did their homework?
    there are as many versions as there are agents in esat.
    My understanding is that the cap includes both d/l and u/l.
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Originally posted by Balfa
    Clownboy, do you often just invent things with your imagination like that?

No, this is what i have been told. And how can upload be included in the download cap. We signed up for a 5 gig download cap, not a 5gig download and upload cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Beck Amerdam

5gb down
    It's probably 5gb up but since it's 4 times harder to hit your upload cap its a bit of a moot point.

Advertisement